1. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 09:23
    Hello

I had been very active on internet chess play for the last few weeks due to which I think my over the board game has been affected. I used to win games from a friend of mine but now i make foolish mistakes and dont know what's wrong with me. There are no chess clubs nor any place where tournaments are held, If I play chess with myself(Me on bothsides) then will that be any better?

Thank You
  2. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 09:35
    Originally posted by Khan
    Hello

I had been very active on internet chess play for the last few weeks due to which I think my over the board game has been affected. I used to win games from a friend of mine but now i make foolish mistakes and dont know what's wrong with me. There are no chess clubs nor any place where tournaments are held, If I play chess with myself(Me on bothsides) then will that be any better?

Thank You
    I run a G/90+5 team league online. The only condition is that you have to be a (full) member of the playchess server to enter. Most of the people who enter are club players so you could expect some good games 🙂
  3. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 09:43
    Iv tried playing against myself, I did expect most games to end in draws, but because im crap at chess I made mistakes which I didnt see at the time but became apparent later on in the game making most games won or lost. As for learning it helps a little but is very boring and not really giving yourself a wide range of chess experience/input of new ideas from outside your norm.
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 15:14
    Hello

Thank You
    Play online if you have to but use slower time controls. 30 minutes each is ideal but even 15 minutes each is better then blitz chess.

Moving to quick leads to blunder and when you play blitz you get into the habit of moving to quick and thus you play poorly in OTB.
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 15:30
    Hello

Thank You
    I disagree with you that RHP makes OTB play worse see Thread 53980.

However if you are playing blitz on-line then stop. Take as much time thinking about your moves as you would OTB and use opening books to facilitate improvement here.
  6. Joined
    13 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 16:181 edit
    Hello

Thank You
    It appears as if you are addicted to bullet chess and this has completely ruined your game.

See http://beta.uschess.org/frontend/askGM_24_22.php from US GM Benjamin.
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 16:32
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    I disagree with you that RHP makes OTB play worse see Thread 53980.

However if you are playing blitz on-line then stop. Take as much time thinking about your moves as you would OTB and use opening books to facilitate improvement here.
    Depends how you play on Rhp though.

Are you blitz out the moves?

Are you continuoulsy using the analysis board and not your brain?

All these are bad things about Rhp.

You gotta use it properly for it to help you improve at OTB.
  8. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 19:00
    By that I meant i was very active on RHP but not OTB so I think this is why it created problems when I switched back to OTB games and secondly I think i had been very dependent upon the analyze board so to confirm moves. Anyhow I think I played really nice with my brother today and my brother said that he would play atleast 2 games OTB daily with me. Can anyone tell me how can i find mine and my brother's rating OTB.

Thanks
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    13 Oct '06 22:16
    By that I meant i was very active on RHP but not OTB so I think this is why it created problems when I switched back to OTB games and secondly I think i had been very dependent upon the analyze board so to confirm moves. Anyhow I think I played really nice with my brother today and my brother said that he would play atleast 2 games OTB daily with me. Can anyone tell me how can i find mine and my brother's rating OTB.

Thanks
    No, join a chess club and find out.

You can't compared any online ratings with OTB ratings. You just can't.
  10. Joined
    28 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '06 00:052 edits
    But there aren't any clubs around me so I dont know If that would be possible for me. If anyone tell me a method of calculating OTB ratings that would be nice if possible.

Thank you
  11. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    14 Oct '06 02:21
    But there aren't any clubs around me so I dont know If that would be possible for me. If anyone tell me a method of calculating OTB ratings that would be nice if possible.

Thank you
    Otb rating = Rhp +/- 400 points.

That's as close as you can get and still be right.
  12. back in business
    Moves
    14 Oct '06 04:17
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Otb rating = Rhp +/- 400 points.

That's as close as you can get and still be right.
    my rhp rating: 1540
    otb rating: 1990

difference: 450 points
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '06 04:49
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    my rhp rating: 1540
    otb rating: 1990

difference: 450 points
    Well it WAS 1570 - and you didn't peak. You obviously know this, so stop being a b**ch.
  14. back in business
    Moves
    14 Oct '06 05:22
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Well it WAS 1570 - and you didn't peak. You obviously know this, so stop being a b**ch.
    right...
  15. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '06 05:23
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    right...
    Ok? Not a very creative response, but ok....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree