1. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 19:46
    I have a book by Max Euwe called Chess Master vs Amateur. I had my parents by it for me when I was 9 years old. I got nothing out of that book at that point. I feel as though perhaps I am ready to gain something from that book now, though. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get those games in PGN format so I could put them in Fritz and go through them that way. I much prefer doing these things on a computer than an actual board. Thanks.
  2. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 19:48
    Originally posted by amolv06
    I have a book by Max Euwe called Chess Master vs Amateur. I had my parents by it for me when I was 9 years old. I got nothing out of that book at that point. I feel as though perhaps I am ready to gain something from that book now, though. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get those games in PGN format so I could put them in Fritz and go through them that way. I much prefer doing these things on a computer than an actual board. Thanks.
    I don't know about that, unless you manually transfer them yourself.
    I just wanted to point out that Chess Master vs Chess Master is an excellent sequel. I remember a game Browne vs Bisguier from that book that was just astounding. It put the Petroff's Defense in very hot water for a while. 🙂
  3. e4
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 20:20
    Hi amolv06

yes two excellent books and 'The Road to Chess Mastery' some words
    of priceless wisdom in these books.

I think you may know what I am going to say next.

Please do your future chess a big favour and study the book with a
    standard board and pieces.

You may prefer the monitor method because of it's ease but I
    fear it will not do you as much good as studying with a set.

The book was written to be studied with a full sized set.
  4. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 20:28
    It is available, but you might have to jump through a couple of hoops to get there.

You can find it on the archived Ossimitz site in Chessbase format (cbv file extension), which is the default Fritz archived file extension.

When I download Ossimitz files from the archived site, I can't use a download manager - I have to use the Windows "save as" feature. Also, my freeware version of Winzip can't unzip the file (it says the file isn't a valid archive file). But I AM able to extract the files using the freeware program IZarc.

http://web.archive.org/web/20071227225430rn_1/wwwu.uni-klu.ac.at/gossimit/c/book.htm
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 20:48
    @GreenPawn:

I agree with your advice, however 95% of the chess I play nowdays is on my computer. When I lived in a dorm there were a few people I used to play on an actual board with all the time, but nowdays virtually everything is computer. There are a few guys here who meet up on Tuesdays, but I only recently found out about them, and still only get maybe 1-2 games on an actual board.

That said, I know exactly what you're talking about. I feel my board vision is seriously lacking at times.

@MadRook

Thanks for the link! I'll see if I can get it to work when I get home.
  6. e4
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 20:55
    Hi Mad Rook

I went to the site - downloaded a few things which i'll print off at
    work - suddenly the site froze saying the traffic was too busy.

I guess half of RHP is there now....downloading...
  7. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 20:56
    @GreenPawn:

I agree with your advice, however 95% of the chess I play nowdays is on my computer. When I lived in a dorm there were a few people I used to play on an actual board with all the time, but nowdays virtually everything is computer. There are a few guys here who meet up on Tuesdays, but I only recently found out about them, and still only get ma ...[text shortened]... t times.

@MadRook

Thanks for the link! I'll see if I can get it to work when I get home.
    You think that's rough. I haven't played another chessplayer over the board in at least 4 years. 🙂
    I don't think I've gone a day without setting up a board though.
    I have many many sets but my main board is showing definite signs of battle.
    My board is the Polish Ambassador board. It's brown and kind of cream, I guess. The squares are 2 1/4. The latches on it are long broken. There are nicks all over and a scratch from when I took it to school in my backpack years agon and scraped it with a notebook. The storage compartment underneath is still in tact although I keep my pieces in a candy box from Neiman Marcus. 🙂

My set is a nice Rosewood set from the U.S. Chess Federation. It originally came in a nice leather snap box. It is long gone. All four rooks are super glued from droppage. One white pawn is mended the same way. The king is 3 3/4 inches high.

I have seen the Polish Ambassador board/set online but for the life of me can not find this Rosewood set. The bishops are quite unique.

After over 10 years of use, they still hold up incredibly well.

🙂
  8. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    08 Oct '08 21:02
    As for clocks, I only use the Chronos. 🙂
    I wish I still had one of the old wind up clocks though. If the world comes to a near end and batteries fail, it would be nice to have a back up clock. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree