1. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    13 Dec '08 11:33
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,595819,00.html

In my opinion, there is no drug which can give a player a winning advantage. Bring it on.
  2. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    13 Dec '08 12:35
    I have investigated extensively the benefits of playing chess while consuming scotch and my research leads me to conclude that it is of no help at all.
  3. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    13 Dec '08 15:31
    Believe it or not, drugs/alcohol can help some people.
    I had a friend that could never win a game off me.
    One night, he drank about six beer(s)(?) and beat me pretty well.
    I wasn't drinking, but he was. He played a lot better with beer. I think it just cleared his mind of all stress and allowed him to relax. This in turn gave him total concentration. It may not help everyone, but it helped him.

* Side story

Playing chess for 36 hours will kill your game. 🙂
    I once went to a friend's and won a pretty one sided battle.
    That night I went home and played net chess all night.
    The next day, I went back for a rematch.
    It wasn't even a close battle. I was hanging pieces, walking into two movers, and everything. Long hours and chess don't mix.
    Now, I try not to even play rated blitz online after I've been up more than 12 hours (The same rule applies to poker.).
    🙂
  4. over your head
    Moves
    13 Dec '08 17:32
    'Because, after losing a game, he goes into the forest at night and howls at the moon to drive out the demons. Because he walks around in shorts in freezing temperatures. Because he likes to sit in dark rooms. Because he usually looks at the ceiling instead of the board during a chess match. Because he tries to fold the oversized winner's check handed out after a tournament down to pocket size.'

are you quite sure he's not on drugs?
  5. Standard memberfennyin
    Crack Suicide Squad
    Ellicott City, MD
    Moves
    13 Dec '08 17:49
    Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
    I have investigated extensively the benefits of playing chess while consuming scotch and my research leads me to conclude that it is of no help at all.
    I think you're doing it wrong.

Russians are good at chess. Russians drink vodka. Obviously there is a connection that requires further investigation.
  6. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    13 Dec '08 17:52
    Originally posted by fennyin
    I think you're doing it wrong.

Russians are good at chess. Russians drink vodka. Obviously there is a connection that requires further investigation.
    Hmm, you make a good point. I've been investigating only the effects of scotch. OK, now I'll study the effects of vodka!
  7. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    14 Dec '08 08:15
    Originally posted by Exuma

In my opinion, there is no drug which can give a player a winning advantage. Bring it on.
    I agree 100%. All this doping stuff is nonsense! 😏
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '08 09:33
    Originally posted by Exuma

there is an argument that states that amphetamines 'may', increase a persons 'intelligence', for the duration of its course, and that many of the psychedelic art produced as a direct result of experimentation in the early to late sixties was the direct result of external stimulus, aiding the imagination and creative processes, whether this translates to better chess i have no idea and would recommend a different course for improvement.
  9. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '08 09:41
    Sammy Reshevsky would disagree....

Apparently turned up to a tourney game very late and played nursing a large bottle of scotch.

Nearly won too.

Although it may have been a 6 pack...either way he was "pre-medicated" before arrival and continued "medicating" through the game.
  10. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    14 Dec '08 15:18
    Originally posted by Tengu
    Sammy Reshevsky would disagree....

Apparently turned up to a tourney game very late and played nursing a large bottle of scotch.

Nearly won too.

Although it may have been a 6 pack...either way he was "pre-medicated" before arrival and continued "medicating" through the game.
    Hmm, obviously I'm therefore going to have to investigate the effects of different brands of scotch. This will take considerable effort.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '08 15:211 edit
    Hmm, obviously I'm therefore going to have to investigate the effects of different brands of scotch. This will take considerable effort.
    try first the island malts, then the speyside, then the highland, then the lowland and then the Orkney!
  12. washington
    Moves
    14 Dec '08 18:02
    So none of you think doping may have helped his performance? 6-8 hours of playing tournament games takes a toll on the mind and stamina for some people cannot last all day. The mind starts to do worse as the day goes on. Doping would allow him to have better stamina for longer. I think it could have a benefit, it may hot help him in the earlier rounds, but possibly in the latter rounds it would help. I know that after a day of chess sometimes my head starts to hurt towards the end of the last game.
  13. USA
    Moves
    15 Dec '08 02:10
    Perhaps further experimentation is necessary. Let's play a game, and you can test it out one more time 😛
  14. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    15 Dec '08 04:53
    Originally posted by kmac27
    So none of you think doping may have helped his performance? 6-8 hours of playing tournament games takes a toll on the mind and stamina for some people cannot last all day. The mind starts to do worse as the day goes on. Doping would allow him to have better stamina for longer. I think it could have a benefit, it may hot help him in the earlier rounds, but po ...[text shortened]... now that after a day of chess sometimes my head starts to hurt towards the end of the last game.
    Well, yeah, it could have helped him but as he lost the game to a lower-rated player I doubt he took Ritalin or any of the like
  15. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    15 Dec '08 06:45
    I can definitely say that a bottle of scotch helps my game tremendously. That is, when the other player is drinking it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree