1. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    01 Mar '06 15:24
    Originally posted by Prashant
    That was nasty friend.
    Simul or not, Win against Gazza is any chess player's dream.
    I would not have been able to sleep for a few days. Too busy ... umm ... playing with myself.
  2. Joined
    20 Oct '02
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 22:55
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Yeah, it just doesn't compare with your many victories over World Champions.
    😀
  3. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    03 Mar '06 23:17
    Originally posted by micarr
    Gazza v Mr. Tebb is game of the day at chessgames.com:
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1311655
    12. Nxf5?! was a bit of a mad one from the greatest player ever!
    An accomplishment? David Tebb was playing Kasparov in a simul, and David Tebb is 2200+??? He's a strong master. Now, keep in mind that simuls usually do not have players over 1700-1900 give or take. The reason for this: it's difficult enough to slam 50 2000 strength players in a row, even for the World Champion. Kasparov is just walking around from board to board - not playing is strongest as he would against a World Championship challenger. It's a way different situation. It's like a 1700 player playing 20 1300 players and just walking around from board to board. I guarantee you that 1700 player is going to lose 1 of those games - unless he's just in a great mood and at the height of his game that day. I remember my high school best friend played Susan Polgar in West Palm Beach during her simul. He lost, but of the guys drew her. He thought he was the best thing since sliced bread, but they were rather upset with him because he did not reveal his true strength. They didn't want players over 1800 at simul boards. So, Tebb didn't beat the real Kasparov. He just played a great game in a simul against Kasparov. People have been known to draw him in simuls aso.
  4. Joined
    20 Sep '02
    Moves
    04 Mar '06 15:54
    Originally posted by powershaker
    An accomplishment? David Tebb was playing Kasparov in a simul, and David Tebb is 2200+??? He's a strong master. Now, keep in mind that simuls usually do not have players over 1700-1900 give or take. The reason for this: it's difficult enough to slam 50 2000 strength players in a row, even for the World Champion. Kasparov is just walking around from ...[text shortened]... reat game in a simul against Kasparov. People have been known to draw him in simuls aso.
    I agree that of course Kasparov is not the same player when replying instantly compared to having time to study a position in depth however it is an accomplishment to play and win in a KID against the worlds expert on this opening. Kasparov played a very dubious sac and that was that. It is rare for players above 1900+ to play in simuls but it is Kasparov after all. Pity he is not at Linares (GK that is 😉)
  5. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 04:01
    An accomplishment? David Tebb was playing Kasparov in a simul, and David Tebb is 2200+??? He's a strong master. Now, keep in mind that simuls usually do not have players over 1700-1900 give or take. The reason for this: it's difficult enough to slam 50 2000 strength players in a row, even for the World Champion. Kasparov is just walking around from ...[text shortened]... reat game in a simul against Kasparov. People have been known to draw him in simuls aso.
    Kasparov played the Isarali Chess Olympiad team (average FIDE rating of 2600) and won every game. He has played the Czech team in a clock simul (much tougher on the simul player) (2586 average) and won 5.5-2.5 over two simuls. He has also defeated the German and Argentine teams in simuls.

I played in a 30 board simul against Nigel Short recently. The boards ranged from 1200 rated up to FIDE(2200). Nigel won all but one (a draw). The organizers wished to know the strength of the opponents (they put them in rating order so Nigel knew who was who) but no one was restricted from facing him. A few titled players (FMs and a IM I think) played him during the tour.

First powershaker makes excuses for his own play and now Kasparov's.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 04:48
    I always get confused between judit and susan. The sim. you are talking about, is that the big one where they broke the world record and it occurred last year ? That had this big thing about it in chessbase.

That's pretty dumb to limit it to 1800 players. That's almost like cheating. She's 2500ish, minus say 300 point for a simul, 2200 and she can only play against 1800? I wonder who will win. From the results she won most of the games anyways but I wonder why 😛
  7. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 12:13
    Where are you holidaying? On the moon?
  8. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 02:25
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Kasparov played the Isarali Chess Olympiad team (average FIDE rating of 2600) and won every game. He has played the Czech team in a clock simul (much tougher on the simul player) (2586 average) and won 5.5-2.5 over two simuls. He has also defeated the German and Argentine teams in simuls.

I played in a 30 board simul against Nigel Short recently. The b ...[text shortened]... ed him during the tour.

First powershaker makes excuses for his own play and now Kasparov's.
    Well, just shoot me then! HAHA!
  9. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 02:26
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Where are you holidaying? On the moon?
    No, I'm flying to Hawaii tomorrow. Changing libraries from Oregon to Hawaii. LOL Luckily I have wireless in Hawaii, so won't have to worry about the library any longer. Wooo hooo! Plus, now I can pay at my full strength of 1700-1799 - instead of having too play quick chess on here. Yahooooo!!!!
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 03:06
    No, I'm flying to Hawaii tomorrow. Changing libraries from Oregon to Hawaii. LOL Luckily I have wireless in Hawaii, so won't have to worry about the library any longer. Wooo hooo! Plus, now I can pay at my full strength of 1700-1799 - instead of having too play quick chess on here. Yahooooo!!!!
    Your 'proper' rating is now in the 1700s rather than the 1600 you used to claim?
  11. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 03:082 edits
    Your 'proper' rating is now in the 1700s rather than the 1600 you used to claim?
    No. It use to be 1621, but I have been forced to move rather quickly. I plan on getting my RHP rating to 1700 when I arrive in Hawaii because I'll have wireless on my laptop when on the island of O'ahu. Right now I'm only a few hundred points less in rating than you are and I don't even spend much thought on my moves. I should be within 200 points of you sooner or later once in Hawaii. Then, we can play, and you can suffer the brunt of my bishopy blows, Xanthy! hehe Right now, I've got two good games going against a 1740+ player (jerbee) and I should guzzle down some points from those two games. Should be interesting. If only he would resign. He's already lost in one for sure! But, just my luck. When they're about to lose they don't even move and wait as long as possible.
  12. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 03:321 edit
    No. It use to be 1621, but I have been forced to move rather quickly. I plan on getting my RHP rating to 1700 when I arrive in Hawaii because I'll have wireless on my laptop when on the island of O'ahu. Right now I'm only a few hundred points less in rating than you are and I don't even spend much thought on my moves. I should be within 200 points of my luck. When they're about to lose they don't even move and wait as long as possible.
    This is me hereby calling you out. Put up or shut up. A pair of 3/14 games. Send it over.

Unless you are too chicken. Don't worry I move quickly.
  13. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 08:25
    No. It use to be 1621, but I have been forced to move rather quickly. I plan on getting my RHP rating to 1700 when I arrive in Hawaii because I'll have wireless on my laptop when on the island of O'ahu. Right now I'm only a few hundred points less in rating than you are and I don't even spend much thought on my moves. I should be within 200 points of ...[text shortened]... my luck. When they're about to lose they don't even move and wait as long as possible.
    For a raving Christian you show a distinct, and slightly ugly, lack of humility.
  14. Behind you...
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 11:04
    I still can't believe that damn thing took place right here in my hometown and I missed it!
  15. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    12 Mar '06 04:181 edit
    This is me hereby calling you out. Put up or shut up. A pair of 3/14 games. Send it over.

Unless you are too chicken. Don't worry I move quickly.
    Mardi Gras came and went
    All my money has been spent
    How am I gonna pay the rent?
    Who mistook the steak for chicken?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree