1. Joined
    02 Mar '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 03:06
    What do you think of Winning Chess Endings; compared to Fine's endings book?
  2. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 03:59
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    The following books would form the basis of a good chess library. Also, many of them can be found in economical Dover editions:

A. Alekhine, “My Best Games of Chess 1908-1937”
    Max Euwe, “The Middlegame: Pts. I and II”
    M. Botvinnik, “100 Selected Games”
    David Bronstein, “Zurich International Chess Tournament, 1953”
    Smyslov and Levenfisch, ...[text shortened]... tem,” and “Chess Praxis”
    Richard Reti, “Masters of the Chessboard,” and “Modern Ideas in Chess”
    Good posting as usual, you know your stuff! 🙂
  3. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 04:28
    Originally posted by zebano
    I didn't find the concpts in Silman's book difficult at all and I read it when I was a 1200. Vukovic's book is dense with many many variations.
    Good chessbooks are always full of variations and ideas and new concepts. If it's an easy read it isn't helping you much. Take the time to play through the variations and understand the concepts. Don't try to read chessbooks which contain variations cover to cover.

I got great use of Art of the Attack and I'd recommend it to pretty much everyone.
  4. Kuala Lumpur
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 05:08
    Great list Basso!

I think I'm going to get Pawn Structure Chess and Art of Attack although I am just probaly around 1300-1400. I'm just another chess enthusiast who loves collecting more books than I can ever read!
  5. Joined
    20 Nov '05
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 06:27
    I just ordered Tal-Botvinnik, 1960 - by Tal. It's been highly recommended in other forums. A little surprised it hasn't been mentioned here. Anyone read this book?
  6. Under Cover
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 06:35
    Originally posted by erling
    I just ordered Tal-Botvinnik, 1960 - by Tal. It's been highly recommended in other forums. A little surprised it hasn't been mentioned here. Anyone read this book?
    Haven't heard anything about that book, but I'm about ready to buy
    The Life & Games of Mikhail Tal by Mikhail Tal. I've heard many good things about this book.
  7. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 13:58
    Life and Games of Tal is excellent. I've also heard many good things about Tal - Botvinnik 1960.

What about Fischer's 60 most memorable games??
  8. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 14:53
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    The following books would form the basis of a good chess library. Also, many of them can be found in economical Dover editions:
    David Bronstein, “Zurich International Chess Tournament, 1953”
    I can't believe that I forgot that one. Awesome book!
  9. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 14:54
    Originally posted by Tengu
    Life and Games of Tal is excellent. I've also heard many good things about Tal - Botvinnik 1960.

Life and games of Tal has some excellent stories. I havn't read it for any chess content yet though.
  10. Parallel Universe
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 15:28
    Originally posted by Tengu
    That seems to be one expensive book, at least it is on Amazon.com! Looks like it was released several times, which is confusing to me. Do I want to buy the most recent version?
  11. The South Pole
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 15:30

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    14 Jun '05
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 15:43
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I just got Silman's "How To Reassess Your Chess" today. It's the 3rd edition, which seemingly has several new chapters and lots of additional examples. Maybe it will continue to grow. 🙂

I also got Vukovic's "Art of Attack" today. I decided it was time to start studying the game.
    what's this crap about "time to start studying the game"! you're rating's like 1700 something. how did you get this good?
  13. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 15:46
    Originally posted by Famous G
    what's this crap about "time to start studying the game"! you're rating's like 1700 something. how did you get this good?
    One would assume by studying their own games, chatting with other players and planning.
  14. The sky
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 16:23
    Originally posted by Famous G
    Not long after I had started playing (which was 1 1/2 years ago), I went through Josh Waitzkin's Chess Academy in Chessmaster 10th Edition to grasp some basic principles, and that has helped me a lot. So it may not be entirely true to say that I haven't studied the game, but I just went through that Academy rather quickly, and since then I have mostly just played, taking a lot of time to analyze my moves (the analyze board is my friend), and I have picked up some tips here and there. Now I have reached a point where I feel that just playing and picking up some tips here and there won't get me much further.
  15. Joined
    14 Jun '05
    Moves
    05 Apr '06 16:29
    Originally posted by zebano
    One would assume by studying their own games, chatting with other players and planning.
    what's the planning part entail ? Ps my post wasn't meant to sound distrusting, it sounds a little now that i'm reading it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree