must-read chess books

must-read chess books

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
20 Aug 11

Originally posted by greenpawn34
I do one every 20 years. (Raymond Keene in reverse).

Perhaps I could RHP's 100 best games.
The first 99 will be my games. 😏 and the 100th will be one of Paul Leggetts.
(finding it will take me 20 years) 😉

Speaking of RK his books are OK.
Yes he has found been out by Edward Winter a few times.
(cutting and pasting stuff from one of his books ...[text shortened]... een him give out any bad advice.

(Though I've got nowhere near everything he has written.)
I own two examples. Winning with the Hypermodern that he cowrote with Schiller had games copied from Flank Openings, and his Winning with the Nimzo Indian was a partially recycled effort, although in each case the previous books were out of print, so that does mitigate things somewhat.

I did draw GP once, which surely must be the 100th game!

D

Moves
21 Aug 11

Originally posted by djt95125
I have seen or read many chess books, some are excellent, many are almost useless. The 10 best ("best" in my subjective view. At least these are the books I've learned from the most) I've ever read are: 1) New Ideas in Chess by Larry Evans; 2) How to Reassess your Chess by J. Silman; 3) Grandmaster of Chess by Paul Keres; 4) Practical Chess Endings by Pau ...[text shortened]... sky Cup (commentaries by all participants, highly unusual but an excellent tournament book).
Great List!

Moves
21 Aug 11

Speaking of chess books, I was thinking about writing one. It will be called
"How to lose a won game".

I am really the utmost expert on this subject. It will be a best-seller.

CE

Moves
22 Aug 11

"The Inner Game" by Dominick Lawson is an excellent report on the Kasparov/Short WCC match. But this probably won't do much to help improve your game.

I consider everything in Kasparov's MGP as well as his Modern Chess series to be invaluable, but this material might be received as a bit dry for the typical short-attention-spanned casual chess player.

t

Moves
22 Aug 11

Originally posted by Cube Equity
"The Inner Game" by Dominick Lawson is an excellent report on the Kasparov/Short WCC match. But this probably won't do much to help improve your game.

I consider everything in Kasparov's MGP as well as his Modern Chess series to be invaluable, but this material might be received as a bit dry for the typical short-attention-spanned casual chess player.
I never even heard about any Kasparov books... I'm not surprised I merely have been wating. Next purchase!

H

Moves
22 Aug 11

Chess scandals by eb edmondson and m tal is a great read. All about the 1978 world championship with a bit of chess thrown in.

j

Moves
22 Aug 11

Masters of the Chessboard - Reti.
Fundamentals - Capablanca.
The Middlegame - Znosko-borovsky.
100 selected games - Botvinnik.
Art of Sacrifice - Speilmann.
Art of Attack - Vukovic(sp?).
Creative chess - Reinfeld.

Moves
23 Aug 11
1 edit

Moves
24 Aug 11

Emanuel Laskers Manual of Chess. Not only is there good chess instruction, but it makes a great read.

Horowitz' How to Win in the Chess Endings always boosts my play, and I used to read it before every tournament.

Any book about a tournament. The Tournament of New York in 1924 involved a clash of titans of the time (Lasker, Capablanca, Alekhine, etc.) at their peaks - most of them.
Also, the Second Piatagorsky Cup, where Spaasky narrowly beat out Fischer for first place in another tournament of titans.

B
Ol' Blue Eyes

Moves
29 Sep 11

Anyone venture into chess books on Kindle?

I am currently reading: http://www.amazon.com/Another-Chess-Problems-Rest-ebook/dp/B005PGNQUK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1317259503&sr=8-2

There are some other good ones I have read too.

I am learning, however, that the graphics are often lacking -- maybe the brand new Kindle they introduced today will be better! (I just need $199.00!!!!):'(

Moves
29 Sep 11

Originally posted by jonrothwell
Masters of the Chessboard - Reti.
Fundamentals - Capablanca.
The Middlegame - Znosko-borovsky.
100 selected games - Botvinnik.
Art of Sacrifice - Speilmann.
Art of Attack - Vukovic(sp?).
Creative chess - Reinfeld.
I've read them all and have to admit they did little for my improvement. I think books are good for giving you general ideas for what is possible in a game. Chpaters in books headed K side attack, weak pawn, weak square etc are good for a more solid understanding of the game and give sign post type instruction. Unfortunately the specifics of every position are unique and there is no book ever written that can help you decipher a complex position in one of your own OTB games. Practice practice practice i honestly think is the key.