1. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 00:30
    Was Deep Fritz's artificial intelligence developed enough to gloat and mock Kramnik over it's easy win?
  2. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 00:46
    Funny, the ICC commentary being on its break when the tragic move was made. Tantamount to having an advertisement when the winning goal or touchdown is scored.
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 00:47
    Originally posted by bosintang
    [fen]5N1k/q5p1/7p/4P3/pp2Q3/8/1P4PP/2b4K[/fen]

Black to play

1...Qe3?? 2. Qh7# (!!!! 😳)
    I don't understand how fritz could make such a horrible blunder.
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 00:52
    Originally posted by LanndonKane
    I don't understand how fritz could make such a horrible blunder.
    Do you mean Fritz had something better than mate in one?
  5. The sky
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 01:00
    Originally posted by lausey
    Was Deep Fritz's artificial intelligence developed enough to gloat and mock Kramnik over it's easy win?
    It really should have a gloating function. That reminds me of the comments Chessmaster gives when analysing the game, like "yikes", "uh-oh", or "much better is...", delivered in a condescending tone.
  6. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 01:15
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    It really should have a gloating function. That reminds me of the comments Chessmaster gives when analysing the game, like "yikes", "uh-oh", or "much better is...", delivered in a condescending tone.
    My favorite is

"Ouch" This trades a Queen a Rook 2 knights and 5 pawns for a pawn. Much better is...
  7. The sky
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 01:21
    Originally posted by briancron
    My favorite is

"Ouch" This trades a Queen a Rook 2 knights and 5 pawns for a pawn. Much better is...
    Lol.
  8. Garner, NC
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 03:26
    Originally posted by bosintang
    [fen]5N1k/q5p1/7p/4P3/pp2Q3/8/1P4PP/2b4K[/fen]

Black to play

1...Qe3?? 2. Qh7# (!!!! 😳)
    He was probably focused on the fact that he had his own mate in one threat that would seemingly force white to trade queens. Normally if you have your own mate threat, you don't have to consider your opponents alternatives nearly as carefully.

I've got my own collection of piece "hangings" here on RHP. More often than not in a tight game if I hang a piece my opponent overlooks it a misses it. Sometimes I've gone to bed quite dejected having ruined an otherwise good game and woke up the next morning that my opponent has given me new life.

I makes no sense to make fun of Kramnik. There is a reason he's playing a big match and the rest of us are sitting around playing anonymously on RHP.
  9. Joined
    20 Apr '06
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 05:49
    terribly terribly shocked.i thought he was vexed after the machine equalised the position after his 1 pawn advantage.Perhaps too much pressure and people expected too much from him.
  10. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 06:05
    Originally posted by techsouth
    He was probably focused on the fact that he had his own mate in one threat that would seemingly force white to trade queens. Normally if you have your own mate threat, you don't have to consider your opponents alternatives nearly as carefully.
    This is only true if your move will keep the tempo. If Qe3 was a check forcing a response then Kramnik is fine. However it wasn't.
  11. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 10:39
    Originally posted by briancron
    My favorite is

Deep Fritz says to Kramnik, "Ouch! You have just walked into a forced mate, Queen to e3 leads to Queen to h7 and mate, much better is King to g8, Knight to g6, Bishop takes b2..."
  12. Joined
    19 Sep '06
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 11:06
    I prefer ChessMasters' blunder alert (I turn it on for my cousin).

"That move could cause some problems for you..."

Chessmaster has attitude built-in. Gotta love it.
  13. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 11:08
    Doesn't get the bull off the ice.
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 11:161 edit
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    My friend had a program that would mock and berate him. I think it was one of the Fritzes but I am not sure. It really used to get to him. He hated that program with a passion. It was really amusing to listen to him rave about the evil program, but of course he was addicted to it and loved it as much as he hated it.

Possibly it was Fritz 8 Chess Deluxe Edition?

"You can turn the voices on or off. I first played with the voice on, and was taunted so viciously (in attempts to rattle me), that I soon changed that setting for a more quiet experience. Fritz 8 Deluxe will insult you in a million ways for every thing you do - or don't do (fast enough). After trading Queens, it laughed at me and more or less taunted me to "bring it on." It can be very aggressive, and is not recommended for the easily offended! "

http://pc.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r25161.htm
  15. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 13:062 edits
    Originally posted by lausey
    i believe the algorithm goes something like this:

if i can win easily:
    if a suitable alternative move exists then: do not play the best move, state very loudly how the best move wins, and that i am not playing the best move,
    play a move which still leaves the enemy's position hopeless (when analysed at maximum ply) yet superficially showing hope (analysed at maximum ply -4),

continue the process grinding the opponent's ego into a pulp,

be seen to win many times in one game, as the opponent is given chances over and over yet continually loses ... LOSER!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree