Multiplayer Chess Game Jan 4th 2013

Multiplayer Chess Game Jan 4th 2013

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
22 Jan 14
1 edit

16. Nxd5

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
25 Jan 14

Looks like Black has forfeited on time.

Moves
25 Jan 14
2 edits

I made the last move for my team, not much I could do.

GG

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
25 Jan 14

Can we use the same thread to discuss the game since it's over?

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
25 Jan 14

Guess not. F it, I'm going to the bar. πŸ˜›

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
25 Jan 14

I knew it, it had to happen... methinks the rules need tweaking again. Maybe allow a person who last moved to move again when there's only a few hours left?

Having teams where everyone depends on everyone else is difficult to manage. In my heyday (back in ye olden days) I would sometimes invite two or more people to play the same game against me, because I knew this could only help me. I also offered to play with one arm tied behind my back and wearing a patch over one eye... hee hee hee hee hee hee chortle snicker gaffaw. πŸ˜›

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
25 Jan 14

Originally posted by lemon lime
I knew it, it had to happen... methinks the rules need tweaking again. Maybe allow a person who last moved to move again when there's only a few hours left?

Having teams where everyone depends on everyone else is difficult to manage. In my heyday (back in ye olden days) I would sometimes invite two or more people to play the same game against me, becau ...[text shortened]... d my back and wearing a patch over one eye... hee hee hee hee hee hee chortle snicker gaffaw. πŸ˜›
No rule changes can overcome the sheer apathy displayed by the black team. Rule changes can't fix the fact that none of the players want to move.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
25 Jan 14

kLmj hfff t h hh i
eeeeeeeeeee

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
25 Jan 14

Originally posted by SwissGambit
No rule changes can overcome the sheer apathy displayed by the black team. Rule changes can't fix the fact that none of the players want to move.
I agree, but the problem inherent in this isn't with the black team... as soon as any team runs into trouble the apathy will start taking over. It was worth doing these games as an experiment, to see if it can be done, so it's not a total loss... but anytime I've been part of a team play like this, or watched one in progress, I've never seen it do anything but fall apart.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying from my own experience that I've never seen a game like this reach the end. Even if everyone leaves except for the last two players to finish, no one wants to take full credit for losing a game they were only a part of at the beginning. Takes the thrill out of winning too, because no one can honestly say they single handedly won the game.

I think chess players by nature are lone wolves and not team players, we like to be in control and not share that control. And the game itself really isn't designed for team play, it's designed for single combatant problem solvers.

Über-Nerd

Moves
25 Jan 14

We have had three unsatisfactory results in three tries. It looks to me like a flawed concept. I don't see how a rule tweek could fix it.

The drunk knight

Stuck on g1

Moves
25 Jan 14

Maybe they saw it was hopeless and ran the game to timeout instead of resigning
very spiteful :p

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
25 Jan 14

I really doubt it was spiteful on their part. Perhaps it was a case of being stuck and worried there might be a way out, but not seeing it.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
25 Jan 14

16...Qxd5! 17. Bxf6!

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
25 Jan 14

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
16...Qxd5! 17. Bxf6!
Heh he he ha...boom!... BOOM!! he he he
Tough actin Tinactin!!

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
25 Jan 14
1 edit

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
Heh he he ha...boom!... BOOM!! he he he
Tough actin Tinactin!!
JM thinks that if there's a flag down, all the pieces should have to move back one square.

Edit: and if this drives the King off the board, then BOOM! - it's a safety.