1. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 13:42
    Originally posted by vipiu
    no way, you are not young enough and not strong enough. There are many allmost FM level at your age...and...anyway, doesn't worth it.

as I lived in a comunist country,
    I know someone who did the same and peaked about less than 2200 OTB (he is poor and he has to have another poor job now, with no studies)...
    I know another one who got peaked about 2450(IM) ...[text shortened]... ake a living out of chess...so...you decide

Edit: now means when is is about 20+ years old
    why exactly does age make that big of a difference?? it's not like tennis where you hit 30 and retire... high level chess till upwards of 50 is more than possible.
  2. Joined
    03 Mar '07
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 13:48
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    why exactly does age make that big of a difference?? it's not like tennis where you hit 30 and retire... high level chess till upwards of 50 is more than possible.
    It is possible but not likely. Not on the highest level. There is a reason that the last canidates matches were dominated by under 30 GMs.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 13:57
    Originally posted by Leaadas
    It is possible but not likely. Not on the highest level. There is a reason that the last canidates matches were dominated by under 30 GMs.
    You're right.. when I made this thread though I wasn't thinking 'famous professional' I was thinking 'local coach'.
  4. Joined
    03 Mar '07
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 14:10
    Oh local coach? Thats more than likely to come down to business skills then chess skills. I mean I knew a guy who probably wasn't any stronger than 1600 at his peak skill level, but he still did alright as a coach to lower level players and kids. I think that had more to do with his business skills and being able to sell his 'product' more than his chess skills.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 15:50
    Just out of curiosity, at what level (rating) must someone be before he or she can attempt to make money in chess, whether it be through tournaments or other means?
    2500+ Fide to get by, 2600+ to earn a decent living, 2700 and over, you'll do well financially.
    Not too many of them. Sad.
    You'd do better playing beach volleyball or hustling pool.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 15:55
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    2500+ Fide to get by, 2600+ to earn a decent living, 2700 and over, you'll do well financially.
    Not too many of them. Sad.
    You'd do better playing beach volleyball or hustling pool.
    that's kinda what i anticipated at the 'professional' level.
  7. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 16:42
    When I was young and single I had a crappy job and lived in a used mobile home but I could play in 2-3 tmts. a month and got my rating to 2095. Reckoned I could reach the magic 2200 mark and had my study plans all laid out. Got married and life was no longer about me. Back to school, two jobs, mortgage, two car pmts., groceries, insurance, you name it. Everybody wanted my money and my time wasn’t my own. I’m close to early retirement now, but I still barely have time for a half dozen CC games at a time. Oh, and my plans to become a master… they went into the toilet ages ago. No regrets though…I’m happy. The point is whatever dreams you have follow them now and don’t let anybody discourage you because time has a way of changing your priorities.
  8. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 18:231 edit
    I don't have the exact numbers...they are on my blog

But I have won several tournament and total of $240...in 2 years...

and my chess fees and entry fees are exactly the same so I broke even!

and I made a few bucks here and there from teaching... Spent most of it on gas cost though driving there and back. Better of just working a normal job. Would make way more money per hour.

edit: we have these sectional though, 4 per year...they group 6 ppl with similar ratings and it's a round robin. Entry fee is 25 and prize is 100...I love those cus first they are near your rating so you have a good shot at winning the money and plus the competition is perfect!
    Not like those swisses where you get hammered in the first few rounds, then it's to easy and at the end it's just right. Sectionals rule!
    They mostly fly in a GM for the top section to keep it interesting.
  9. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    28 Jun '07 05:38
    in my county, we had a cash tournament open to all elementary-high school players. A senior (1808 rating) won it ($1200) while 6 people tied for second ($320). This included myself (1400ish), my brother (1400ish), a sixth grader (1025 rating), a second grader (600), and a couple other 1000 rated people. I found the second grader part rather humourous, seeing how the average player there was above 900, so he shouldnt have had a chance.
  10. London
    Moves
    28 Jun '07 13:52
    You're right.. when I made this thread though I wasn't thinking 'famous professional' I was thinking 'local coach'.
    It's wrong to assume that a player with a high rating will also be a good coach. If you enjoy coaching and and are prepared to learn some good teaching methods then there's no reason why you can't earn some money this way. It could be quite handy as you would be able to have a few students to earn some money whilst you continue your studies (if that's what you'd like to do). To make this a profession over time you'd need quite a few students, some groups lessons, and to supplement your income by running some tournaments and possibly selling some chess equipment too - maybe run a chess/games store - and write some articles for chess publications.

I think the professional chess community are similar to musicians in this way. There are a very few at the top who can command large fees and many who rely on a range of income streams - a musician might teach, do gigs, some session work etc. while a chess player might run a website, teach, write, run tournaments and maybe the occasional winning pot from a competition.

Problem with chess is that there are so many players in the IM/GM bracket making a living this way. The end of the communist era and the opening of borders in Eastern Europe has bought on many changes here as the top rated players in these countries became available to work internationally. Not to say you should fear competition but as somebody said in another post - it depends what you call a living.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree