1. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 11:32
    I was thinking for a long time that the system is unfair...and I was also comparing it with football....
    (and as extra, there should be no rematch granted for thw WCh)

What do you think ?
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 13:231 edit
    it's a ridiculously dated system bending over backwards to serve the whims of the current champion.

it should begin from scratch every year. a top level tournament, or series of tournaments. no 'these are my conditions, this is my price' or any of that manipulative nonsense that's rampant every goddamn year now. you either show up, or forfeit and forever hold your piece. no exceptions, no special treatment for anybody.
  3. Joined
    19 Sep '10
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 13:43
    "Carlsen questioned this procedure, saying it was as if football World Cup champions Spain were already secured a berth in the final of the 2014 World Cup."

Well that seems a fair enough comment to me!

What are the chances of FIDE actually paying attention and changing the system in future though...?
  4. gumtree
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 14:02
    Originally posted by CharlieDan
    "Carlsen questioned this procedure, saying it was as if football World Cup champions Spain were already secured a berth in the final of the 2014 World Cup."

Well that seems a fair enough comment to me!

What are the chances of FIDE actually paying attention and changing the system in future though...?
    Slim to none.

At least ICCF can sort out a sensible world championship system. Everybody who qualifies plays in the preliminary round and qualification for further rounds comes from that. No special place for the last bloke who won.
  5. Joined
    29 Aug '10
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 14:20
    Kasparov's coaching. lol
  6. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 15:21
    It's all Liv Tyler's fault!
  7. c6
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 15:282 edits
    Now Carlsen has permanently secured a Fischer-esque "what-if" status in this World Championship cycle, without having had to risk anything against the veterans that have been giving him a few too many whuppings lately.

It's a brilliant career move, but dang if it ain't annoying for chess fans.

Of course, it might all just be part of the negotiation process. Who's to say at this point?

That all being said, I think his queasiness with the WC cycle is justified.

Why not take the top 4, 8, or 16 rated active players, match them up randomly in slow-time-control mini-matches, and have the last two GMs standing face it off in an old-timey classical match? I'm partial to the 'first to X wins' rules in such a situation myself, but that's as a bloodthirsty fan, not as a participant.

The pace and gigantic scope of our current KO system is just all wrong. And, like in the World Cup, I agree that I would love to see even the champions start at the bottom and fight their way up.
  8. Joined
    29 Aug '10
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 17:15
    Who takes his place?
  9. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 18:37
    Originally posted by greenerpawn
    Who takes his place?
    If it goes by the next highest rated player, it would be Grischuk.
  10. Joined
    29 Aug '10
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 19:07
    good luck grischuk.

carlsen at 19 already too big for the world.
  11. Joined
    26 Jan '10
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 19:21
    Originally posted by greenerpawn
    carlsen at 19 already too big for the world.[/b]
    If Magnus Carlsen wants things to change then he should win the world championship and immediately give the title back. Then he could spend every single year smashing the reigning champion.

What is the point of being the champion when the guy who is 'second best' is always beating you?
  12. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 19:27
    CARLSEN WHAT ARE YOU DOING????

Take a stand as CHAMPION! As champion he has weight, as challenger he is no body and that's the simple truth.

I'm so disappointed, he is destined to hold that title, who knows what the situation will be in 5 years time. What a fool! Jesus wept... 😞:'(
  13. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 20:121 edit
    It's clever play on Carlsen's part.

He has a very minimal chance of making it out of the second match, which would be most likely against Kramnik.

Instead of busting his ass in what would be two matches against world champions (Kramnik, then Anand if he won), he can withdraw, complain about the format and compete in the next go round in a regular tournament.

By then both Anand and Kramnik would be past their peaks and Carlsen would be closer to his.

Plus Mag can spend the rest of the year partying with models and using GK's database to crush opponents with the Scotch while everyone else hemorrhages rating points because they don't want to reveal their opening prep for the championship matches.
  14. e4
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 21:28
    Maybe Kasparov told him to do it?
  15. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 21:57
    I think it's cowardly, the current system makes being the world champion extremely prestigious and that's how it should be. If it were a regular tournament, we would have a new champion every year and it wouldn't be a big deal. Just another tournament win.

Chess isn't soccer! soccer is a team sport where the world cup team roster changes every 4 year dramatically. In chess you are the world champion until someone takes it away from you, just like boxing or MMA. Those individual sports are much more comparable to chess. In MMA the fighters are hungry and battle it out against eachother until they get a well deserved title shot. Why can't Magnus have the same competitive spirit? He's acting like a little diva because he's the number one rated, but we haven't seen him dominate match play. The real one on one battle. His ego is starting to swell, I hope we're not seeing his downfall already.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree