1. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 14:07
    Is there any opening that suits players that would rather castle queenside?
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 14:08
    Not per se. Just remember, you don't have to play exactly the moves given in the book and if your opponent deviates, the move which was previously best, may not be so anymore (giving you an opportunity to set up a Q-side castle).
  3. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 14:121 edit
    Originally posted by zebano
    Not per se. Just remember, you don't have to play exactly the moves given in the book and if your opponent deviates, the move which was previously best, may not be so anymore (giving you an opportunity to set up a Q-side castle).
    ok.
    I just asked cause a lot of openings seem to "be made" for king side castling. I think i would rather castle queenside and have my rook to control a file.
    In some of my games i'm quite a late castler and usually when it happens i do it queenside to control a file, but if it where an opening built for it that would be nice...
    Anyway thanks for the reply.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 20:26
    Well, most of the more violent attacks against the Sicilian defence involve white castling queenside. The problem is that you can't guarentee that your opponent is going to play 1. ... c5.

In general the problem with queenside castling is that you have to move the queen before you can castle, so it takes you longer to get your king to safety, and there is also the issue that the rooks pawn is left unprotected by the king; both of which make it less attractive.

Basically, I think that is that you shouldn't have a rigid plan of developement in the opening as what you do is going to some extent be determined by what your opponent is up to.
  5. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    11 Feb '07 20:47
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Well, most of the more violent attacks against the Sicilian defence involve white castling queenside. The problem is that you can't guarentee that your opponent is going to play 1. ... c5.

In general the problem with queenside castling is that you have to move the queen before you can castle, so it takes you longer to get your king to safety, and the ...[text shortened]... e opening as what you do is going to some extent be determined by what your opponent is up to.
    Yes i realized that queenside castling is a little bit trickyer and more risky but i just want to give it a try a little more often.

As for flowing with my oponents i try to do it and i think that my games only have in commom that first five maximum. And i think that's a good thing because i don't want to become rigid but on the other side i want to learn some theory to and some strong lines rather that depending on instinct most of the time.

And thanks for the advices. 🙂
  6. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 02:25
    The only opening I am aware of in which White castles Queenside in the main lines is the Curry Opening. White usually makes the following moves no matter what Black is doing:

1 d4
    2 Nf3
    3 Bg5 (So far the opening is a Torre Attack)
    4 e3
    5 Bd3
    6 c3
    7 Nbd2
    8 Qc2
    9 O-O-O.

About the only time that White doesn't castle Queenside in the Curry Opening is if Black uses the opening phase to be aggressvie on the Queenside.

I've played the Curry Opening in blitz: winning some and losing some (like with everything else I've played!).
  7. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 11:14
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    The only opening I am aware of in which White castles Queenside in the main lines is the Curry Opening. White usually makes the following moves no matter what Black is doing:

1 d4
    2 Nf3
    3 Bg5 (So far the opening is a Torre Attack)
    4 e3
    5 Bd3
    6 c3
    7 Nbd2
    8 Qc2
    9 O-O-O.

About the only time that White doesn't castle Queenside in the Cur ...[text shortened]... rry Opening in blitz: winning some and losing some (like with everything else I've played!).
    ok.
    thanks a lot for this one.
    i'll try o use it on my future games and see where it takes me.

have fun
  8. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 11:47
    Although in some openings castling one way or the other is all but forced, I have had numerous OTB games where I've moved all the minor pieces and my queen before castling, so I can choose which side (if at all) at a later point. It makes it difficult for your opponent to form a game plan if they're not sure where your king will be in a few moves time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree