Macpos positional sacrifice games, please help.

Macpos positional sacrifice games, please help.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M

Moves
12 Oct 09
11 edits

Ok maybe we can start with the second one:

So here is the situation. the guy just pushed b7-b5

the problem that forced me to consider sacrifice was that I would have wasted time coming back with my queen.

So I decided to take, which brings us to the following position (nevermind which knight takes first:

my ideas were:
- don't waste time going back.
- he will get a somewhat messy position after that (especially as he has to play Ra4 right now, to defend his rook), with many possibilities of pins for instance.
-, the messy pieces will also be perfect target for my two pawns. So my two pawns will soon probably be strong and easy to push as they will threaten his pieces...
- it will take him a lot of time to castle, especially after Bf4 and threats from my Knight

- finally as a consequence of pushing my pawns, I will activate my A rook quickly. and the other one is not too far

What do you think of this?

to give you an idea, after a few moves :

12. ... Ra8a4 13. Qc4c2 (is a somewhat slow tempo, but my pawns are coming, so I keep the initative) Qd8b6 14. b3 Ra4g4 (actually 14. ... Rb4 might have been slightly better). 15. a4

we were in the following position:

See the possible pins, the strong pawns, his King still in the center, my rooks almost working, an interesting knight, especially after Bf4; but my black bishop can also go in very interesting other places. all this only for 1point.
isn't the situation good for me here?(actually I don't know, but was really interested in the position...)
But soon thereafter I collapsed... but that was for other reasons 🙂

rc

Moves
12 Oct 09

Originally posted by Macpo
Ok maybe we can start with the second one:

So here is the situation. the guy just pushed b7-b5

[fen]r1bqkb1r/5ppp/p3pn2/1pn5/2QN4/2N3P1/PP2PPBP/R1B2RK1[/fen]

the problem that forced me to consider sacrifice was that I would have wasted time coming back with my queen.

So I decided to take, which brings us to the following position (nevermind whic ...[text shortened]... ted in the position...)
But soon thereafter I collapsed... but that was for other reasons 🙂
its a great deal, brilliant, if you have time and an inclination, will you do another one?

M

Moves
12 Oct 09

sure! I can do them one by one, every couple of days let's say (that's a great exercise for me!) but I also expect critiques 😀

rc

Moves
12 Oct 09

sure! I can do them one by one, every couple of days let's say (that's a great exercise for me!) but I also expect critiques 😀
ummm, ok, but for me, its enough to try to guess them, but there are many excellent guys here who can better advise you.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
12 Oct 09

ok thanks! (though it's not so complicated; but unfortunately, some people keep repeating "only tactics until you're grandmaster" which is completely stupid...)

one question before I make things look better: do you know how to get fens from rhp (cause writing them is somewhat boring...)
Yes, but it's kind of a pain. What I need to do is make a thread and enter in [ gid ]######[ /gid ] (the game number goes inside of course, and remove the spaces).

Then enter that thread, click the link you just made, and there will be an option on the right to Get PGN.

C

Moves
12 Oct 09
1 edit

No offense intended to Macpos or Robbie Carrobie but the use of the term "positional sacrifice" to describe the one or two positions I have seen would be considered abusive. Look at Petrosian's games for a real "positional sacrifice".

NMD

Moves
12 Oct 09

I recall back in the olden days when i first saw a sicilian with an exchange sac on c3 I thought to myself ...hmm this sure is a mystery isnt 5 a larger number than 3?

Nowadays I have an exchange sac fetish and the only way you could prevent rook takes knight on c3 or rook takes knight on f6 would be to buy me a soup and sandwich.

I just think well this leads to structural damage so therefore its wonderful.

M

Moves
12 Oct 09

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Yes, but it's kind of a pain. What I need to do is make a thread and enter in [ gid ]######[ /gid ] (the game number goes inside of course, and remove the spaces).

Then enter that thread, click the link you just made, and there will be an option on the right to Get PGN.
actually I was looking for Fens, not pgns. for pgns, you can go in "game history" when you look at a game; and there is an "get the pgn" option there...

to CCnoob: and why isnt this positional, since I precisely get positional compensation for material?

C

Moves
12 Oct 09

....to CCnoob: and why isnt this positional, since I precisely get positional compensation for material?
Tell me what characterised Petrosian's sac's? Describe one or two of his positions in detail. Your sac relied on your opponent not putting up a strong defence.

M

Moves
12 Oct 09

I agree, the 1st one was a pretty bad one. What about the second one?

rc

Moves
13 Oct 09

Originally posted by CCNoob
Tell me what characterised Petrosian's sac's? Describe one or two of his positions in detail. Your sac relied on your opponent not putting up a strong defence.
so whats the problem, Fisher himself stated that one must take chances, if we were never to play a speculative move then we would be as the silicon beast, uncreative, but we are not, we are human and we think in human terms, and that means taking chances and being creative! Let Pertosian worry about his own sacs, we want to discuss Macpos.

C

Moves
13 Oct 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
so whats the problem, Fisher himself stated that one must take chances, if we were never to play a speculative move then we would be as the silicon beast, uncreative, but we are not, we are human and we think in human terms, and that means taking chances and being creative! Let Pertosian worry about his own sacs, we want to discuss Macpos.
You are talking crap robbie carrobie, I actually tried to help you when I replied to your post but I'll leave you to wallow in your own ignorance. Try and read up on positional sacs because you ave no clue what they are.

rc

Moves
13 Oct 09
4 edits

You are talking crap robbie carrobie, I actually tried to help you when I replied to your post but I'll leave you to wallow in your own ignorance. Try and read up on positional sacs because you ave no clue what they are.
spare me, if you would like to comment on any of Macpos games then be my guest, otherwise, ill leave you and Petrosian to make out, kissy kissy, 😉 As for positional sacrifices, i think that even you in your brilliance will agree that it must be something given up which confers a positional advantage after the sacrifice is accepted. You as yet have provided nothing in the way of any comment other than to state that they do not fall under the category of positional sacrifices, when asked why not, you have nothing, centre of a doughnut, therefore if you wish to argue over semantics, i suggest the debating forum, otherwise post something with content rather than a big fat zero! and you shall hence forth refer to me as Mr. Robbie Carrobie, if you dont mind.

C

Moves
13 Oct 09

You have a long way to go Mr Robbie Carrobie. When you commence your journey against OTB players you will offer speculative sacs and they will take the sacs and turn the game around. Seeing you are around the 1500 mark you have some way to go before you can take stock of the things being talked about.

rc

Moves
13 Oct 09
1 edit

You have a long way to go Mr Robbie Carrobie. When you commence your journey against OTB players you will offer speculative sacs and they will take the sacs and turn the game around. Seeing you are around the 1500 mark you have some way to go before you can take stock of the things being talked about.
nope, my rating is 1612, please if you are gonna slight me, be accurate, and if you like i shall post some 'speculative sacs, made by Gms, which won them the game, speculative queen sacs if you like, therefore irrespective of my rating, it does not take a great stretch of the imagination to tell when someone is talking nonsense, but i really got better things to do, than rap with you seeing you are intent on telling me how ignorant i am, therefore as i stated before, if you have anything other to offer than telling me how ignorant i am, then please post that, so that we too may revel in the radiance of your light 😉, that is of course if we are not blinded by its brilliance.

just to demonstrate your obvious lack of experience in this subtle art, the speculative sacrifice, i provide this game for your enlightenment, i hope you enjoy it, taken from the book Rampant chess,

J.Aagaard - E.Ubilava
Spanish team championship 2007

yes CCNoobster, your eyes may expand as large as a dinner plate, your adrenalin may rush, you may even walk with the Gods, but untill that time, you must learn, that there exists, such a thing, as a speculative sacrifice, of which, this, is as fine an example as i can show.