1. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 20:41
    Just completed my set of Kasparov's books by purchasing volume II from USCF for twelve bucks on sale. Fascinated by the game between Botvinnik and Fischer at the 1962 Olympiad. Kasparov gives the background of Botvinnik--a great teacher but a not very likeable person, staunch communist (unlike Kasparov himself), someone who had already declared that Fischer could never be world champion because he lacked "character." Versus the maniacally anti-communist, anti-Russian, and just plain maniac Fischer. This game is also covered in Fischer's My 60 Memorable Games. Kasparov adds Botvinnik's commentary as the game progresses and his own analysis. Fischer gains what he thinks is an unsuperable advantage from his Grunfeld, but Botvinnik fights on, analyzes into the night (with the help of a Russian team) until he reaches a paradoxical draw from the endgame. Crushed by his inability to wrest the win from his communist enemy, Fischer walks away with tears in his eyes. This isn't just chess, it's high drama and great entertainment. This series of books and chess literature is unrivalled by anything written on the subject. I can't think of anything else like it. Full of flaws and errors and of course not entirely written by the great K, these volumes offer the best history of chess in any language. Kudos to K.
  2. Joined
    20 Apr '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 23:17
    nice review, now i want to read them. time to go to the bookstore i guess.
  3. London
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 00:26
    On the subject of predecessors, Kramnik gave an interesting interview here: http://www.kramnik.com/eng/interviews/getinterview.aspx?id=61
  4. Joined
    20 Apr '06
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 02:02
    read it, pretty interesting, now ill think of those players styles a little differently.
  5. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 14:38
    Originally posted by TommyC
    On the subject of predecessors, Kramnik gave an interesting interview here: http://www.kramnik.com/eng/interviews/getinterview.aspx?id=61
    Very interesting, thanks for the link.
  6. London
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 14:40
    Originally posted by TheDarkKnight
    read it, pretty interesting, now ill think of those players styles a little differently.
    I agree. Also Kramnik tends to link positional play with supersharp calculation of (often little) tactical lines, something I'd never thought of before, but which makes a lot of sense. His unfussed view of Botvinnik and identification of Karpov's main weakness as strategic (!) were also of particular surprise to me.
  7. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 15:09
    Oh, by the way, speaking of errors. My book (vol 2 Great Predecessors) has the first move of the Botvinnik-Fischer game wrong. In my edition it has Botvinnik playing e4 instead of c4, which makes more sense cause it is a Grunfeld. But aside from the set having hundreds of errors, it still is a fantastic achievement and anybody who is interested in the development of chess must have it! Also, i understand K is revising it for a new edition. Probably he will clear up all these annoying errors.
  8. Orlando, Florida
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 17:551 edit
    Originally posted by TommyC
    Thanks for the link!!

EDIT: rec'd
  9. London
    Moves
    08 Jun '06 21:55
    Originally posted by point
    Thanks for the link!!

EDIT: rec'd
    Welcome.

I've not read Kasparov's books, but from those who have I would be interested to know whether his opinions tally with Kramnik's - anyone?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree