Knight for a Bishop?

Knight for a Bishop?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
01 May 07

It really depends on the situation.

But whatever you decided, make sure you nurture your advantage. If you have 2 bishops after he trades, then open up the position since the bishops will dominate. But if he doesn't take your knight and perhaps later on you trade your bishop for his knight, then you will have 1 knight vs 1 bishop for him. Find a good outpost for your knight and try to close the position.

Try to make your minor piece better then his minor piece -> Nurture.

Y

Moves
01 May 07

http://www.wholesalechess.com/chess/recommended_chess_books/How+to+Reassess+Your+Chess%3A+The+Complete+Chess-Mastery+Course

MR

Moves
01 May 07

Originally posted by YUG0slav
http://www.wholesalechess.com/chess/recommended_chess_books/How+to+Reassess+Your+Chess%3A+The+Complete+Chess-Mastery+Course
My guess is that most of that book would be too advanced for him right now.

Y

Moves
01 May 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Mad Rook
then read

http://www.wholesalechess.com/chess/recommended_chess_books/Play+Winning+Chess

and do a bunch of tactical problems first

but seriously, I can't think of any reason for an ascending player not to get Reassess your Chess

m

Richmond Hill

Moves
02 May 07
1 edit

I hate when people force me to double up pawns by pinning and then capturing a knight with a bishop. But, I like my bishops better than my knights anyways so it's not such a bad deal for me. I wonder, though, is it really worth using a turn to interpose with a bishop to avoid doubling up pawns? I mean, that kind of wastes time developing, especially early in the game, which is when this situation often occurs. And also, if the knight is captured by the bishop in a situation like the one posted earlier in the thread, is it better to capture with the queen-pawn to open up the file for the queen, or to capture with the queenside kight-pawn, to try to gain more control of the center? Are there any huge advantages or disadvantages to either?

g

Moves
02 May 07

In general, a pair of bishops is stronger than a pair of knights because 2 bishops complement each other in coverage. Knights are a bit of a loner piece, and definitely do not work efficiently as a pair.

This fact is best shown by the fact that King + 2 bishops VS Lone king can be forced mate in almost every possible arrangement (bishops on opposite colors, of course), whereas King + 2 knights VS Lone king almost always draws (although helpmate is possible.).

Knights, however, have other advantages over bishops, such as mobility in closed positions, lack of color weakness, and a highly effective forking ability.

As such, while bishops have a slight edge over knights overall, both pieces are still moreorless equal, and aspects of the current position, or a particular strategy may point towards exchanging your bishop for a knight as being the best option.

As for positions such as the Ruy Lopez, forcing the issue with a rook-pawn (a6) thrust is generally the most popular response, although there are some alternative responses out there that are probably very sound, many of which may involve ignoring the pin for the time being.

EH

Moves
05 May 07

Originally posted by range blasts
Yet... The bishops are very threatening, if you get caught with a bishop pair, be careful!
So very true!

S

Moves
05 May 07

2 other things to bear in mind concern the pawn structure when & if you decide to exchange.

Would exchanging benefit you by forcing a pawn re-take that gives your opponent doubled pawns or a 1/2 open or open file for your rook or queen? This structural weakness can be a game-winner.

Is the pawn structure closed or open & is the possible exchanged bishop good or bad?
If it's closed & especially if you have a bad bishop (ie the light-square bishop & most of your own pawns are on light-squares & are unlikely to move) then almost definately exchange bishop for knight.
If the game is open, or your bishop is active (opposite coloured square than those of your pawns) then generally knights become less important.

I have a very slight preference for bishops, as I always intend to play open games.

z

Moves
05 May 07

Originally posted by allostery
In the position above, the proper response is 3...a6, which now forces white to make a decision whether to take or back off. Otherwise, white would prefer to just leave his bishop there until he can build a strong attack. Overall, a very even trade if it goes down, but this will depend on your style of play.
The accepted answer is 3... a6. Capablanca rarely played such a move and still won. There are playable lines where black doesn't push a6 and instead plays an immediate Nf6.

EH

Moves
06 May 07

???

EH

Moves
06 May 07

Thanks to those of you who have offered help...

MR

Moves
06 May 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Evey Hammond
???
The reason that I said most of How To Reassess Your Chess would probably be too advanced for you is that Dan Heisman recommends that book for people rated above 1650 USCF (except for the first 52 pages, which are much more basic than the rest of the book's total 400 pages), and I'm guessing that you're not there yet. (Neither am I, I have a long way to go to reach that rating.)

EH

Moves
07 May 07

The reason that I said most of How To Reassess Your Chess would probably be too advanced for you is that Dan Heisman recommends that book for people rated above 1650 USCF (except for the first 52 pages, which are much more basic than the rest of the book's total 400 pages), and I'm guessing that you're not there yet. (Neither am I, I have a long way to go to reach that rating.)
Thanks for clarifying, because at first, I thought you were insulting me. 😉

S

Moves
07 May 07

Originally posted by Evey Hammond
Thanks for clarifying, because at first, I thought you were insulting me. 😉
I'm finding it tough-going.

Winning chess strategies or logical chess: move by move are probably better bets for 1200-1600's to be honest.

EH

Moves
07 May 07

Originally posted by Squelchbelch
I'm finding it tough-going.

Winning chess strategies or logical chess: move by move are probably better bets for 1200-1600's to be honest.
Yes?