30 Jan '12 01:23
    well that was a failure how do i get the game and annotations up
  3. .
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 04:343 edits
    Originally posted by hempster
    well that was a failure how do i get the game and annotations up
    See how you annotated this game:
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/annotation/annotationinteractive.php?annotationid=2105

have a look at the pgn for that game and use the same method when posting the game using the pgn in the forum.

Andrew

e.g.

If you "reply and quote" my response you should how this differs to your first post above.

P.S. Except the headers are mucked up [edit edit : now fixed]
  4. Standard memberhempster
    she'll be right mate
    WYBMADIITY
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 04:48
    thanks Andrew ..🙂
  5. Joined
    01 Dec '10
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 09:37
    Is it possible to post games with alternative lines usig the pgn tag?
  6. Standard memberhempster
    she'll be right mate
    WYBMADIITY
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 11:18
    as this game was a bit of fun so is the annotation ,i will en devour to improve this as i go.

7. Joined
    22 Aug '08
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 11:40
    as this game was a bit of fun so is the annotation ,i will en devour to improve this as i go.

[pgn]{this is a game between friends,you will see deliberate errors,tactical blunders and strategic mismanagement} 1. e4 {e4 is my preferred opening} e5 2. Ng1f3 Nb8c6 3. d4 Bf8b4 4. c3 {that's the opening part done.now for some random moves} Bb4d6 5. Bf1c4 Ng ...[text shortened]... Kg1f2 Re1e7 49. Kf2g3 {we decide to call it a draw and move on to the next game} 1/2-1/2[/pgn]
    Nice annotations, although I think you missed a chance early on after black played 9....h6

Note if black did play 12... Kg8 leading to:

you're in a very attacking position and 13.f4 seems to build up a very nice attack
  8. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 11:481 edit

[pgn]{this is a game between friends,you will see deliberate errors,tactical blunders and strategic mismanagement} 1. e4 {e4 is my preferred opening} e5 2. Ng1f3 Nb8c6 3. d4 Bf8b4 4. c3 {that's the opening part done.now for some random moves} Bb4d6 5. Bf1c4 Ng ...[text shortened]... Kg1f2 Re1e7 49. Kf2g3 {we decide to call it a draw and move on to the next game} 1/2-1/2[/pgn]
    You were lucky in this game as after 10.Nh3? (better was 11.Nf3 Rxf7 12.fxe5) your position was lost all the time and Black missed many opportunities to play better. Even in final position I don`t understand why Black agreed to draw.
  9. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 11:54
    Originally posted by VelvetEars
    Nice annotations, although I think you missed a chance early on after black played 9....h6

[pgn]
    [FEN "r1bq1r1k/pppp1Bp1/3b1n1p/n3p1N1/3PP3/2P5/PP3PPP/RNBQK2R w KQ - 0 10"] 1. Bg6 {here you played Nh3} hxg5 2. Bxg5 {Now the best move for black is Kg8 but if he doesn't see the threats in the air...} Nc4 3. Bxf6 Rxf6 {If Qxf6 or bxf6 it's mate in two} 4 ...[text shortened]... 0[/fen]
    you're in a very attacking position and 13.f4 seems to build up a very nice attack
    I guess it`s better to refuse sac with 10...Qe7, but I agree that 10.Bg6 seems to be the best.
  10. Standard memberhempster
    she'll be right mate
    WYBMADIITY
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 12:11
    Originally posted by VelvetEars

[pgn]
    [FEN "r1bq1r1k/pppp1Bp1/3b1n1p/n3p1N1/3PP3/2P5/PP3PPP/RNBQK2R w KQ - 0 10"] 1. Bg6 {here you played Nh3} hxg5 2. Bxg5 {Now the best move for black is Kg8 but if he doesn't see the threats in the air...} Nc4 3. Bxf6 Rxf6 {If Qxf6 or bxf6 it's mate in two} 4 ...[text shortened]... 0[/fen]
    howdy velvetears...yes i was but i was not trying to actually win this game as such..although i am not a great player i am helping craig with his game.so i make some deliberate mistakes
  11. e4
    Moves
    30 Jan '12 17:232 edits
    I could have guessed it was a buddy game. (it stemmed from a Buddy Thread).

I can only use what I see, though I often suspect when I'm looking at some
    of the games on here a bit of coaching has been going on.
    The clue is they are usually non-rated.

I'm not into playing weak moves as a way of helping a player.
    Bang them at every chance you get. It's the only way.
    Then go back and show them where they went wrong though the fact you
    have just hammered the daylights out of them should be good enough.

They have feel the burn.

I have heard others say I played a weak move to make the game more
    interesting. That is selfish clap-trap.
    Get who ever you are playing up to the same standard as you are then you
    will have interesting games forever.

No chances, no taking back moves, Hammer them.
    Try to do it as instructive as possible, remember you will be explaining to them
    after the game what you were up to. But you must whack them.
    They have to see themselves getting ripped to shreds.

I could tell this Craig all day about being careful when playing a combination.
    You must train yourself to look passed the combination, there is often a sting in the tail.

