Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 01 Nov '08 20:29
    I'm looking for someone to play a couple games with me (unrated preferrably) so we can afterwards go through and analyze and tell me my mistakes. If anyone would like to help out this patzer please let me know. Thanks.
  2. Standard member ivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    01 Nov '08 20:54
    Originally posted by amolv06
    I'm looking for someone to play a couple games with me (unrated preferrably) so we can afterwards go through and analyze and tell me my mistakes. If anyone would like to help out this patzer please let me know. Thanks.
    You are within 8 % of strongest players on this site. You could be mentor to someone too
  3. 01 Nov '08 22:20
    Heh, I never thought about it that way. I suppose I could. That said I don't consider myself knowledgable enough about the game to really mentor someone. I'm sure there are some 1400-1500 rated players who are -- in fact, I'm sure some of them know the game well enough to teach me. My style is probably a bit unorthodox. I often choose to attack and neglect my King's safety. I play certain openings a lot which work for me, but I don't fully understand why. For instance, as black I often play c5 followed by d6. It works, but I have no idea why. Why would I choose to lock in my black bishop?! I often finachetto soon after, but not always. I'm rambling.

    My point is I don't think I know enough to mentor anyone. But I would appreciate all the help I could get.
  4. 01 Nov '08 23:41
    Originally posted by amolv06
    I'm looking for someone to play a couple games with me (unrated preferrably) so we can afterwards go through and analyze and tell me my mistakes. If anyone would like to help out this patzer please let me know. Thanks.
    I'll be happy to mentor and evaluate you.

    You suck.

    Happy?
  5. 01 Nov '08 23:59
    Based on your rating you should not give advice to anyone who is within 150 to 200 pts of you. You probably have a very slight difference in playing level. It is easier to evaluate someones games who is not in your rating category than if they are not. and why the negativy sam? I think the majority of people on rhp are tired of the immaturity that people portray over the forums.
  6. 02 Nov '08 00:02
    I thought it was funny.
  7. 02 Nov '08 00:50
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I thought it was funny.
    Yeah some people are just too serious.
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    02 Nov '08 01:08
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I thought it was funny.
    As did I.

    There should be a section in the forum rules imploring people not to rip other posts until you're SURE they're not joking.
  9. 02 Nov '08 01:25
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    I'll be happy to mentor and evaluate you.

    You suck.

    Happy?
    hahaha... saw the initial post with no replys yet and then thought it would only be a matter of time before someone posted something like this.

    On a serious note, amolv06 just be wary of who you take advice from, high rating doesn't mean everything. Very few players are qualified to give proper analysis on games. IMO, if you are serious, seek the help of a titled teaching professional (yes this may cost money). After working with a pro, you will slowly know how to analyze your games and ones of others ON YOUR OWN, which is when you will benefit the most.

    Getting free analysis from someone that is only slightly better than you may do more harm than good.
  10. 02 Nov '08 03:25
    I would disagree about that. I have taught 3 people two online and another in person. Wittowonka is one of the people I taught and he raised from 1300 to the high 1800's in a year and alex33 went from 950 to 1600 in about a year and a half. Just because somoene is a titled master doesn't mean that they are a good teacher.
  11. 02 Nov '08 04:38
    Originally posted by kmac27
    I would disagree about that. I have taught 3 people two online and another in person. Wittowonka is one of the people I taught and he raised from 1300 to the high 1800's in a year and alex33 went from 950 to 1600 in about a year and a half. Just because somoene is a titled master doesn't mean that they are a good teacher.
    ... then surely you must have been offended by what I said!

    But I'll say it again. If possible, get advice from a titled TEACHING professional (notice the word teaching). i.e. those who have "been there" and also concentrate on instruction.

    I've taught my fair share of people too with success similar to yours, but if I had to offer them advice again, I would tell them to ignore me and see a pro. The difference is night and day.
  12. 02 Nov '08 04:57
    I am not offended. I feel I 'm a great teacher. I'm actually heading in a career towards it. It is easy to help give people tips to help them get better because you have been there and done that!! Can you tell me that you haven't played a 1500 or 1600 player and could see thier mistakes from a mile away? and know how to capitalize on it?
  13. 02 Nov '08 06:21
    Originally posted by kmac27
    I am not offended. I feel I 'm a great teacher. I'm actually heading in a career towards it. It is easy to help give people tips to help them get better because you have been there and done that!! Can you tell me that you haven't played a 1500 or 1600 player and could see thier mistakes from a mile away? and know how to capitalize on it?
    It's not so hard to train someone to be 1800. Just give them a steady tactical regimen.


    I think his point is that a professional teacher is the better choice. Would you reccomend yourself over, say, Jeremy Silman?

    Besides that, the upgrade is only an upgrade in mistakes.... Instead of making 1300 mistakes they are now making 1800-1900 mistakes. That's all well and good if they only want to be 1800-1900 but it could prove a huge block if they want to ascend past that level. Often an inexperience teacher is not careful in what they say and will impart a nugget of knowledge in the wrong way. In other words, they may have just as much knowledge to share as the experienced teacher but they are not equipped to share it in the best manner possible.
  14. 02 Nov '08 06:31
    Another difference between someone rated a couple hundred points above you and a professional teacher is $40 an hour. Everyone can't afford that.
  15. 02 Nov '08 06:32
    I am actually proud that I made 2000+ without ever having a teacher. I have only read books and played.