1. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 00:30
    Originally posted by Zander 88
    Oh wow you got to see Ivanchuk play? That's awesome. I think the strongest player I got to see was Loek Van Wely. Speaking of this, my greatest tournament memory was playing GM Aleks Wojtkiewicz in a couple of blitz games. Ouch...

In regard to opening theory, I don't like to study it much. I feel I get more improvement studying the middlegame and endgam ...[text shortened]... efore, I like to study every opening I get a chance to play. So I usually rotate between them.
    It was fun watching them. We had a 5 way tie for first involving him and they split the $8000 prize for first.

I don't like studying openings either. Just starting to study them now because I think you have to at this point. A master told me he rose 200 points from studying one opening he played in detail. He must have been around 1700-2000 then.

Well good luck finding someone.
  2. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 00:53
    Thanks RahimK. I really appreciate the helpful advice. I found some players. Now I'm going to try really hard to create a successful study group between us.
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 04:46
    How about this guy. Looks like he's looking for a new opening, and pretty solid player.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=63409&page=1

Nice to hear you found a training partner.
  4. back in business
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 07:161 edit
    Originally posted by RahimK

Relative to my city, I am top 15.

In a Finland city, I bet a 1900 player wouldn't be top 15 right? It's all relative.

No offense like I said before.
    yeah. in my city i am #6 ranked, but in Helsinki I would not be anywhere near to top 100. but I fail to see why this could be a problem. I don't think our rating system is inflated compared to yours, and in fact we have about the same number of GMs and IMs
  5. Joined
    11 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 09:05
    my rating is a bit lower than yours (1700-1800 OTB), but i'd like to improve can i join your group?
  6. back in business
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 09:06
    for 15$/h, sure.
  7. Joined
    11 Jun '06
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 09:11
    yeah that joke is getting kinda old
  8. back in business
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 09:13
    joke? old?
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    21 Feb '07 23:57
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    yeah. in my city i am #6 ranked, but in Helsinki I would not be anywhere near to top 100. but I fail to see why this could be a problem. I don't think our rating system is inflated compared to yours, and in fact we have about the same number of GMs and IMs
    Hm... I though I read Wormwoods post about Finland having more Gm's then Canada? Maybe I'm mistaken. We were talking about that.

Anywho, I just figured Finland people, European generalizing players are stronger then Canadian ones thus you need a higher rating to teach and be taken seriously.

That's what I thought. Hey if you wanna charge $15 a hour and if you got customers great.

That's what it's all about. Finding the customers. Junior Chess teaching is good but you gotta put up with the kids 🙁
  10. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    22 Feb '07 05:21
    Hi aginis. Your welcome to come and study with us. I'll send you a pm, we're trying to figure everything out.
  11. back in business
    Moves
    22 Feb '07 07:05
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Hm... I though I read Wormwoods post about Finland having more Gm's then Canada? Maybe I'm mistaken. We were talking about that.

Anywho, I just figured Finland people, European generalizing players are stronger then Canadian ones thus you need a higher rating to teach and be taken seriously.

That's what I thought. Hey if you wanna charge $15 a hour and ...[text shortened]... Finding the customers. Junior Chess teaching is good but you gotta put up with the kids 🙁
    nope. Both Canada and Finland have 5 GMs according the Fide rating list.
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    22 Feb '07 07:44
    Hi, I also want to join the group. My rating is about 1950 (Belgian elo), on rhp it only 1600. The reason is that I only play at work for fun and without thinking. I'm going to stop playing cc chess and put more work in studying OTB. I use this forum for the helpfull tips and finally want to go to a rating over 2000. And then over 2100 and so on..

regards
  13. back in business
    Moves
    22 Feb '07 08:42
    Originally posted by timpe
    Hi, I also want to join the group. My rating is about 1950 (Belgian elo), on rhp it only 1600. The reason is that I only play at work for fun and without thinking. I'm going to stop playing cc chess and put more work in studying OTB. I use this forum for the helpfull tips and finally want to go to a rating over 2000. And then over 2100 and so on..

regards
    lets play a game.
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    22 Feb '07 12:41
    nope. Both Canada and Finland have 5 GMs according the Fide rating list.
    btw, when I look at the finnish rating list, there's quite a lot of foreign names. like normunds miezis playing for club aatos, and jaan ehlvest for ks-58. do you know what's that all about.

in fact, in top 40 there's only 2 finnish names, nybäck and mika karttunen. and although some of those others might be finnish with russian names, most of them probably not. (maybe this is also why amateur level seems to be higher than in canada, the reason being tougher competition?)
  15. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    22 Feb '07 12:551 edit
    yeah. in my city i am #6 ranked, but in Helsinki I would not be anywhere near to top 100.
    you'd probably be around the 100th, because you're just outside 500th on the national ranking list (foreign players excluded), and about 20% of finnish registered players live here in helsinki... rahim would take the 1000th place on our national list, so that would make him about the 200th best player in helsinki with similar approximation.

quite a big difference in rankings btw, with just 120 pts of rating difference between you guys. the 1900-2000 range seems to be quite densely populated...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree