1. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 17:52
    Kings Indian Attack as white and the PIRC and Kings Indian as black and you're all set. It's basically the same setup so why play anything else? I read about it in Winning chess openings. By Yasser Seirawan. I'm good for life. Now I just need to get good and take over the world. Try it out.
  2. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 18:47
    I admire your simplicity. Destroy all foes!
  3. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 18:59
    I can't figure out if that is a compliment or a subtle jab at my intelligence.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 01:17
    I am leaning towards knowing your first move based on your opponent's first move. After that any system causes you to stop having a reason for what you do.

Then you have to start thinking after you run out of opening.

On the clock? Sure memorized opening saves time. A place like this? No time advantage.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 05:56
    Originally posted by @nevare
    Kings Indian Attack as white and the PIRC and Kings Indian as black and you're all set. It's basically the same setup so why play anything else? I read about it in Winning chess openings. By Yasser Seirawan. I'm good for life. Now I just need to get good and take over the world. Try it out.
    The downside of the KIA is that Black isn't under any pressure during the first 10 moves.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 15:15
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    The downside of the KIA is that Black isn't under any pressure during the first 10 moves.
    If u are in book to 10 moves anyhow, where is the pressure?
  7. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 16:061 edit
    It's not really bookish... considering your opponent can develop however they want. If that makes sense. It's a system. Hell Bobby Fischer liked it as white against the French.
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 17:531 edit
    Originally posted by @eladar
    If u are in book to 10 moves anyhow, where is the pressure?
    Same place it always was: on the board. The book tells you how some people have dealt with it in the past. It doesn't play the resulting middle game for you. It also doesn't tend to show common mistakes the pressured side may make, because masters are not going to play those moves.
  9. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 20:45
    Same place it always was: on the board. The book tells you how some people have dealt with it in the past. It doesn't play the resulting middle game for you. It also doesn't tend to show common mistakes the pressured side may make, because masters are not going to play those moves.
    I couldn't have said it better.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 02:59
    Does not book equalize?
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 03:10
    I couldn't have said it better.
    Then you understand the inherent weakness of your approach as white.
  12. Standard membernevare
    TRUMP
    Canada
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 04:43
    At our level we are not good enough to maintain an advantage with white. Your only job in the opening is to get a playable middle game. Positions that you feel comfortable with.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 12:43
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Does not book equalize?
    Not always. Some lines end in the infamous "unclear" assessment, or with still a slight plus for white.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 13:32
    At our level we are not good enough to maintain an advantage with white. Your only job in the opening is to get a playable middle game. Positions that you feel comfortable with.
    How are you going to get better if you do not try?
  15. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    14 Jun '18 13:332 edits
    Decent openings, though before you take over the world, you'll occasionally have to deal with nagging little details like middlegames and endgames. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree