Look Son, There are Tactics!

Look Son, There are Tactics!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

g

Moves
11 Jun 08

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
It should be interesting to hear what gay chess player dude has got to say, uscf 2000+ with minimal tactics...
Not only did I make it to 2000 with virtually no tactical training, but I didn't even know the the Lucena or Philidor endgame positions until years later. Almost no endgame or tactical training, yet I somehow made it to 2022. The moral: Don't make gross errors, and the (chess) world will be your oyster and you will be its pearl!

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Jun 08

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
Not only did I make it to 2000 with virtually no tactical training, but I didn't even know the the Lucena or Philidor endgame positions until years later. Almost no endgame or tactical training, yet I somehow made it to 2022. The moral: Don't make gross errors, and the (chess) world will be your oyster and you will be its pearl!
That's not nearly as easy as it sounds. Avoiding "gross errors" means having enough tactical and positional awareness to know what an error is, and what is not.

rc

Moves
11 Jun 08

man where is wormwood and mad rook when you need them, wormwoods probably doing tactical exercises and mad rook is still sulking because i refuse to worship at the shrine of Mr. Heisman's school of tactics for chess noobs, lol, oh well life goes on!

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
11 Jun 08
1 edit

how much means 'virtually', how long had you been playing by then, and how much did you play blitz?

rc

Moves
11 Jun 08

Originally posted by wormwood
how much means 'virtually', how long had you been playing by then, and how much did you play blitz?
a wise man once said, 'Prophylactic moves are another new thing, which I almost never thought of in slow games before. Take a certain square away, and you sweep off a whole bunch of nasty problems which could or could not work for you. Very handy in blitz.', a lot of wisdom in those words is there not?

MR

Moves
11 Jun 08

man where is wormwood and mad rook when you need them, wormwoods probably doing tactical exercises and mad rook is still sulking because i refuse to worship at the shrine of Mr. Heisman's school of tactics for chess noobs, lol, oh well life goes on!
Yeah, well, maybe I WAS taking this stuff a little too seriously for a while, but I'm feeling MUCH better now. 😉

I now see the error of my ways. What a fool I've been! I just hope that everyone has it in their hearts to forgive me. I've thrown out all of my tactics books and removed my Chess Tactics Server bookmark. Yeah, tossing all those tactics books was really painful, but at least I have more room on my bookshelf now. I'm also currently working on a system to combine the Bangiev Squares Strategy with the Point Count Chess System. I've also ordered every positional and strategy chess book that's ever been written. (There goes my bookshelf filling up again, sigh.)

Also, I've just ordered a new crystal ball and Ouija board, and I've scheduled some seances and channeling lessons in an attempt to get more tips from Petrosian, Pachman, and Nimzovich. I'm also trying to get Karpov's e-mail address or phone number, but no luck so far. I won't bother trying to contact Tal - He didn't understand strategy at all.

Well, I think I'm set. Everyone wish me good luck!

rc

Moves
11 Jun 08

Originally posted by Mad Rook
Yeah, well, maybe I WAS taking this stuff a little too seriously for a while, but I'm feeling MUCH better now. 😉

I now see the error of my ways. What a fool I've been! I just hope that everyone has it in their hearts to forgive me. I've thrown out all of my tactics books and removed my Chess Tactics Server bookmark. Yeah, tossing all those tactics books ...[text shortened]... t understand strategy at all.

Well, I think I'm set. Everyone wish me good luck!
lol, sooo funny, do you think you could find it in your heart to contact Fischer for me, one or two things i need him to confirm/deny etc. although i am sure he would advocate thinking for ourselves anyhow , 😀

MR

Moves
11 Jun 08

lol, sooo funny, do you think you could find it in your heart to contact Fischer for me, one or two things i need him to confirm/deny etc. although i am sure he would advocate thinking for ourselves anyhow , 😀
I could try, but I'm afraid all I might get is a bunch of cussing and incoherent rambling...

rc

Moves
11 Jun 08

Originally posted by Mad Rook
I could try, but I'm afraid all I might get is a bunch of cussing and incoherent rambling...
oh my goodness, this is going to far, Bobby if you are up there, in fact i know you are, please forgive him, he is harbouring some serious delusions with regard to the validity of your words, like them pesky Russians he is attacking your character, he knows not what he is saying.

Fisher was bitter, why was he bitter, because he went from a hero to a zero, betrayed by a populace and a government too ill willed to understand why he became what he did, he was ill, without the shadow of a doubt, classic symptoms of paranoia bordering on schizophrenia, thus his violent outbursts and suspicion of close friends, we must detach the symptoms from the man and view him in this context or are we to condemn him for something that was out with his control.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
11 Jun 08

a wise man once said, 'Prophylactic moves are another new thing, which I almost never thought of in slow games before. Take a certain square away, and you sweep off a whole bunch of nasty problems which could or could not work for you. Very handy in blitz.', a lot of wisdom in those words is there not?
and those words came from a guy whose training has been 95% tactics.

rc

Moves
12 Jun 08
1 edit

Originally posted by wormwood
and those words came from a guy whose training has been 95% tactics.
wormwood i am being serious now, please can you explain this for me, i was reading another post, just googled bangievs square strategy and there was already a post about it, the original poster stated this, and i quote,

'If they have only one weakness dont attack it, ie if a piece is undefended DONT attack it leave it undefended because the only way tactics or combinations happen is the rule of two weaknesses. You need to hit two weaknesses at once for a tactic to work, so dont help the other player and pointless attack things forcing them to strengthen their position.

if you can find the time to illustrate or explain this maybe with a little diagram, or simply words, it would really help, i think it means like forks and maybe revealed attacks etc, although i am unsure - kind regards Robbie.

MR

Moves
12 Jun 08

wormwood i am being serious now, please can you explain this for me, i was reading another post, just googled bangievs square strategy and there was already a post about it, the original poster stated this, and i quote,

'If they have only one weakness dont attack it, ie if a piece is undefended DONT attack it leave it undefended because the only ...[text shortened]... it means like forks and maybe revealed attacks etc, although i am unsure - kind regards Robbie.
It sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't quite remember. I had shock therapy earlier today to wipe out all that tactical knowledge that was just cluttering up my mind.

I think it might be some kind of tactical principle, but I'm sure it's not important. Just forget about it like I did. 😵

RS

Under ur ChessBoard!

Moves
12 Jun 08

Nigel Short summed it up best when he said:
"Modern chess is too much concerned with things like pawn structures. Forget it -- checkmate ends the game."

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
12 Jun 08
1 edit

'If they have only one weakness dont attack it, ie if a piece is undefended DONT attack it leave it undefended because the only way tactics or combinations happen is the rule of two weaknesses.
He forgot about trapping pieces. That doesn't require two weaknesses.

Edit: And what about a weakened square around the enemy King? One weakness can equal checkmate. This guy clearly didn't put much thought into this at all.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
12 Jun 08
1 edit

'If they have only one weakness dont attack it, ie if a piece is undefended DONT attack it leave it undefended because the only ...[text shortened]... it means like forks and maybe revealed attacks etc, although i am unsure - kind regards Robbie.
it means any kind of double (or multiple) threat. it doesn't have to even win material, just something you want and your opponent doesn't want to happen. and as you have only one move per turn, so generally speaking you can only deal with one of the threats at a time, and take the other punch in the chin.

if you're lucky, you might have a multipurpose move available which can deal with both threats on a single move. but usually you don't.