1. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 01:501 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Usually they agree to draw or one person resigns before they actually get there, because both players see it coming.
    that probably applies to a lot of amateur endings with a piece (or two) down as well. people simply resign after losing a piece.

one of the most shocking initial endgame study revelations to me, was how non-trivial winning them a piece up really is. like learning rook endings and running into 'a forced win' with queening a pawn against a rook, over and over again, then suddenly realizing: "wait, I can't mate with Q vs R?!?" (-then I of course went and taught myself just that)
  2. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    13 Oct '10 02:50
    I think the endgame imbalances are highly indicative of the opening you choose. I have often gotten R+B v R and never had KBN v K -.
    Outside maybe 1 or 2 blitz games I have never gotten KBB v K

The only interesting ending I have recently is Q+ pawn v RB where we both had 2 pawns on the otherside of the board allowing me to break the fortress.

The only caveat to that is that in OTB I wont hesitate to sac a minor piece to have a won pawn endame-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree