1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 10:47
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Women are more than the sum of their plastic surgeries.
    🙂

They got brains, the most attractive feature of a woman.
  2. London
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 11:384 edits
    "Men are SMARTER than women at chess."

ABSOLUTELY NOT. MEN - ESPECIALLY chess PLAYERS "at chess" - ARE PRETTY DAMN scruffy AND OFTEN HAVE A VERY poor DRESS SENSE. WHEN I SEE PHOTOS IN MY FAVORITE CHESS MAGAZINE I ALWAYS THINK HOW MUCH smarter THE women PLAYERS ARE THAN THEIR MALE COUNTERPARTS...GRADE DOESN'T EVEN COME INTO IT. ANYONE WOULD AGREE...THERE ARE many many THOUSANDS OF EXAMPLES...FACT FACT FACT.

THIS COULD OF COURSE BE SOMETHING TO DO WITH pattern RECOGNITION...WHERE SOMEONE CAN LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND KNOW IMMEDIATELY THAT SOMETHING JUST LOOKS RIGHT OR IF IT WILL BE A COMPLETE disaster...OR IT COULD BE THAT MEN HAVE LARGER BRAINS BUT WITH LESS STUFF INSIDE.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 11:43
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    🙂

They got brains, the most attractive feature of a woman.
    Do you think trepanation will ever become fashionable again?
  4. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 15:341 edit
    Originally posted by cheater1
    This post is not as “DEBATABLE” as my earlier post and may consequentially be viewed as inflammatory, but it is NOT. I have read (in my Ravenous appetite for all things chess) that women can be just as good as men at chess, or that a woman may one day hold the title of World Chess Champion. That makes me UPSET beyond words. I am here to ONCE AND FOR ALL dec ...[text shortened]... TE 2700+ mark. And a “paltry” 2693 rating gets you ranked tied for 34th place on the men’s list.
    Yep, you are right. In addition to your thoughts I would add that NO WOMEN should be ALLOWED to play GAMBITS or force tempo gains BY ANY MEANS. (except when experiencing strong PMS symptoms.) That's just too unnatural for them.
  5. Columbus, Ohio
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 17:32
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Women are more than the sum of their plastic surgeries.
    Unless, of course, we're speaking of The Real Housewives of Orange County.
  6. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 17:411 edit
    Originally posted by RandyFlagg
    I know this guy perfers we stay on topic but i got to say, "hphovercraft" is a hilarious handle. Well done.
    I have to agree with you on that one. Even Azathoth himself, the blind idiot god, would break into a hideously diabolical smile.
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 19:02
    Isn't the 3rd rated player on this site female?
  8. Joined
    12 May '07
    Moves
    14 Mar '09 00:401 edit
    First off, LETS DEAL IN THE PRESENT!!!!!!!! Polgar, as I said before, is 2693. This is 2009, people.

http://ratings.fide.com/top.phtml?list=women

She is currently tied for ranked 36 in the world.

http://ratings.fide.com/top.phtml

Even at her pinnacle, 2735, she made it to #8. I WILL retract my statement that she will never be elite. 2735 ranked 5. A 2735 with her record is LIGHTYEARS away from challenging the #1.

I stand by my FACTS.
    Which 'facts' do you stand by exactly, cheater1?

Your statement that: a female becoming the world number one chess player would defy the laws of nature. - Is exactly that, a statement, not a fact. Moden chess has only been around for a couple of centuries, In terms of the evolution of humanity that is nothing. It is simply too early to tell, especially taking social aspects(I.e. female rights) into account.

Or that: Men have a killer instinct/are natural born killers. - Again, unture. In modern western society were men grow up in an environment where food and shelter are abundant, most don't go around hunting or gathering. Plus Buddists vow not to kill anything at all.

Or that: Chess is war. - No, War is war, chess is a parlour game.

Or that: the continuation of the species depended on men solving problems and inventing things. - undoubtedly helpful, but the main attribute I would suggest( although I have no proof) is that mankind has adapted to constantly changing environments. In order to do this well you would have to come to terms with your changing emotions such as fear, doubt and anxiety etc. You yourself stated that women are better at dealing with these emotions.

Plus there are plenty of women who have risen to the top of fields such as mathematics, science and business. Which a few centuries ago would of been laughed at, certainly in victorian England for example.

No logical arguments, no reference to sources, no facts.
  9. washington
    Moves
    14 Mar '09 01:14
    he seems to be adopting the slippery slope fallacy from politics. Evolution is a bunch of hog wash and so is claiming that men are better at chess type of thinking. Chess is not a game that you excel at right away. Chess at any age must be learned and I don't know a single person who has just learned to move the pieces can calculate variations very well. Its all learned and you obviously do not have all the answers. It seems you are just looking for attention. Your more or less the reason women have not risen to a competitive level. Women have only been playing chess for a small amount of years and also you are forgetting how many more men play than women. This means that they should have a higher percentage of becoming world champion.
  10. washington
    Moves
    14 Mar '09 01:16
    oh yea evolution hasn't been proven yet its only a theory. They are looking for that "missing link" hard to believe evolution exists when our so called ancestors "primates" are still on the planet 🙄
  11. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    14 Mar '09 04:07
    And some of these primates even manage to post silly threads on chess sites too![if you know who I mean!!?----------😀
  12. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    14 Mar '09 07:36
    This post is not as “DEBATABLE” as my earlier post and may consequentially be viewed as inflammatory, but it is NOT. I have read (in my Ravenous appetite for all things chess) that women can be just as good as men at chess, or that a woman may one day hold the title of World Chess Champion. That makes me UPSET beyond words. I am here to ONCE AND FOR ALL dec ...[text shortened]... TE 2700+ mark. And a “paltry” 2693 rating gets you ranked tied for 34th place on the men’s list.
    Maybe you are correct. You don't have to capitalize key words in your posts however, we can all read here...😏
  13. Joined
    27 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Mar '09 08:02
    First of all, your post seems to contradict your earlier statement: "FACT, the MAIN trait needed to become an elite player is a PHOTOGRAPHIC MEMORY". This has nothing to do with being smart. If your debates would have any logic and consistancy you would have explained that fewer women have photographic memory.

But, just to please you, here is the real answer to the question why do more men excel at chess:

http://scienceblogs.com/notrocketscience/2008/12/why_are_there_so_few_female_chess_grandmasters.php

It is just like the question: why do girls play with dolls?
    Answer: because they get a doll for their birthday.
  14. Standard memberBobson 94
    Fleeting Member
    Lisburn, UK
    Moves
    14 Mar '09 13:22
    I am in the minority in appreciating these posts, your comedy stimulates the immature nerve endings on my funny bone. I hope for your sake you are simply a creative writer with a bit of time on his hands.

If you are being sincere with these rants, you are a nutcase.

(oh) It is difficult to accurately compare women and men on an equal footing in chess, owing to the veritable sausage festival that chess and their clubs tend to be. The base is distinctly skewed towards 'male' - a conservative estimate would put the m:f ratio at about 25 to 1.
  15. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    14 Mar '09 14:28
    Why is everybody so keen to jump to the defence of a lost arguement, sure there are a few (and I really do mean FEW) strong female players but the vast majority of them are not that great and all the whinging and moaning about chauvanism or that it is a waste of time to play chess is not going to change that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree