1. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '06 20:11
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    WTF?!? You experted the World Champion to miss a mate in one!??
    This happened to me today. One person was talking about one thing to me while another was talking about something else, both thinking I was talking about the same thing. I just walked away, and let them discuss confusion.
  2. Garner, NC
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 00:01
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    This is only true if your move will keep the tempo. If Qe3 was a check forcing a response then Kramnik is fine. However it wasn't.
    Trust me, I fully understand why his mating threat was not sufficient. That is why I said "nearly as carefully" rather than "not at all".

But with a king on his first row behind his pawns, it is often possible to create powerful combinations that don't have to fully control the tempo. For example: white rooks on a1 & a2, white king on g1, white pawns on f2,g2, & h2, black rook on e8, black queen on a8. Black plays Qxa2 which does not result in check, but wins a rook that seemed protected at first glance. The threat of mate is so powerful that black does not have to fear the loss of its queen.

It is obvious the man made a mistake, I was just speculating what line of thinking may result in a little slackness in considering the counter-threats. I suggested that this powerful back-row threat may have made him less careful. I am not suggesting that it was good thinking (which it obviously wasn't).
  3. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    29 Nov '06 20:02
    Here is an interesting analysis from chessbase explaining what was possibly going through Kramnik's head at the time.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3512

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree