Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 24 Sep '08 00:29
    Submit your vote here! It can be one of your games, famous games, whatever you want it to be.
  2. Standard member clandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    24 Sep '08 00:38
    Originally posted by stockton1984
    Submit your vote here! It can be one of your games, famous games, whatever you want it to be.
    Hmm... there was a certain game played on rhp where a player sacked a rook, queen, and a minor piece, and went on to mate his opponent on the other side of the board. Unfortunately, I cant find it.
  3. 24 Sep '08 00:44 / 1 edit
    This one always brings a smile to my face: Game 3967407. I must say I'm disappointed with vipiu's progress since it was played, I thought he would be World Champion by now.
  4. 24 Sep '08 00:50
    For different reasons I have a few. This one simply because Fischer mated one of the greatest players of all time in the middle of the board. It's like he was laughing at history ...

  5. 24 Sep '08 00:51
    And this one because Fischer showed up late and had only 5 minutes remaining on his clock, and he won!!

  6. 24 Sep '08 00:52
    And of course the game of the century.

  7. 24 Sep '08 01:25
    Originally posted by petrovitch
    And of course the game of the century.

    [pgn]
    [Event "Rosenwald Memorial"]
    [Site "Game of the Century"]
    [Date "1956.10.17"]
    [EventDate "?"]
    [Round "8"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [White "Donald Byrne"]
    [Black "Robert James Fischer"]
    [ECO "D92"]
    [WhiteElo "?"]
    [BlackElo "?"]
    [PlyCount "82"]

    1. Nf3 Nf6 2. c4 g6 3. Nc3 Bg7 4. d4 O-O 5. Bf4 d5 6. Qb3 dxc ...[text shortened]... . Kd1 Bb3+
    39. Kc1 Ne2+ 40. Kb1 Nc3+ 41. Kc1 Rc2# 0-1

    [/pgn]
    I never understood the appeal of that game. He gets plenty of material for the queen, I don't see what's the big deal. Positional queen sacs for 2 minor pieces, like Tal's and Nezhmetdinov's, are much more impressive IMO.
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    24 Sep '08 01:50
    Originally posted by Heroic Metool
    I never understood the appeal of that game. He gets plenty of material for the queen, I don't see what's the big deal. Positional queen sacs for 2 minor pieces, like Tal's and Nezhmetdinov's, are much more impressive IMO.
    Internet chess heroes are really something. It's real easy to see a result of a combination when the game is over.

    You do realize that Fischer was 13 years old when this game was played?
  9. 24 Sep '08 01:58 / 1 edit
    I'm not an internet chess hero; I would never be able to play a game like that, even if I studied for a million years. I just said it's not as impressive as other queen sacs that have been posted on these forums, and I wouldn't even consider it a contender for "most beautiful chess game ever". That's all.
  10. 24 Sep '08 02:11
    Originally posted by Heroic Metool
    I never understood the appeal of that game. He gets plenty of material for the queen, I don't see what's the big deal. Positional queen sacs for 2 minor pieces, like Tal's and Nezhmetdinov's, are much more impressive IMO.
    Understanding this at his age! It's like remembering your child's first word. With this game the world knew that this kid may become the world champion.
  11. 24 Sep '08 02:11
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Internet chess heroes are really something. It's real easy to see a result of a combination when the game is over.

    You do realize that Fischer was 13 years old when this game was played?
    Yes, I had already commented on the previous remark before reading yours. Yes, his age. That is beauty in itself.
  12. 24 Sep '08 02:13
    Originally posted by Heroic Metool
    I'm not an internet chess hero; I would never be able to play a game like that, even if I studied for a million years. I just said it's not as impressive as other queen sacs that have been posted on these forums, and I wouldn't even consider it a contender for "most beautiful chess game ever". That's all.
    It just depends on what you call beautiful. I have a schnauzer who just turned 3. To me she is one of the most beautiful things in the world. This game I find beautiful too.
  13. Standard member eldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    24 Sep '08 02:34 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by petrovitch
    And of course the game of the century.
    Beat me to the punch.

  14. 24 Sep '08 07:18


    Maybe not as high quality as those other games but its probably one of my best games.
  15. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    25 Sep '08 15:30
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    [pgn][Event "Rapid Game"] [Site "chesshere.com"] [Date "2007.12.28"] [White "elonater"][Black "king_cobra"] [Result "1-0"] [WhiteElo "----"] [BlackElo "----"]
    1. e4 e5 2. f4 exf4 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. e5 Nh5 5. d4 d6 6. Qe2 d5 7. c4 dxc4 8. Qxc4 g5 9. Qb3 g4 10. Bc4 Qe7 11. O-O gxf3 12. Qxf3 Qd7 13. Kh1 Qxd4 14. Bxf7+ Kxf7 15. Qxh5+ Kg8 16. Rxf4 Qd7 17. Rxf8+ Kx ...[text shortened]... not as high quality as those other games but its probably one of my best games.
    Something wrong with 26...Bxd1 ?