He will nod his head and say "yeah Yeah. I got it"

Look at the beautiful trap he walked into in Game 9009625
    (that game is still going on so no comments. Just admire it. A wonderful lesson
    there for the lad. He's learning.)

Let us go over the posted game.

Then here:

Black now saw White's only threat Qxb7 and reacted to it.

You do not react to players threats. They react to yours.

Get out of this 'defend first - attack if he lets me' mentality. Here we have a King
    just itching to get mated and Black shoves his Knight out of play to defend a poxy
    nothing to do with the game being played stupid b-pawn.

This move is worse than someone missing a mate in one.
    The player missed the mate because he did not see it.

Black saw the threat and decided that checkmate no longer wins games.
    It the first to lose their b-pawn losses.

This kind of timid play must be jumped on. If not the player get so used to
    defending he starts inventing threats against himself and making defending
    moves against phantom threats.

And finally. Here.

Black played 45...Re3 the game agreed drawn.

Won King and Pawns endings are the easiest to play.
    It can be reduced to simple counting.

45...Rg8
    forces off the Rooks. Black then plays d5 and attacks
    the White h-pawn with his King. The White King cannot
    stop the d-pawn and hold the h-pawn at the same time. 0-1.
  12. Standard memberhempster
    she'll be right mate
    WYBMADIITY
    Moves
    31 Jan '12 00:19
    ah well now that that is out of the way...🙂
    i don't know why the draw was offered(he was in a winning position) but i accepted it

GP in my trade and i have 2 trade certs.i find the soft approach helps and they are more willing to listen and learn.
    i could be like Gordon Ramsey (hells kitchen)but he is a tosser.
    yes i do jump on them if they constantly make the same mistake.

this is also true as a softball coach to a young team i have found that this approach is best.

when craig joined the site to play me i belted him in all games,thats when i started to help subtly in my softly softly approach he now gives me a run for my money and makes me think(although i think i still have the edge).it is up to him now how far he goes.

GP i take on-board what you say and try to learn from it . but i know i will never be a great chess player.but as long as i enjoy playing i will continue in my endevour to improve.

so on the teaching approach i will agree to differ.
    but on the game advice your knowledge is invaluable

Rex
  13. e4
    Moves
    31 Jan '12 01:37
    Hi Hemp.

Teaching/coaching.
    It what ever you are happy with. I think teachers are born. it's a vocation.
    You cannot learn or be shown how to teach. You either have it or you don't.

I'm not a teacher.
    I don't know how to read people and see what is the correct approach.
    Especially over the net where most people are just nicknames who love the game.

I just go the way I feel is right and they way I learned.
    I don't take prisoners. I comment how I play and think. No quarter given or taken.

I don't charge for advice or take money for coaching. Take it or leave it. It's free.
    If that Craig lad sees the notes and takes just one thing from them and it helps
    him win just one 'real' game in the future. Then I'm happy.

It's just an opinion but I would not feel too sure of myself if I won a game
    knowing my opponent had sliiped in a few weak moves to give me a chance.

What have I learned?
    Am I getting better?
    Has the work I've put into the game showing any benefit?
    I don't know, my opponent keeps giving me chances.

Some may and will disagree. It's only a game.

I've figured out why Gordon Ramsay is such a bad tempered twat.
    He is foreced to wear a silly hat and has a woman's job. 🙂
  14. Standard memberhempster
    she'll be right mate
    WYBMADIITY
    Moves
    31 Jan '12 02:57
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Hemp.

Teaching/coaching.
    It what ever you are happy with. I think teachers are born. it's a vocation.
    You cannot learn or be shown how to teach. You either have it or you don't.

I'm not a teacher.
    I don't know how to read people and see what is the correct approach.
    Especially over the net where most people are just nicknames who love th ...[text shortened]... bad tempered twat.
    He is foreced to wear a silly hat and has a woman's job. 🙂
    now now ...i wear those silly hats and have a womens job as you call it ..lol as it stands but it is changing most chef's are men.
    also as a pastry chef(while i was doing my apprenticeship) i had to wear a sillier hat.
    i then moved on to do my app as a chef .

so not only can i cook a damn fine meal ,i can make hot pies,pasties,cakes buns and sausage rolls.

i dont tell craig i am making weak moves i just make them and see how he responds.then make suggestions on where he could work on his game.(mind you i dont know if he takes any notice or not)
    but i do appreciate everyones input as it helps me with my weak spots.
    and i have a lot of them
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    31 Jan '12 21:56
    i could be like Gordon Ramsey (hells kitchen)but he is a tosser.
    Ah, well, yes, he is. But do you know why? Not because he swears at people who make stupid mistakes, rants when they do something very dangerous, and generally runs a hot kitchen. All chefs do that, if they want to get anywhere in the cheffing business. You have to. You're working with fire and large knives. A professional kitchen is a dangerous environment and souses who don't understand that need to go back to washing plates.
    No, Ramsay is a tosser because he swears at people when they don't deserve it. He is also a tosser because he demands things from his subordinates that they can't be expected to know and drives them harder than they deserve to be and harder than himself.

Concerning chess, you can make the same distinction. There is a difference between playing intentionally bad moves in the hope that this will teach your opponent something, and not pulling his skin over his ears with your sharp opening preparation.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree