1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 18:53
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    Rec'd

This is just the right material for a rec!

Here's some chess!

[pgn]1.e4 e5[/pgn]
    Well played; Magnus must be soooooooooooooooooooo jealous.
  2. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 18:59
    I am by no means a chess expert, neither am I a chess forum social dynamics expert, but I can foresee that this is going to be one lenghty thread !! wuhuuuuuuu !
  3. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 19:31
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    I am by no means a chess expert, neither am I a chess forum social dynamics expert, but I can foresee that this thread will be gone by morning !! wuhuuuuuuu !
    Fixed
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 19:34
    Chess players are by a rule:

An arrogant and unloving group of people. A chess player who is a kind person is the exception, not the rule.
  5. Joined
    24 Jun '10
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 20:56
    I've been real sick for the past 2 weeks and have been struggling to stay afloat.
    Kind of in the same situation.

I've been taking vacation here and there, making stupid moves occasionally. My
    vacation time's almost used up... It makes me nervous. I would be devastated if I
    let my clan down (playing in league)... I feel like I'm morally obligated to continue
    if I'm at all capable. Honor and such.

I have to say I feel like you made the wrong decision with the mass resigning.
    If it were just open invites, or a tournament, it would be fine. But letting your clan
    down is not right. If there's no honor is chess...

You only recently renewed your subscription. You probably had vacation left... Such
    a rash decision I think you're bound to regret. Especially if you find yourself
    wanting "back in the game" by the end of the week.

And I've got to agree with Erekose... You handled this poorly. Taking the
    time/energy to defend yourself like this doesn't really seem consistent with
    "burning out". Probably better to "fade away" in this case.

I wish you the best though. I think you're an intelligent/helpful poster, so be sure to
    make it back here someday. I won't hold it against you.
  6. Joined
    11 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 21:49
    Get off his back peeps, he's one of the most consistently helpful posters on this forum. Ok, the mass resignation and unnecessarily abrasive attitude of this thread aren't nice, but spare a thought, they look more like symptoms of some sort of depression than anything else.
    Take a break bruv, and like many non posting browsers of this forum I hope you can get back on top of things and continue to share the knowledge in the future.

Tom
  7. e4
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 22:05
    I won't post your personal PM from a few weeks ago. It was personal.

All I'll say is that some do not understand the real reason and nature
    of the illness and the surgery required.
    Chess is the last thing on your mind having this sword hanging over you.

Hope I've not embarrassed you Paul or betrayed a secret
    but felt it had to be said.

I'm sure all will be well and you will return.
  8. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 22:39
    Many internet sites nowdays form addictions. It is wrong to have a go at people when they recognise an addiction. It is true that resignation is not ideal for an opponent engrossed in an interesting game but get a priority.

(i may be misdiagnosing here but the point is still probably valid)

(fear of addiction being my main reason for not subscribing)
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 22:48
    Originally posted by Habeascorp
    Many internet sites nowdays form addictions. It is wrong to have a go at people when they recognise an addiction. It is true that resignation is not ideal for an opponent engrossed in an interesting game but get a priority.

(i may be misdiagnosing here but the point is still probably valid)

(fear of addiction being my main reason for not subscribing)
    its very well said, those obnoxious posters above have really no understanding that this type of thing can and does happen and its no ones fault. PBfromfics was a rare combination, a chess player and a gentleman, he spent many hours helping me with certain lines during our games almost to the point of revealing his plans. I am truly saddened that he shall be leaving the site and once he gets his balance back i hope that he shall return 🙂
  10. e4
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 23:00
    But these so called 'obnoxious posters ' can only see what they saw.

They don't have all the facts so let's cut them some slack as well.

Most people on here, and I'm more guilty than anyone, post first and think about it later.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 23:112 edits
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

Most people on here, and I'm more guilty than anyone, post first and think about it later.
    yes pawn dude, but to try to ascertain the reasons behind something takes thought, ok i applaud your reasoning, it may indeed have been a instinctive reaction, but there is no excuse for a lack of civility. Clearly something was seriously wrong, however comments like, blaming your health is a crappy excuse, you should learn humility, what the heck is that? that dude adramforall is a poor excuse for a scotsman i tell ya, probably a hearts supporter.
  12. Joined
    07 Apr '10
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 23:11
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

That's how I approach my chess game-move first, then think about it.
  13. Joined
    30 Oct '07
    Moves
    07 Nov '10 23:32
    Sorry to learn you've left again Paul. Hope to play you again one day.

Best wishes from a friend.
  14. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 01:12
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    I meant I take on more than I can chew every subscription. I have done this one other time, two years ago.

Thanks for the post.

It only took me an hour and a half to annotate that game for you 2 years ago.
    Do you even remember that? I put a lot of work into it.

I have already asked the site to close the account, so don't worry.
    Yes I remember, I still have the game notes, and it was much appreciated.

That is why I would have expected more from a player like yourself, rather the action you took.

You could have utilised vacation time, don't know how much, if any, you had left for this year, you could have played one move in each game after taking the maximum amount of time per move, and from January 2011 you could have taken 36 days vacation time, and you would not have needed to move until February.

That would have given you the break you needed and saved all this hassle.
  15. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 01:13
    Best wishes, Paul.

Paul Leggett
    Hebrews 11:1

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree