1. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 22:15
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardhistory.php?gameid=1987879

I think the rook sac was the best move but what do i know. Anyone want to play a game?
  2. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 23:07
    Originally posted by Menso

I think the rook sac was the best move but what do i know. Anyone want to play a game?
    Your rook 'sac' was not a sac.
  3. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 23:20
    Originally posted by demonseed
    Your rook 'sac' was not a sac.
    for us termanology retards (i mean me)
    what is a rook sac?
  4. London
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 23:21

Nice slaughter.
  5. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '06 23:36
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    for us termanology retards (i mean me)
    what is a rook sac?
    A rook sacrifice, meaning to give up the piece (in this case a rook) for some other form of compensation. In this case it is not a sacrifice since the rook could not be captured without the queen being gained. In short, how can it be a sacrifice when you will gain material?

A genuine sacrifice will not lead to a forced gain in material but some other form of compensation, such as: development; gaining an outpost; space; open lines and/or diagonals; exposing a king etc. Often you will gain more than one of these forms of compensarion with a sacrifice.
  6. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '06 00:33
    Thanks for bursting my bubble. =( , haha jk. Really though, i was just wanting another perspective on that move. I thought it was the best available move, but who am i.
  7. Joined
    17 Dec '04
    Moves
    01 Jul '06 01:12
    Good move.
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Jul '06 01:13
    Originally posted by hahahaaaa
    Good move.
    Game 1987879
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Jul '06 01:16
    Thanks for bursting my bubble. =( , haha jk. Really though, i was just wanting another perspective on that move. I thought it was the best available move, but who am i.
    It was the best available move (probably) but it still isn't a sacrifice, it's a "discovered check" that allows you to gain material.
  10. Joined
    05 Apr '06
    Moves
    01 Jul '06 10:19
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    It was the best available move (probably) but it still isn't a sacrifice, it's a "discovered check" that allows you to gain material.
    I 've seen a term "fake sacrifice" often used - if the opponent takes the offered piece he is going to lose at least the same amount of material in all variations. (I find that many times I've tried to pull a fake sacrifice it turns into a real one when my opponent declines it in a way I had not thought of...)

- bahus
  11. Joined
    29 Jun '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '06 11:27
    Originally posted by bahus
    [b]I 've seen a term "fake sacrifice" often used - if the opponent takes the offered piece he is going to lose at least the same amount of material in all variations.
    In the English versions of his books, Euve used the term 'sham sacrifice' for this type of move. Personally I like the term investment; you know you are going to get back more than you put in.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Jul '06 11:31
    Originally posted by Essex 3
    In the English versions of his books, Euve used the term 'sham sacrifice' for this type of move. Personally I like the term investment; you know you are going to get back more than you put in.
    The term pseudo-sacrifice is also used.
  13. London
    Moves
    01 Jul '06 11:39
    It's a temporary sacrifice, which is still a sacrifice. Btw, why does everyone care so much about exact usage of this particular term? This 'debate' seems to come up again and again in the forum, and imo is a waste of time that distracts from more interesting chessy things in the threads.
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    01 Jul '06 13:43
    Originally posted by TommyC
    Btw, why does everyone care so much about exact usage of this particular term? This 'debate' seems to come up again and again in the forum, and imo is a waste of time that distracts from more interesting chessy things in the threads.
    chess players being anally retentive nitpicks? that can't really come as a surprise. 🙂
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 Jul '06 06:14
    Originally posted by bahus
    I 've seen a term "fake sacrifice" often used - if the opponent takes the offered piece he is going to lose at least the same amount of material in all variations. (I find that many times I've tried to pull a fake sacrifice it turns into a real one when my opponent declines it in a way I had not thought of...)

- bahus
    The term "fake sacrifice" is for scrubs. Don't use it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree