1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 May '07 06:10
    We're taught as beginners to avoid isolating our pawns, and most of us have run into head-aches when we've had to defend isolated pawns. So why are there so many openings in which top players routinely isolate their queen pawn without batting an eye?
  2. washington
    Moves
    28 May '07 06:16
    they use that pawn as an outpost for knights and a battering ram in others. its for attacking purposes if you get sent into a passive position concider yourself screwed.
  3. Sydney
    Moves
    28 May '07 06:37
    http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/articles/opening/isolani/isolani-best-A.htm

An interesting lecture on just this topic

Enjoy!
  4. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    28 May '07 10:35
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    We're taught as beginners to avoid isolating our pawns, and most of us have run into head-aches when we've had to defend isolated pawns. So why are there so many openings in which top players routinely isolate their queen pawn without batting an eye?
    You need to make use of the open c and e files with your rooks.

D
  5. Joined
    02 Mar '07
    Moves
    28 May '07 11:59
    The IQP is an endgame disadvantage, but it can be a middle game advantage. It gives you two open files to attack down, and a space advantage which well help you attack. Here is an entire book on the IQP position http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Pawn-Structures-Alexander-Baburin/dp/0713480092
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    28 May '07 12:27
    The d-pawn can be used as a weapon! The general plan associated with this isolona is to prepare it's advance. If the side with the isolated pawn succeeds in building up superior pressure on the square in front of the pawn then then they end up with a centralised piece in the center once the exchanges finish. Alexander Baburin has written a whole book on handling this pawn as the position can be reached via numerous openings. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the most common middle game position as it can be reached from both 1.e4 and 1.d4 (so that includes the French, QG, Nimzo to name but a few...) I have this book and now try to transpose into this position whenever possible. I recommend it but it's fairly advanced. It wasn't beyond me but I wasn't convinced my time would be well spent reading the whole thing as this position doesn't come up often enough for me to really get heavy into the theory...
  7. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    28 May '07 13:13
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    The d-pawn can be used as a weapon! The general plan associated with this isolona is to prepare it's advance. If the side with the isolated pawn succeeds in building up superior pressure on the square in front of the pawn then then they end up with a centralised piece in the center once the exchanges finish. Alexander Baburin has written a whole book on ...[text shortened]... s this position doesn't come up often enough for me to really get heavy into the theory...
    baburin's book was the reason I switched from 1.e4 to 1.d4.
  8. Joined
    12 Apr '07
    Moves
    28 May '07 13:23
    Very usefull site !
    thanks
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 May '07 14:31
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Nimzowich called the isolated QP the "isolani',wrote a book about it, it can be a good or bad thing.
  10. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 May '07 22:15
    Thanx to all of you. I'll check out those materials.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree