Korch

Korch

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
05 Sep 08

Originally posted by Jie
Is that woodworm on no 8 the noisemaker who is present in the forums? He has done well to be reach that level considering the empty noise he makes in the forums.
what empty noise are you talking about?

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
05 Sep 08

Originally posted by Jie
Is that woodworm on no 8 the noisemaker who is present in the forums? He has done well to be reach that level considering the empty noise he makes in the forums.
it's pretty funny that you try to pretend like you didn't remember my name, when you've send me a 'buddy-pm' which leaves me little doubt of you knowing me from 'before'.

you know, you really suck at this impersonation stuff. every step you take, you trip over.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
06 Sep 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Fat Lady
I don't think it's fair to assume that any highly rated player who keeps their real identity secret is an engine user. I'm sure there's more than one genuine player above Korch in the ratings list!
Wrong, i'm like greenpawn it just doesn't feel right.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
06 Sep 08

Originally posted by diskamyl
what empty noise are you talking about?
close your eyes and pick. 😕

rc

Moves
06 Sep 08

Originally posted by eldragonfly
close your eyes and pick. 😕
this is indeed unfair and unfounded, most of the hollow stuff comes from when people start to get personal, you know like saying things that they would not normally say to a persons face, i guess one could call it cowardly, anyhow, there are so many good things going on, if ones stays clear of the personal stuff there are many good and thoughtful contributors and much to be learned, is there not?

e4

Moves
06 Sep 08

Originally posted by eldragonfly
Wrong, i'm like greenpawn it just doesn't feel right.
I am being quoted - why?
I have not appeared on this threead.

Just for the record though. I do agree with Fat Lady.

"I don't think it's fair to assume that any highly rated player who keeps their real identity secret is an engine user. I'm sure there's more than one genuine player above Korch in the ratings list!"

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
07 Sep 08

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Just for the record though. I do agree with Fat Lady.
NorrisB makes a very telling point. and greenpawn maybe it wasn't you but someone commented months ago probably here that engine use was a package deal, just doesn't feel right or words to that effect, when prompted for standout clues or telltale signs of an engine/user opponent.

r
the walrus

an English garden

Moves
07 Sep 08

Originally posted by NorrisB
He should be #2 behind Northern Lad #1
What about Weyerstrass?

s

Moves
10 Sep 08

An a somewhat seperate note, Korch is a lawyer, speaks very good English (although it's not his 1st language as far as I know) and has a chess rating far, far higher than I will ever have.

No fair 🙁

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
10 Sep 08

Originally posted by randolph
What about Weyerstrass?
What about him?

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
10 Sep 08

Originally posted by stockton1984
An a somewhat seperate note, Korch is a lawyer, speaks very good English (although it's not his 1st language as far as I know) and has a chess rating far, far higher than I will ever have.

No fair 🙁
How do you know this?

[I am not saying it is wrong but] you only have his profile to tell you this and the fact that his flag is set to Latvia.

Of course his profile may be 100% true and he may be living in Latvia but you don't know this for sure, no one does, not about Korch or anything anyone else here tells us.

FL

Moves
10 Sep 08

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
How do you know this?

[I am not saying it is wrong but] you only have his profile to tell you this and the fact that his flag is set to Latvia.

Of course his profile may be 100% true and he may be living in Latvia but you don't know this for sure, no one does, not about Korch or anything anyone else here tells us.
I think we can be very confident that someone is who they claim to be when they take part in a real over-the-board tournament and post games and comments from it. Korch has done this, as has David Tebb.

Similarly, when greenpawn34 says he going to put a game in his "Chandler Cornered" column (http://www.chessedinburgh.co.uk/chandler.php - some great comic covers this week) and then, lo and behold, the said game appears there a day or so later, I think you really have to believe that he genuinely is Geoff Chandler (and why would anyone pretend to be that poor unfortunate anyway?).

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
10 Sep 08
4 edits

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
How do you know this?

Actually here are some guys from Latvia (skydiver Portugalis kbaumen)which can confirm my identity. Also greenpawn`s friend FM Neil Berry (who played in Riga 2008) have seen me in real life and can confirm that I`m from Latvia and that I` play OTB chess 😀

v

Moves
10 Sep 08

Originally posted by Fat Lady
I think we can be very confident that someone is who they claim to be when they take part in a real over-the-board tournament and post games and comments from it. Korch has done this, as has David Tebb.

Similarly, when greenpawn34 says he going to put a game in his "Chandler Cornered" column (http://www.chessedinburgh.co.uk/chandler.php - some great comi ...[text shortened]... enuinely is Geoff Chandler (and why would anyone pretend to be that poor unfortunate anyway?).
No, no, he promised also to put there one of my games but he did not do it(yet 😀)

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
10 Sep 08

Originally posted by Korch
Actually here are some guys from Latvia (skydiver Portugalis kbaumen)which can confirm my identity. Also greenpawn`s friend FM Neil Berry (who played in Riga 2008) have seen me in real life and can confirm that I`m from Latvia and that I` play OTB chess 😀
I believe who you are but I am just making the point that one should not meekly accept what someone says in their profile.

Of course based on other substansive evidence the validity of their profile may be proven but there is no way for most of us to know this and hence who to believe and who not to.

Perhaps players who have legitimate OTB ratings and have proven this should have a field on their profile indicating a genuine player with their proven rating. This should be easy to implement