1. Joined
    05 Jul '10
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 19:511 edit
    Hi, I am relatively new to this website and I was wondering what your intake was on the King's gambit.

The Kings gambit is my toughest opening. Your help would be appreciated.

What should we do next?
  2. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 19:59
    Originally posted by DavidNeff
    Hi, I am relatively new to this website and I was wondering what your intake was on the King's gambit.

The Kings gambit is my toughest opening. Your help would be appreciated.

[pgn]1. e4 e5 2. f4[/pgn]

What should we do next?
    It varies from person to person.

If you want to just equalize safely and get a playable middlegame, there is 2. ... Bc5.

If you want to take a risk and go for the initiative, try 2. ... d5.

If you want to go for an all out refutation, play 2. ... exf4. This is probably the best way to play it, but it requires some good defensive technique.

If you have been bit by a rabid dog and want to take someone down with you, burn all bridges and play the Shirazi variation. It is EXTREMELY risky and unsound, but how else can you turn chess into a streetfight in two moves?

3. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 22:41
    Take the pawn and learn from each game.
  4. Joined
    24 Jun '10
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 23:14
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Agree with this.

If 1...e5 is your main response to 1...e4 you're definitely best off learning the most critical variations. I think Fischer's recommendation is still the main line, which definitely gives black an advantage:

Never underestimate the KG though... classic (or maybe a "modern"?) mistake really. It's an extremely sharp opening and seemingly benign moves can resonant quite loudly. So tread lightly.

Probably not worth it to learn a lot of lines though... You'll see the KG a lot less than the Ruy, Giuoco, or Scotch.

Just don't obsess over holding on to the extra pawn and you should be fine... Your top priorities should always be king safety and the initiative, followed by material considerations. If you're given the opportunity to return the pawn for a comfortable game, don't be a miser, let it go!

If you run into the KG in blitz however, it's probably best to go 2...d5 as it offers more opportunity to seize the initiative early in the game.

Actually I take that back. Just do whatever you want in blitz as everyone plays rubbish!
  5. e4
    Moves
    17 Sep '10 00:37
    I'd say Nimzo is on the right path. Learn from your games.

If an opening is giving trouble (most of which will be in the mind).
    Then play it. You play the KG. Players will do awkward things
    against you, it's their job.

Play the thing from both sides. It's the only way for you to find it's
    strengths and weakness's.

Or play 2....Nf6

That is a Latvian Gambit with White a move in hand.
    Most of them won't have clue what to do.
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    17 Sep '10 01:29
    Originally posted by DivGradCurl
    Agree with this.

If 1...e5 is your main response to 1...e4 you're definitely best off learning the most critical variations. I think Fischer's recommendation is still the main line, which definitely gives black an advantage:

[pgn]1.e4 e5 2.f4 exf4 3.Nf3 d6 4.d4 g5 5.h4 g4 6.Ng1[/pgn]

Never underestimate the KG though... classic (or maybe a "mode ...[text shortened]... tually I take that back. Just do whatever you want in blitz as everyone plays rubbish!
    Back in 1992 GM Joe Gallagher wrote

"Over the last few years this (the Fischer) has developed into the most popular way of accepting the gambit. Personally, I feel quite happy about this as Black seems to be struggling in most of the lines."

Variations go in and out of fashion, but I don't think any of them have refuted the KG as of this point in time. Like many of the posts indicate, there are a wealth of reasonable responses that give black a playable game, and the beauty is that there is something for every style.
  7. timed out again
    Moves
    18 Sep '10 11:08
    1. Do some free research on the KG. (advisable)
    http://exeterchessclub.org.uk/Openings/kg_ideas.html
    http://www.eudesign.com/chessops/kgam-app.htm

2. Get a book on the KG. (not advisable)

3. Play the KG accepted.

Simples!
  8. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    18 Sep '10 13:43
    Or play the Nordwalder : 1.e4 e5 2.f4 Qf6. It isn't perfectly sound, but white players who are not familiar with this will underestimate the black setup.
  9. Standard membertheonecolin
    Theonecolin
    London
    Moves
    21 Sep '10 09:52
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I'm with nimzo here , i used to hate the KG , as i did not know how to play it , and the aggressive f4 pawn used to send me into a spin as to what to do. So i started to play it myself , read a few books , played it OTB , and learnt - now i love it !

Since January this year when i have played the KGA ( I have checked and my scores ) and the results are - Wins 13 - Losses 1 - draws 0

So accept the pawn and have fun learning through experience it leads to great aggressive games

Colin

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree