1. Standard memberRaven69
    Different
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 00:27
    Originally posted by z00t
    No that's actually today, just a few hours ago.
    It says "Joined : 01 Apr '07"
  2. USA
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 02:04
    Originally posted by chessloser66
    i finally figured out what i want to be in life. i want to be a rated chess master. not even a grand master, just a regular, everyday, plain old master. thing is, i'm, old (38, which isn't old, but then again, when you have 19 year old grand masters....), which doesn't really make sense to me. if i wanted to be a UFC champion, or win the Tour de Fr ...[text shortened]... it's at: chessloser.wordpress.com.

laugh and jeer all you want, i think it's possible.
    Good luck! I know it is a lofty goal, but it you work at it, I'm sure you can do it. I also want to become a master one day. I'm far from it (1483) but I'm young and hard working. See you on the other side of 2200!
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 02:15
    Originally posted by chessloser66
    ...i should be able to learn and figure crap out enough to be decent enough to attain the rating of chess master.
    I too want to learn and figure crap out.😀
  4. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 12:05
    Originally posted by RabbitCold
    I would respect an OTB master more than a CC master. For this reason, computers. Everyone can set their shredder or fritz and look at moves, or if they see a new move they can get a book and look it up to find the best response.
    Before anybody ever heard of a computer CC players got no respect. A 1500 with an engine will not beat a master with an engine so to compete at the highest levels (where they all use engines to check their analysis) you need to be at least a master yourself. I know one guy who never got beyond 1450 OTB in his life and he’s been using engines in CC since they came out (he told me so). Even so his CC rating never topped 2100.
  5. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 12:50
    Just before I graduated from high school, I made a bet with the number 2 player at our club $5 to whoever becomes a USCF expert first... I then went to a college without a club and he joined the Army... 8 years latter I'm finally back on track but he has yet to play a rated game since high school...

Anyway, I think that's a worthy goal, just don't let it ruin your social life.
  6. Big D
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 13:49
    He would be far better off setting chess aside and instead concentrate on getting a job, a girlfriend, a house and a dog.
  7. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 14:41
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    He would be far better off setting chess aside and instead concentrate on getting a job, a girlfriend, a house and a dog.
    How do you konw he doesn't have those yet?
  8. Joined
    11 Sep '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 14:44
    Originally posted by LennyBruce
    How old were you when you started playing chess?

Being an OTB master is akin to being really good at anything else, the later in life you start, the harder it gets to excell. Almost all masters started playing chess in their early teens or before, and there are very few exceptions.
    Breaking 2200 may be a door that has closed for you. I've known ...[text shortened]... ople that have played chess all their lives but couldn't break 1600.
    But good luck to you.
    This is true - it'll be a tough goal to reach, especially if you can't devote yourself to it completely. I'm 25, think I study chess relatively passionately compared to most, and currently am 1715 USCF...my lifetime goal, at least for now, is to become an expert. Master would be great, but 2200 is looking very, very far away right about now. 2000 still seems in the realm of possibility if I work at it, but I don't have the time or energy to spend to become a master, as far as I can see.
  9. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 16:36
    Originally posted by OrangeKing
    This is true - it'll be a tough goal to reach, especially if you can't devote yourself to it completely. I'm 25, think I study chess relatively passionately compared to most, and currently am 1715 USCF...my lifetime goal, at least for now, is to become an expert. Master would be great, but 2200 is looking very, very far away right about now. 2000 still se ...[text shortened]... at it, but I don't have the time or energy to spend to become a master, as far as I can see.
    You have it about right. I was in my late 20’s when I decided master was within reach. I eventually hit 2095 but came to the conclusion it was taking more effort than I wanted to devote to it. So I started playing just for fun (and lost points a lot faster than I gained them!). Eventually quit for 12-15 years. Right now I have no desire whatsoever to play OTB. I had a friend rated 1700 who became a master then quit…told me it was too much work…and hasn’t played in 25 years. The closer you get to the magic 2200 the harder it gets.
  10. washington
    Moves
    03 Apr '07 16:41
    my goal is at least 1800 but if i make it to 1900 i'm going for international master. no need to stop. i really want to reach it and i think i can :-)
  11. Big D
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 15:31
    Originally posted by zebano
    How do you konw he doesn't have those yet?
    Because he's talking about becoming a chess master. Geez, cut your head in on the deal: only kids and misanthropes speak of such things.
  12. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    04 Apr '07 19:01
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    Because he's talking about becoming a chess master. Geez, cut your head in on the deal: only kids and misanthropes speak of such things.
    and women don't play chess 🙄
  13. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 16:46
    Originally posted by wormwood
    no doubt there will be internet chess titles sooner or later. it's just another venue, only far more practical one compared to traditional otb. I've played exactly 4 games on a real board in my whole life, and I suspect many, if not most, of the new breed of chessoholics are the same.

btw, what was the name of that GM who earned his title in his sixties, or something like that?
    I don't know about a player becoming a GM in his sixties, but I believe that Rolf Wetzell was in his late fifties or early sixties when he became a master. He wrote a book called "Chess Master at Any Age."
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    05 Apr '07 17:41
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    I don't know about a player becoming a GM in his sixties, but I believe that Rolf Wetzell was in his late fifties or early sixties when he became a master. He wrote a book called "Chess Master at Any Age."
    that sort of sounds familiar, maybe it was him I was thinking about...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree