Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 18 Aug '11 20:10
    Looking to have a go at the london system, anyone one got an idiots guide to how to play it and what are the main themes etc
  2. 18 Aug '11 20:45 / 1 edit
    I played all year as an experiment and in two congresses. I had some draws against some 2000/2100 players. However the problem is that although it is solid, avoids lots of sharp theory and can't be smashed - its a bit passive for me. It's quite a positional opening.

I looked at the Zuckertort which I quite like as I prefer attacking kingside. imho I think its better than the Colle and think 3.bf4 better than 2.bf4.

Anyway, i've since gone back to e4.
  3. 19 Aug '11 04:58
    Originally posted by plopzilla
    I played all year as an experiment and in two congresses. I had some draws against some 2000/2100 players. However the problem is that although it is solid, avoids lots of sharp theory and can't be smashed - its a bit passive for me. It's quite a positional opening.

I looked at the Zuckertort which I quite like as I prefer attacking kingside. imho I thi ...[text shortened]... ter than the Colle and think 3.bf4 better than 2.bf4.

Anyway, i've since gone back to e4.
    Of those systems, I like the Zuke better also. Though, personally I say away from all of them.
  4. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    19 Aug '11 08:47
    Originally posted by rob39
    Looking to have a go at the london system, anyone one got an idiots guide to how to play it and what are the main themes etc
    Hi Rob - with your profile you should be playing the Italian Game!!

However - I feel that I am at a low enough level to advise you.

Whenever I play against the London System I hate it. Its usually lower ranked players and I get the impression that their aim is not to lose early. OK you get a solid position and your pieces of the back rank but its boring and nothing seems to happen.

GP will advocate tou play Spanish or Italian but if you want to get into middle game safely with some tactical chances I recommend the first 12 moves of the Reti System.

take a look here
    http://www.ericschiller.com/pdf/HypermodernChessOpeningStrategy.pdf
  5. Subscriber Ragwort
    Ex Duris Gloria
    19 Aug '11 15:01
    Sorry, an error occurred. Please report this problem.