1. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Mar '06 20:19
    I decided to play a high rated opponet, and take my time at each move, (Instead of moving the instant I see the bourd) I tried hard, and long on each move, and still got smothered to death. Could somone look at the game real quick and tell me what I need to work on? and what moves I did wrong? how was my opening? how was my middle game? Im wanting to know what area I should improve on.

Game ID: 1864099

Sorry I forget how to make that as a link 🙁
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    15 Mar '06 20:261 edit
  3. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Mar '06 20:46
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Game 1864099

D
    Thankyou!!
  4. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    15 Mar '06 20:511 edit
    Looking _quick_, I wonder why you never played Rad1... could've done it at move 19 or so. His pawn is backward and it seems to be a weak point.. (Except that he has a c-pawn and not a b-pawn, which makes it strong since d-pawn can advance..)

You lose the centre and he gets a free pawn there, which looks bad to me.

What to train? Beats me.

And btw, I don't have a high rating and I have no idea what I'm talking about, so don't listen to me =D
  5. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    15 Mar '06 21:071 edit
    Originally posted by flyUnity
    Thankyou!!
    Very briefly,

I wouldn't play 9. Bxc6. It brings another one of his pawns into the center, which strengthens his position. Also, the bishop could have developed nicely onto the a2-g8 diagonal, bearing straight down on where the king is (presumably) going to be after castling.

I don't like 10. Ba3, cos it moves to an unprotected square, and can easily be 1 part of a double threat from your opponent.

15. Rf1e1 wasn't great, I think. Usually much better to try to develop your rooks onto an open file (none of your pawns), or a file which you anticipate you'll be able to open.

19. Rd1 needed to be played before you went on the attack with the bishop. I also think you miscalculated by playing the 19. Ba3, which allowed him the pawn push where he came out better positionally, imo.

In the endgame, his threat of back rank mate really hurt you. I'm not going to go into any deep analysis of the endgame as it would take ages.

[EDIT] Oh, I thought you were a 1000 player.

D
  6. Joined
    20 Dec '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '06 21:07
    I havent looked through the game but an important question is this:

What was your plan? In the middlegame what were you trying to achieve?

By this I dont mean anything vague like "checkmate the enemy king" but rather specifics such as attack his weak backward pawn with moves Knight there or Bishop here.

If you cant honestly say that you had a plan then THATS where you went wrong.

Aimless middlegame wandering has lost far more games than bad openings and poor endgames.
  7. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Mar '06 21:31
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Very briefly,

I wouldn't play 9. Bxc6. It brings another one of his pawns into the center, which strengthens his position. Also, the bishop could have developed nicely onto the a2-g8 diagonal, bearing straight down on where the king is (presumably) going to be after castling.

I don't like 10. Ba3, cos it moves to an unprotected square, and can easil ...[text shortened]... f the endgame as it would take ages.

[EDIT] Oh, I thought you were a 1000 player.

D
    I messed up on 19, I didnt notice that his queen was protecting his bishop, and I did that move so he wouldnt advance his d pawn

I know that back rank CM threat was there, but I thought I had him in a pretty bad threat too. On moves 24, 25, and 26. I was wanting to take rook on d4 with queen, but he managed out of it.

Thanks for your help, I'll try and remember your points on my future games
  8. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Mar '06 21:35
    Originally posted by Tengu
    I havent looked through the game but an important question is this:

What was your plan? In the middlegame what were you trying to achieve?

By this I dont mean anything vague like "checkmate the enemy king" but rather specifics such as attack his weak backward pawn with moves Knight there or Bishop here.

If you cant honestly say that you had a plan the ...[text shortened]...

Aimless middlegame wandering has lost far more games than bad openings and poor endgames.
    Oh I had a plan, I usually have several plans, its just that my plans are always stopped, because they see my plans too, Im no good at finding them secret plans
  9. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 00:39
    I didn't put any deep thought into this so expect the odd error....but here goes....

9.Bxc6 ---This allowed Bxc6 - allowing black to gain a stronger grasp on the centre....

26. a3 --- I was about to point out that this practically gives black free pawns ....that is until I spotted Qxd4....so It wasn't a huge blunder like i first thought....

29. Re3?? ....I think h3 [for example] was better....this way you can threaten the e4 pawn and you can defend the Knight with Rc2

32. Na2.......It doesn't leave you with many options....i prefer Ne4 or even Nb1....After move 35 You can see why it was an error....

Overall I think you played pretty well....You didn't seem to fall for many of Black tricks...[I.e 34. Qxd2 Nf3+!!!]
  10. Joined
    20 Sep '02
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 01:10
    I am assuming you know this is the Sicilian opening and he plays an early 5..e5 which is slightly dubious because it gives him a backward d pawn and instead of the retreat 6. Nf3 you could have continued to develop your pieces by Bb5+ forcing either 7..Nbd7 (or Bd7) 8. Bxd7+ and then 9. Nf5.
  11. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 01:19
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    I didn't put any deep thought into this so expect the odd error....but here goes....

9.Bxc6 ---This allowed Bxc6 - allowing black to gain a stronger grasp on the centre....

26. a3 --- I was about to point out that this practically gives black free pawns ....that is until I spotted Qxd4....so It wasn't a huge blunder like i first thought....

29. R ...[text shortened]... yed pretty well....You didn't seem to fall for many of Black tricks...[I.e 34. Qxd2 Nf3+!!!]
    .Bxc6 ---This allowed Bxc6 - allowing black to gain a stronger grasp on the centre....

This was a bad move on my part

I was actually hoping he would take my free pawn, but it didnt happen 🙁

29. Re3?? ....I think h3 [for example] was better....this way you can threaten the e4 pawn and you can defend the Knight with Rc2

I did Re3 to stop his advancing pawn, and because I thought he may double attack my knight and pin it

32. Na2.......It doesn't leave you with many options....i prefer Ne4 or even Nb1....After move 35 You can see why it was an error....

Ok I think Im missing somthing here, you say you wouldve played Ne4? Isnt that giving the knight away? If I take back he got me CM. My idea of Na2 was that I could move rook to c1 and cause him alot of trouble, (that was untill he moved his knight and almost forking my queen on 34)

Thanks for looking at the game, Im learning somthing all the time
  12. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 01:23
    Originally posted by micarr
    I am assuming you know this is the Sicilian opening and he plays an early 5..e5 which is slightly dubious because it gives him a backward d pawn and instead of the retreat 6. Nf3 you could have continued to develop your pieces by Bb5+ forcing either 7..Nbd7 (or Bd7) 8. Bxd7+ and then 9. Nf5.
    oh wow, Thats the kind of moves I was looking for.
  13. Joined
    17 Dec '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 01:522 edits
    I believe on move 24 instead of Qf3, I would have played Ne4. I think it would have given you better chances, and may have helped with that annoying pawn.
  14. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 02:15

"I was actually hoping he would take my free pawn, but it didnt happen"

The only reason [I found] that would make taking either of those pawns a very Bad error is because of a Queen sac at D4....if it wasn't for that, Black could have been given a bunch of free pawns....

"I did Re3 to stop his advancing pawn, and because I thought he may double attack my knight and pin it"

by move 28 the only place that pawn can go is to e3- which will simply lead in capture....

h3 on the other hand - prevents the back rank mates --- which means Nxe4 becomes vaiable...

I.e .... h3 a5 [ "a5" is a pretty crap move i've just chose it for the purposes of demonstration...] Nxe4 Nxe4 Rxe4 Rxe4 Qc8+ Qd8 Qxd8 Rxd8 Rxe4.....and after all this white is better....

And if after h3 "Rc8" things become tricky for white

Here's the best I found....i'd imagine computers would find flaws in this....

But none the less -

h3 Rc8 Rc2 Qc6 Nd5 Qxc2 Ne7+ Kh8 Nxc8 Qxc1 Rxc1

"Ok I think Im missing somthing here, you say you wouldve played Ne4? Isnt that giving the knight away? If I take back he got me CM. My idea of Na2 was that I could move rook to c1 and cause him alot of trouble, (that was untill he moved his knight and almost forking my queen on 34)"

yes sorry you are correct....I over-looked something....

Ne4 Nxe4 Rxe4 Qc1+ Qe1 d2.........its after this i went wrong.... White won't be able to play Re8+ Rxe8 Qxe8# because the queen is pinned....

But i Still think Nb1 is better than Na4

Thanks for looking at the game, Im learning somthing all the time
  15. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Mar '06 02:37
    Originally posted by hahahaaaa
    I believe on move 24 instead of Qf3, I would have played Ne4. I think it would have given you better chances, and may have helped with that annoying pawn.
    24 Ne4 wouldve been a dead give away. I cant see how it can help

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree