1. Joined
    21 Oct '15
    Moves
    10 Dec '17 18:19
    OK, so just wondering how to improve my games (mostly OTB). I went through the games where AlphaZero won, and it won on sacrificing pieces and getting positional advantages. Positions I wouldn't have looked at even being remotely possible.

So are there any books out there which would improve my positional games? I had a game where I thought I was 'winning', I calculated winning a pawn (which put my game at drawish position). But after analysis on the computer. It said another move to improve my position was better.

So I feel my positional analysis is rather weak. So any advice on improving this would be great.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Dec '17 19:54
    One suggestion:

https://www.amazon.com/Techniques-Positional-Play-Practical-Methods/dp/9056914340

"Techniques of Positional Play: 45 Practical Methods to Gain the Upper Hand in Chess" by Valeri Bronznik
  3. Joined
    21 Oct '15
    Moves
    10 Dec '17 21:26
    Thanks, I appreciate this, I'll give it a try.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Dec '17 19:362 edits
    Originally posted by @vandervelde
    One suggestion:

https://www.amazon.com/Techniques-Positional-Play-Practical-Methods/dp/9056914340

"Techniques of Positional Play: 45 Practical Methods to Gain the Upper Hand in Chess" by Valeri Bronznik
    When will the movie come out?πŸ™‚ Seriously, this person clocks in at 2265 Fide, and it says IM, and 51 years old so he has lost a number of games lately. Would he still be a good teacher?
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Dec '17 23:35
    Originally posted by @boardreader
    OK, so just wondering how to improve my games (mostly OTB). I went through the games where AlphaZero won, and it won on sacrificing pieces and getting positional advantages. Positions I wouldn't have looked at even being remotely possible.

So are there any books out there which would improve my positional games? I had a game where I thought I was 'w ...[text shortened]... So I feel my positional analysis is rather weak. So any advice on improving this would be great.
    You could save yourself a lot of money by studying these. Lot's of good info here.

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 14:03
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    When will the movie come out?πŸ™‚ Seriously, this person clocks in at 2265 Fide, and it says IM, and 51 years old so he has lost a number of games lately. Would he still be a good teacher?
    Yes, he would, I think. In practically everything, the best players rarely make the best coaches, and the best coaches were rarely the best players.

The ability to perform at the board on the clock is a particular skill set, and at best only tangently related to coaching.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 20:31
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chess-Strategy-Club-Players-Positional/dp/B00NYJDKYC/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1513283455&sr=1-4&keywords=chess+strategy+for+club+players
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Dec '17 22:41
    Originally posted by @paul-leggett
    Yes, he would, I think. In practically everything, the best players rarely make the best coaches, and the best coaches were rarely the best players.

The ability to perform at the board on the clock is a particular skill set, and at best only tangently related to coaching.
    The naturally gifted make the best players.

Those who had to struggle to get better and understand what it took to get better make the best coaches.

The naturally gifted usually can't understand how people can't understand something so simple for them.
  9. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 15:21
    Originally posted by @eladar
    The naturally gifted make the best players.

Those who had to struggle to get better and understand what it took to get better make the best coaches.

The naturally gifted usually can't understand how people can't understand something so simple for them.
    This is generally true, although I would suggest that the naturally gifted (who work hard at improving) make the best players.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 15:41
    Originally posted by @mchill
    This is generally true, although I would suggest that the naturally gifted (who work hard at improving) make the best players.
    Of course this is true.
  11. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    26 Dec '17 16:12
    Originally posted by @boardreader

So are there any books out there which would improve my positional games? I had a game where I thought I was 'w ...[text shortened]... So I feel my positional analysis is rather weak. So any advice on improving this would be great.
    You have to be very careful when sacrificing pieces for what you think is a positional advantage.There may be a move your opponent can make that you have missed which will spoil your analysis and leave you a piece down.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Dec '17 00:36
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Then there was Morphy and Capablanca......
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Dec '17 02:54
    Then there was Morphy and Capablanca......
    Do you not think Morphy studied his craft and planned his possibilities before he unleashed them?

Or do you think his genious was by the seat of his pants with no thought other than during his games?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Dec '17 11:58
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Do you not think Morphy studied his craft and planned his possibilities before he unleashed them?

Or do you think his genious was by the seat of his pants with no thought other than during his games?
    I think Morphy and Capa were intuitive players since they did not really have access to the best coaches and such, learning by the seat of their pants, no internet, no engines. I don't think they were Fischers, studying hour after hour, notating the best games and such. I think Morphy was a lawyer and would have had to put all his effort into getting his law degree at a time when Bobby was studying the hell out of his games and others to the exclusion of EVERYTHING else. There was ONY chess in Bobby's life, not so with Morphy.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Dec '17 19:13
    I think Morphy and Capa were intuitive players since they did not really have access to the best coaches and such, learning by the seat of their pants, no internet, no engines. I don't think they were Fischers, studying hour after hour, notating the best games and such. I think Morphy was a lawyer and would have had to put all his effort into getting his l ...[text shortened]... rs to the exclusion of EVERYTHING else. There was ONY chess in Bobby's life, not so with Morphy.
    Notice I did not claim they worked out puzzles and tactics based on compilations of other games. I said put in thought and likely created their own puzzles. They developed theories and put them into practice. They may have been inspired by other players.

In other words they created works of art, but how many artists create their best art without at least some revision and thought?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree