Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member Diet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    05 Feb '07 16:36
    Odder than c4, g4, g3, Nf3 + f4 put together.

    I've decided to use two tournaments to try a move that has been quashed years ago.

    Yes in two tournaments I will play.

    1. e4??

    Each crushing humiliation will be put here as warning against ever playing this terrible move.
  2. 05 Feb '07 16:51
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Odder than c4, g4, g3, Nf3 + f4 put together.

    I've decided to use two tournaments to try a move that has been quashed years ago.

    Yes in two tournaments I will play.

    1. e4??

    Each crushing humiliation will be put here as warning against ever playing this terrible move.
    ur really desparate for attention, aren't you?
  3. Standard member Diet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    05 Feb '07 16:56
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    ur really desparate for attention, aren't you?
    You're really desperate for English lessons, aren't you?
  4. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    05 Feb '07 17:28 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Odder than c4, g4, g3, Nf3 + f4 put together.

    I've decided to use two tournaments to try a move that has been quashed years ago.

    Yes in two tournaments I will play.

    1. e4??

    Each crushing humiliation will be put here as warning against ever playing this terrible move.
    1. g4!! Always play it, my friend

    Results so far P 22, W21 D1 L0

    Especially watch Game 3119448 for a true test of its soundness.

    My opponent in Game 3085150 might also feel he can beat it as might Game 3091829 but they cannot. They will be defeated.
  5. Standard member Diet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    05 Feb '07 17:38 / 1 edit
    Game 3127021

    My first finished game playing 1. e4

    Dragon Fire

    Here's my attempt at g4, well my most advanced one!

    Game 3124576
  6. 05 Feb '07 19:20
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    1. g4!! [b]Always play it, my friend

    Results so far P 22, W21 D1 L0

    Especially watch Game 3119448 for a true test of its soundness.

    My opponent in Game 3085150 might also feel he can beat it as might Game 3091829 but they cannot. They will be defeated.[/b]
    Being the opponent in Game 3085150 I am confident I will inflict the first defeat on our esteemed friend Dragon Fire and his amazing opening!!!

    Watch this space!
  7. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    05 Feb '07 22:26 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by saffa73
    Being the opponent in Game 3085150 I am confident I will inflict the first defeat on our esteemed friend Dragon Fire and his amazing opening!!!

    Watch this space!
    saffa73 has suffered an amazing pawn storm in Game 3085150. He thinks, on move 33, that he has won 2 pawns and that my king is in a perilous position but he is wrong - my king is safe and the pawns are a temporary loan.
  8. 05 Feb '07 23:06
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Odder than c4, g4, g3, Nf3 + f4 put together.

    I've decided to use two tournaments to try a move that has been quashed years ago.

    Yes in two tournaments I will play.

    1. e4??

    Each crushing humiliation will be put here as warning against ever playing this terrible move.
    You've got to be kidding, though just for some fun I've actually started games with the move 1.d4?!

    So you don't have to search here they are - (in progress - no comments!)

    Game 3128252
    Game 3126320

    The game against Jusuh actually has some logic to it - he plays the Pirc against 1.e4 and I didn't feel like playing that.
  9. Standard member Diet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    05 Feb '07 23:10
    They're both inferior opponents.

    Not a true test of d4?!
  10. 05 Feb '07 23:16
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    They're both inferior opponents.

    Not a true test of d4?!
    Jusuh is a 2000 rated OTB player - it's a true test.
  11. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    05 Feb '07 23:23 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    You've got to be kidding, though just for some fun I've actually started games with the move 1.d4?!

    So you don't have to search here they are - (in progress - no comments!)

    Game 3128252
    Game 3126320

    The game against Jusuh actually has some logic to it - he plays the Pirc against 1.e4 and I didn't feel like playing that.
    What an error.

    1. d4 .. Nf6;
    2. c4 .. g6??

    After 2. ... c5!! white is lost.
  12. 05 Feb '07 23:26
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    What an error.

    1. d4 .. Nf6;
    2. c4 .. g6??

    After 2. c5!! black is lost.
  13. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    05 Feb '07 23:31
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Correction "White is lost" - original post amended.

    Seriously, try the Benoni - I get good results as black against some strong players although I have had the occasional humiliating defeat.
  14. 05 Feb '07 23:32
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Correction "White is lost" - original post amended.

    Seriously, try the Benoni - I get good results as black against some strong players although I have had the occasional humiliating defeat.
    I sometimes use the Benko Gambit.
  15. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    05 Feb '07 23:45
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I sometimes use the Benko Gambit.
    I have never played the Benko Gambit so have no views on it.

    My opening reportoire is somewhat restricted as I prefer to focus on quality rather than quantity (of openings). I think you need to focus on the openings you like and try to excel at them. If they don't work for you dump them and find something better (for you).

    So (for example) I hopefully know the Grob better than most people here (even players rated 300 points above me) as I have read up and played it far more than them. Unfortunately the opening can tend to create weaknesses so if you don't come out of it better you are likely to lose (against the strong opponents).

    The downside of excelling at a few is that some openings you have not studied can catch you out. For example I was slaughtered early on by a player rated 300 points below (my current rating) in an Evans Gambit. That is an opening I will now avoid.