1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Dec '10 16:221 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I always play 1.e4 because it gives my King a flight square (e2) of a different colour.

1.d4 and the flight square (d2) is the same colour as e1.

That's how deep I look into my games. On move one I'm thinking of
    flight squares for my King. ๐Ÿ™‚
    Wondering, GP, in what situations you might first

develop a few pieces with an eye toward castling.
  2. Joined
    26 Jan '10
    Moves
    05 Dec '10 21:07
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    1.e4, because after 1. e4, you have the maximum number of second moves.
    This is why I dont play 1. e4.
  3. Joined
    03 Apr '09
    Moves
    05 Dec '10 21:14
    Least favorite: Probably a4 for white, or a5 for black.
    Most favorite: e4 for white, and nf6 for black
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Dec '10 22:322 edits
    Originally posted by Tiwaking
    the problem with 1.f4 is that there is no way to guarantee that you shall be able to get in e4 and have two adjacent pawns in the centre, black will easily get in ...d5 and ...c5
  5. Joined
    26 Jan '10
    Moves
    06 Dec '10 04:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    the problem with 1.f4 is that there is no way to guarantee that you shall be able to get in e4 and have two adjacent pawns in the centre, black will easily get in ...d5 and ...c5
    Black lives and plays by whites mistakes.

White can do the same, but has a little bit more time to spare.
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    06 Dec '10 05:09
    Please elaborate. Why would the most next move choices be undesirable?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Dec '10 09:27
    Black lives and plays by whites mistakes.

White can do the same, but has a little bit more time to spare.
    i see, how cunningly fox like in its strategy, black pushes too far and his dreams become china in his hand๐Ÿ™‚
  8. .
    Moves
    06 Dec '10 09:281 edit
    Originally posted by Ringwraith
    Most favorite: e4 for white, and nf6 for black
    Me too.

(except when I make stupid mistakes!)
  9. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    06 Dec '10 15:47
    I hate it when I open c4 and the opponent c5! The symmetrical is just impossible to get an advantage against!
  10. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    06 Dec '10 17:30
    Originally posted by Maxacre42
    I hate it when I open c4 and the opponent c5! The symmetrical is just impossible to get an advantage against!
    I'd say white immediately gets the advantage in tempo. But yeah I hate playing against the symmetrical too.

Most of the time I play 1.e4 because I like open games with a fight for the initiative, but I have been known to play c4 too. I first started playing d4 because I lasted longer against the comp with it, but I haven't played it in over a year.

Here is an English game of mine. I started out wanting to play the Karpov variation, but I had a lot of games going at the time and I literally forgot what opening I started out with.

I ended up throwing any positional considerations to the wind and saccing a knight for an attack.

11. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    06 Dec '10 17:58
    I play the Symmetrical opening 1.c4 c5 with the express goal of killing any enjoyment of the game for White so the English opening is retired to the dustbin of lame openings.
  12. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 02:24
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Please elaborate. Why would the most next move choices be undesirable?
    Offhand, I would say it is because it is too much to study. I'm not sure that's really true (many of those possibilities are inferior), but it's a plausible thought, I believe.

Of course, it begs the question a bit, since having the most move choices is neither positive or negative.

If you have only one move, but it is the best move, compared to having a large number of inferior moves from which to chose, I'd prefer to have the one move. The sheer quantity of moves has no intrinsic value in the absence of a way to evaluate them.

It is the quality of each move that matters, and we can only play one move at a time.
  13. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 02:38
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    Offhand, I would say it is because it is too much to study. I'm not sure that's really true (many of those possibilities are inferior), but it's a plausible thought, I believe.

Of course, it begs the question a bit, since having the most move choices is neither positive or negative.

If you have only one move, but it is the best move, compared to ...[text shortened]... em.

It is the quality of each move that matters, and we can only play one move at a time.
    Actually mobility IS an advantage in and of itself. If the opponents pieces become restricted then you will control the game.
  14. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 04:13
    mobility is an advantage, but with the clock ticking, too many similar choices can be a burden.

On a sidenote, we talk about the advantage of the first move, but most players I know do better with black than with white, suggesting that information and repertoire are more important than the first move at the sub master level.
  15. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    07 Dec '10 04:23
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett

If you have only one move, but it is the best move, compared to ...[text shortened]... em.

Thanks Paul

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree