1. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 04:53
    Hi. I'm looking for a strong player who would like to form a training program with me. We would play games on the webserver and do serious anaylsis over GM games. We would help each other improve. Stuff like that.

My goal is to attain the GM title. I'm very serious about my work and invest a lot of time in chess. I'm looking for somebody with the same ambition and talent.

I'm a college student and live in the midwest. Serious tournaments are few and far between. I feel stranded. Finding this site gives me opportunity to play against stronger people every day. I play in USCF events and my rating is approx. 1900. I feel I'm underated and play at an "expert" lvl. So I'm looking for someone at that range. I don't know how that corresponds to the ratings here but you get the idea. The stronger the better.

Sorry if I sound too serious and all. Hey, I'm a fun guy! Anyways, post here or message me if interested. Thanks and hoping there are others like me out there.
  2. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 05:021 edit
    Originally posted by Zander 88
    Hi. I'm looking for a strong player who would like to form a training program with me. We would play games on the webserver and do serious anaylsis over GM games. We would help each other improve. Stuff like that.

My goal is to attain the GM title. I'm very serious about my work and invest a lot of time in chess. I'm looking for somebody with the same a ere or message me if interested. Thanks and hoping there are others like me out there.
    Welcome to the site. Training partners are great and I hear they help a lot to improve also.

I wish I had more time, I also take my chess very seriously. Just Graduated and job hunting so very little time.

I just got some advice for you though since you sound like an OTB player and on here to improve.

Don't get to comfortable with the analysis board, time control and dbs.
    It's hard to switch from OTB to Rhp and back to OTB.

You might also want to write which kinds of openings you play. That might help you find the right partner.

Good Luck

RK
  3. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 05:27
    Hey, thanks for the response. This is my first time at correspondence chess and you bring good points.

First, I tackle a web game like I would OTB. I don't move the pieces or consult a database. I try to understand the position as best as I can. I reach the limits of what I can visualize in my head.

When I feel I did my best, I work out the positions physically. I haven't had an opportunity to check out the databases yet.

Regarding the opening phase, I'm trying to learn them all. Ivanchuk is my favorite player and he doesn't really stick to one opening. He is unpredictable and a creative player. I like Kramnik's ultra-solid positional play too. I try to have a universal style, so I practice all the openings.
  4. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 06:081 edit

My goal is to attain the GM title. I'm very serious about my work and invest a lot of time in chess. I'm looking for somebody with the same a ere or message me if interested. Thanks and hoping there are others like me out there.
    RahimK is pretty good, he charges 12 dollars per hour. (not sure Canadian or American dollars)

Try it out.

[edit] Good deal.
  5. back in business
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 07:50
    12$? what the...

you are kidding right?
  6. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 07:54
    Originally posted by GinoJ
    RahimK is pretty good, he charges 12 dollars per hour. (not sure Canadian or American dollars)

Try it out.

[edit] Good deal.
    O, NO again the rahim stuff 🙄 Stop it right now,I remember what happended last time 😛
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 19:39
    Originally posted by GinoJ

Try it out.

[edit] Good deal.
    Haha, This person and me are approximately the same rating.

1900 USCF and 1889 CFC.

And my add clearly says people below 1600 CFC(OTB).

Gino: It's Canadian by the way. Insurance and gas prices went up so I have to cover that cost plus my rating went up also. Still cheapest in the city. Closest one to me is $20 and he's 2000.
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 19:43
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    12$? what the...

you are kidding right?
    I won't even get started...I remember what happened last time too.
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 19:49
    Hey, thanks for the response. This is my first time at correspondence chess and you bring good points.

First, I tackle a web game like I would OTB. I don't move the pieces or consult a database. I try to understand the position as best as I can. I reach the limits of what I can visualize in my head.

When I feel I did my best, I work out the positions ...[text shortened]... solid positional play too. I try to have a universal style, so I practice all the openings.
    Ivanchuk is fun to watch, same with Shirov. I saw them at the Canadain Open 2005 along with some other GM's from around the world. 250 players showed up.

I had the demo board for the top 3 boards, and he was right there playing shirov.

Both of them would stare at the ceiling a lot and thinking away instead of looking at the board. Shirov kept pacing up and down the rows after each move, funny guy.

I think db's are good to learn your openings better but you have to use them properly. I pick my move and then check the db and then figure out why I was wrong and then play the db move. Eventually it will stick and otb you will remember the right move.

With openings, as white do you play 1.e4 or 1.d4, 1.c4

Black Sicilian, Ruy lopez etc...?

Probably better to find someone who plays similar openings. Learn more that way.
  10. back in business
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 19:51
    hmm. maybe I should offer costly chess lessons too.

because my otb rating is about 100 points higher than Rahim's, my charge will be 15$/h. so who wants some quality instruction? Rahim? Cmsmaster?
  11. London
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 20:32

because my otb rating is about 100 points higher than Rahim's, my charge will be 15$/h. so who wants some quality instruction? Rahim? Cmsmaster?
    If my washing machine breaks down I have to pay $80 - $100 to call out a technician to look at it. After the first hour they charge around $40 - $60 per hour to work on it...plus the cost of the parts. A guitar teacher for my son is $30 per hour. What is so wrong with $10, $15 or $20 an hour for some chess coaching? So Rahims not a GM. Fine. Doesn't mean his coaching isn't good. And anyway a GM would expect the same sort of fees as the guy who comes to repair my washing machine.
  12. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 21:30
    Originally posted by Mahout
    If my washing machine breaks down I have to pay $80 - $100 to call out a technician to look at it. After the first hour they charge around $40 - $60 per hour to work on it...plus the cost of the parts. A guitar teacher for my son is $30 per hour. What is so wrong with $10, $15 or $20 an hour for some chess coaching? So Rahims not a GM. Fine. Doesn't mean ...[text shortened]... ay a GM would expect the same sort of fees as the guy who comes to repair my washing machine.
    most GMs get more than that. $115-$185 is one figure that I've seen
  13. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 21:51

No offense Jusuh, but we both live in very different countrys.

Relative to chess, when you say Canada do you picture GMs? Haha, no!

Russia = Gms.

Now try it with Finland= Europe= Gms.

In Canada we don't have very strong players compared to other country's thus 1800+ can teach chess and charge money.

There are players below me who teach chess and charge more money then me. I tried getting in on that with them, Junior chess, didn't work out and it's another story. Argg, I still hate him for that.

Anywho, would a 1800-1900 player be teaching chess in Russia and charging? I hope not 🙂

Relative to my city, I am top 15.

In a Finland city, I bet a 1900 player wouldn't be top 15 right? It's all relative.

No offense like I said before.
  14. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 21:52
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    most GMs get more than that. $115-$185 is one figure that I've seen
    This is what I've heard about.

Me around $10-12

Junior coach around 1600, below me $15

2000 player $20

2400 player in Sasketchewan, $50! a hour!
  15. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Feb '07 22:09
    Oh wow you got to see Ivanchuk play? That's awesome. I think the strongest player I got to see was Loek Van Wely. Speaking of this, my greatest tournament memory was playing GM Aleks Wojtkiewicz in a couple of blitz games. Ouch...

In regard to opening theory, I don't like to study it much. I feel I get more improvement studying the middlegame and endgame. But like I said before, I like to study every opening I get a chance to play. So I usually rotate between them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree