1. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    08 Oct '11 11:05
    Originally posted by WanderingKing
    I don't understand. What are the five things I'm right in?

I didn't get my qualifications at Harvard. I'll delete the profile.
    The things in which you are right in:

1. Hasn't kopatov's credibility gone all the way down to zero already?
    2. I'm quite new here
    3. and I know little about chess,
    4. but I do know a troll when I see one.
    5. I cannot understand why people keep replying to his silly insults.

Thats a full score for a single post. Congratulations.
  2. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    08 Oct '11 11:29
    Originally posted by tharkesh
    The things in which you are right in:

1. Hasn't kopatov's credibility gone all the way down to zero already?
    2. I'm quite new here
    3. and I know little about chess,
    4. but I do know a troll when I see one.
    5. I cannot understand why people keep replying to his silly insults.

Thats a full score for a single post. Congratulations.
    Oh. Thanks. 🙂
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    08 Oct '11 23:53
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Weakness? Your eye is not keen it is black who is worse on the king side it only makes sense to open things up over there... but here you go

16.g4 Rf8 {where else?} 17.Bh6 Rg8 18.Nfg5 Bxg5 {forced otherwise its mate or the rook is lost} 19.Nxg5 Qf6 {19...Qe7 20.Qf3} 20.b4 {to keep the knight out of c5}

20.Ne4 is also a move 20...Qe7 21.Qf3 followed b ...[text shortened]... o be used at a more opportune moment.

16.g4! Rf8 17.Nfg5 Bxg5 {this seems forced} 18.Nxg5 Ng7
    After 17. Nfg5 I think the e6 square is critical, so something like 17. ... Nc7 looks more in the spirit of the position.

White could temporarily sac a rook on c7 for the knight and then get it back with the subsequent fork on e6, but that may not be best- I'm just pointing it out because it looks neat!

Objectively I suppose white has a slight edge, but I'd be comfortable playing black.
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 04:33
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    After 17. Nfg5 I think the e6 square is critical, so something like 17. ... Nc7 looks more in the spirit of the position.

White could temporarily sac a rook on c7 for the knight and then get it back with the subsequent fork on e6, but that may not be best- I'm just pointing it out because it looks neat!

Objectively I suppose white has a slight edge, but I'd be comfortable playing black.
    I'd probably sac the rook on c7 and leave the knight on e6.
  5. Pities the fool
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 08:24
    Originally posted by WanderingKing
    I don't understand. What are the five things I'm right in?

I didn't get my qualifications at Harvard. I'll delete the profile.
    LULZ! Wanderking is a 1200 troll with a fake Harvard profile. That is even more tasty than the timeout I have just collected. 😀
  6. Pities the fool
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 08:54
    Originally posted by Fat Lady

I think 10. ... f5 was premature and after he took it I regretted it and wished I'd played 10. ... g6 instead with the intenting of recapturing on f5 with a pawn.

I thought 16. g4 was an excellent move. It was one I had been scared of before he castled, which is why I didn't play h6 earlier to prevent a knight coming to g5.

When he played g4 _afte ...[text shortened]... force his f-pawn home then it was winning, if not then I thought I had a whiff of a chance.
    10 ..f5 was most certainly premature. An interesting position would have arisen after 31. Nf6+ Bxf6 32. Qxf6 Qxf6 33. gxf6

7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 11:13
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    I'd probably sac the rook on c7 and leave the knight on e6.
    I think leaving the knight on e6 is definitely worth considering.

Sometimes winning the exchange isn't really "winning" so much as it is "giving" your opponent a good exchange sacrifice!

The deeper question is "What is worth more, black's rook on f8 or white's knight on e6?". You can definitely make a case for the knight, as it is like an octopus in the center of the board.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 20:36
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I think leaving the knight on e6 is definitely worth considering.

Sometimes winning the exchange isn't really "winning" so much as it is "giving" your opponent a good exchange sacrifice!

The deeper question is "What is worth more, black's rook on f8 or white's knight on e6?". You can definitely make a case for the knight, as it is like an octopus in the center of the board.
    But also the knight on e6 and then putting the queen on b5 opens a lot of perpetual possibilities for white so that black has to play "best" moves and white still may be able to perpetual even if black does plays best moves and white doesn't... Idk I just know I see a lot of perpetual patterns that can arise in the position.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree