Making a move at wrong time

Making a move at wrong time

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

v

Moves
25 May 11

It's happened with me quite a few times. I am not feeling fresh or energetic or just bored, and I decide to open RHP. And, I see some exciting move and play it. And, then immediately or maybe a move later realized my mistake.
I tell myself not to do it but can't prevent it sometimes.

Does it happen with you?

t

Moves
25 May 11

Originally posted by vishyanand
It's happened with me quite a few times. I am not feeling fresh or energetic or just bored, and I decide to open RHP. And, I see some exciting move and play it. And, then immediately or maybe a move later realized my mistake.

Does it happen with you?
All the time. I just lost two games vs the same opponent because of this... and they weren't even exciting moves.

Tennessee

Moves
25 May 11

Yes, all too often I am afraid. Related to that is that sometimes I play too many games and forget what my plan in a game is. Then when I go to the game I make a move that is good for a different game not that one. Result? Losing a game that should have been a win.

t

Moves
25 May 11

i just played my first otb games since...years. in the third game i moved a piece, saw it was mate in one and immediately changed. that was really bad - a behaviour i picked up when playing 'casually' with friends.

it is REALLY hard to get such a bad habbit out of the head. however, rhp allowed me to get the rate down extremely: first, i can check all blunders long enough (which i just established as a new habbit: check all checks etc.), second i can not take the move back... still it sometimes happens, the blunder move.

the key in reduction is being aware of yourself. you analyzed yourself, seeing, that you tend to make spontaneous moves - also called creativity(!). now remember the dogs of pawlow: they salivated when the bell rang, even when no food came anymore. it is hard to loose these 'habbits' just by pure 'will force' (actually impossible).

so one way to solve it: keep doing it on purpose. and then scold yourself for it. the accumulated bad feelings after each time will train you to do this less often 😉

M

Moves
26 May 11

I do it on occasion since signing up here on RHP, and find it usually happens when I have a few games on, or have no plan in a position, that I make an appealing looking move without checking to see if it stands up.

Part of its a little rustiness, as I haven't played much chess, but I would like to get into a routine of checking certain things before I make a move, or explore the position more deeply.

Coming up with a mental checklist of things to run through and check before I make a move, has been on my mind, and would like to make it habit.

The things I am looking at checking before I move include:
-ability of my opponent to check me
-loose pieces on the board (mine and my opponents)
-any pins on the board
-trying to see the position from my opponents eyes

Not an exhaustive list, but brushing up on my tactics is helping me be mindful of critical things to watch for. What do you keep an eye on before making a move ?

Moves
26 May 11

Often, when I have a tactic in mind, I just write it down in the notebook...

I also put warnings like "knight is pinned", "defend the pawn on ...", "watch out, possible mate by..."

v

Moves
26 May 11

thanks for sharing

M

Moves
26 May 11
1 edit

Originally posted by tharkesh
i just played my first otb games since...years. in the third game i moved a piece, saw it was mate in one and immediately changed. that was really bad - a behaviour i picked up when playing 'casually' with friends.
Yes, that one is a killer alright, and something I am going to have to be wary of personally when beginning to play some over the board chess again.

Moves
26 May 11

thanks for sharing
Being sarcastic? :-)

I meant it more as a reply to what Porky1016 said, about forgetting his plan.

t

Moves
27 May 11

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
27 May 11

Originally posted by tvochess
Often, when I have a tactic in mind, I just write it down in the notebook...
I also put warnings like "knight is pinned", "defend the pawn on ...", "watch out, possible mate by..."
Saved many a game with notebook warning to myself. Also, twice, accidently put those warnings into "Message Opponent" and sent them along to my grateful foe. 😠 😳

Rec'd, tvo.

v

Moves
28 May 11

Originally posted by tvochess
Being sarcastic? :-)

I meant it more as a reply to what Porky1016 said, about forgetting his plan.
I also like to record. But, I get lazy after a while 🙂

Moves
28 May 11

(..) But, I get lazy after a while 🙂
Hehe,

me too, or I forget to read my own notes...

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
29 May 11

Does it happen with you?
It is usually the very first move I make after signing on, only on days that I work. It also tends to be in games of a more strategic nature, where my tactical sense isn't immediately alerted.

I've become more sensitive to it and have reduced the frequency, but when it happens I just laugh and move on!