1. e4
    Moves
    06 Nov '10 19:24
    Carlsen is very young, missing this WC doesn't mean he will never win it.
    Maybe he thinks he will lose and not make it to the WC and he wants more time?
  2. timed out again
    Moves
    06 Nov '10 19:341 edit
    Originally posted by jonrothwell
    I can understand Carlsen's reason's for not competing, but he is clearly the best player in the world right now. He would have a great chance of winning this cycle and becoming World Champion. By not competing he risks the chance of never becoming WC.

This in turn risks the chance of being ass whiped by Korchnoi, for taking his mantle of being the best player never to win the WC!

I Think VK would kick MC's ass!
    Carlsen "clearly the best player in the world"? If you look at the "best players" in the world, they didn't achieve that status by politicking. They did so by beating the best in the candidate matches and in the world championship. The man who beat the man, who beat the man, is the man.

Otherwise Carlsen wants a champion like Rustam Kasimdzhanov or Ruslan Ponomariov.
  3. Joined
    23 Jan '10
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 14:28
    Originally posted by enrico20
    Carlsen "clearly the best player in the world"? If you look at the "best players" in the world, they didn't achieve that status by politicking. They did so by beating the best in the candidate matches and in the world championship. The man who beat the man, who beat the man, is the man.

Otherwise Carlsen wants a champion like Rustam Kasimdzhanov or Ruslan Ponomariov.
    Agreed.

FIDE is notorious for changing rules left, right and centre, but at the end of the day, is it not madness to give up a chance to hold the ultimate crown?

MC may have to wait a long time to play under conditions that suit his perceived notion of a suitable candidates structure etc.

He has already shown he can beat the best, and play and win in all kinds of tournaments under many different structures, time limits and so on. This is very disappointing to hear.

Chess fans have lost their chance to see the 'up and comer' for whom great things are predicted. The WC will only suffer as a result. A bit like watching grand slams without Nadal and/or Federer in the draw.
  4. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 17:50

Actually, politicking seems to go hand in hand with every world champion save Euwe, Tal and Anand. The history of ducking rivals, demanding conditions etc. has been hand in hand with being world champion.
  5. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    09 Nov '10 13:14

Eh? Carlsen is the world number one, the second highest rated player in history and seems to win nearly every tournament he enters. Of course he is the best player in the world right now.

Although the 'best players' won games man after man, as you say, many of them also 'politicked' so to speak. Kasparov, Karpov, Fischer were all renowned for it. Botvinnik to I'd imagine.

I agree however that the system Magnus is proposing would just be a lottery.
  6. Joined
    17 Dec '04
    Moves
    09 Nov '10 15:45
    I have always liked the traditional idea of having the world champion until someone worthy challenges the next year. After that, it's done until the next year! It's tradition, well at least it was tradition. It was perfect before, why change it?!
  7. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '10 16:14
    Originally posted by hahahaaaa
    I have always liked the traditional idea of having the world champion until someone worthy challenges the next year. After that, it's done until the next year! It's tradition, well at least it was tradition. It was perfect before, why change it?!
    it is not next year...it is after 3 years...
    or current cycle has 5 years...
  8. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '10 16:17
    It was even funnier if the WCh would get also the right of a rematch 🙂

anyway it is funny, as it has 5 years:

"After careful consideration I’ve reached the conclusion that the ongoing 2008–2012 cycle does not represent a system, sufficiently modern and fair, to provide the motivation I need to go through a lengthy process of preparations and matches and to perform at my best.

Reigning champion privileges, the long (five year) span of the cycle, changes made during the cycle resulting in a new format (Candidates) that no World Champion has had to go through since Kasparov, puzzling ranking criteria as well as the shallow ceaseless match-after-match concept are all less than satisfactory in my opinion. "
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Nov '10 17:28
    What a twat.
  10. Joined
    17 Dec '04
    Moves
    09 Nov '10 21:45
    Originally posted by vipiu
    it is not next year...it is after 3 years...
    or current cycle has 5 years...
    Thanks, my mistake.
  11. Cyberspace
    Moves
    10 Nov '10 21:22
    Wow, did MC just wake up now? What was he doing the past 3 years when preparations were going on for the next round of the WC? Why didnt it dawn on him earler?
    Its not fair to ask FIDE to change the format at the last moment when already the challengers for the candidate tournament have been announced? I dont know what his REAL reasons are for pulling out.
  12. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Nov '10 07:36
    Originally posted by arterioes
    Wow, did MC just wake up now? What was he doing the past 3 years when preparations were going on for the next round of the WC? Why didnt it dawn on him earler?
    Its not fair to ask FIDE to change the format at the last moment when already the challengers for the candidate tournament have been announced? I dont know what his REAL reasons are for pulling out.
    he was not that strong 3 years back...and probably none would have written an article on chessbase about him, and none would have opened a thread in RHP 🙂
    now, his word has weight...

by the way, I liked FIDE reply...I was not expecting them to be so....flexible and to speak like they are really opened to the good changes
  13. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    12 Nov '10 21:33
    Originally posted by vipiu
    he was not that strong 3 years back...and probably none would have written an article on chessbase about him, and none would have opened a thread in RHP 🙂
    now, his word has weight...

by the way, I liked FIDE reply...I was not expecting them to be so....flexible and to speak like they are really opened to the good changes
    Yes for once i agree, FIDE were very diplomatic in response. I think Mag's got a screw loose pulling out. One can only assume he's lost his bottle because from where i'm standing, he is probably the favourite along with Kramnik and Aronian...(Possibly Topalov though he seems to have gone completely off the boil of late, not to mention Mamedyarov who looks in really top form at the moment!)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree