1. Joined
    29 Nov '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 02:121 edit
    Originally posted by Erekose
    From what I can see, its not so much resigning your games, but your attitude about it. A little humility like "I'm really sorry, but I'm completely burned out and I'm going to take a break for a while. I'd especially like to apologize to my clanmates for letting them down" might have been in order. Instead, you act like a selfish prima donna. Poor Lundos ow far along you get in life, too. Be careful.
    I think you have good point here. Probably that is the main issue after all.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 02:36
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I won't post your personal PM from a few weeks ago. It was personal.

All I'll say is that some do not understand the real reason and nature
    of the illness and the surgery required.
    Chess is the last thing on your mind having this sword hanging over you.

Hope I've not embarrassed you Paul or betrayed a secret
    but felt it had to be said.

I'm sure all will be well and you will return.
    Everybody who plays and posts here has issues involving their real life. Most don't feel it necessary to quit their games, screw their teammates and look for sympathy while doing it.
  3. Joined
    09 Dec '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 02:58
    hope you get everything sorted out paul. You don't owe your clan members anything. Sure a sorry for resigning the games would probably be appreciated. BUt,it is not required.
  4. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 04:11
    I don't agree that you that you can expect your opponent to give 100% when you play, this is a hobby and the internet- people resign for any number of reasons. The only thing I dislike is DMD.
  5. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 04:32
    I wrote this message to you:

"Hey,

I'm sorry that you feel burned out, but you've really left us hanging in the clan leagues. The 3/7 team had a really good chance of defending our title, and now it's all gone. I hope you come back to RHP, but next time please don't join a team and not fulfill your obligations.

Best regards, "

and you respond by posting this on your profile (and making a thread about it so everybody would notice):

"I KNOW burning myself out cost the clan points. Thanks for reminding me Lundos. That was quite nice. I should have ignored my own health and continued to play the glory of internet clan success. "

Well thanks for that. It's sad that you're sick, but I agree with No.1. Good riddance!
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 08:551 edit
    Originally posted by Lundos
    I wrote this message to you:

"Hey,

I'm sorry that you feel burned out, but you've really left us hanging in the clan leagues. The 3/7 team had a really good chance of defending our title, and now it's all gone. I hope you come back to RHP, but next time please don't join a team and not fulfill your obligations.

Best regards, "

and you respond by p Well thanks for that. It's sad that you're sick, but I agree with No.1. Good riddance!
    greenpawn, i rest my case! what the heck is this? petty squabbles on a chess board now are more important than a mans health and he has to suffer the indignation of being lectured on humility? you people go out and feel your bums, get your wifes to do it, anything for goodness sake to bring you back to reality!
  7. Lagos
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 09:28
    Take care, Paul Buchman.
  8. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 10:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    greenpawn, i rest my case! what the heck is this? petty squabbles on a chess board now are more important than a mans health and he has to suffer the indignation of being lectured on humility? you people go out and feel your bums, get your wifes to do it, anything for goodness sake to bring you back to reality!
    I'm not saying internet chess is more important than a mans health. Obviously! But apparently Paul knew he was sick. I remember his profile said something about an operation in October, which was later postponed.

My problem with this is that Paul still joined the team, while knowing he was sick and not being able to fulfill his obligations. We are 5 other players on this team, and we spend hours on our games. Also I don't appreciate being called abusive in his profile. If his profile just had said, I'm sick and wont be able to play for a while, then no harm and I would have written a get well message. Instead it said something about being burned out (again), which is basically his own fault.

Robbie, I know you like Paul. I've been enjoying his games and analysis too. But this situation wasn't handled very well by him (and me you can argue), and there's certainly no reason to ask for a little bum feeling or a reality check.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 10:481 edit
    Originally posted by Lundos
    I'm not saying internet chess is more important than a mans health. Obviously! But apparently Paul knew he was sick. I remember his profile said something about an operation in October, which was later postponed.

My problem with this is that Paul still joined the team, while knowing he was sick and not being able to fulfill his obligations. We are 5 other gue), and there's certainly no reason to ask for a little bum feeling or a reality check.
    let me ask you my friend, do you think that PBfromfics took any delight in resigning his games? Had he known that he would have been unable to complete them do you think for one moment that he would have entered putting your chances in jeopardy? Does he strike you as the sort of person who would do that? I have no doubt that he entered into your games with the best of intentions (how do i know, for he loved chess, he spent many hours detailing elements to me, perhaps he loved it too much), but time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all, its not deliberate, it just happens, its life. I understand your disappointment, really i do, it takes hours of study sometimes for just one single move, but you are rubbing insult into injury here with terms like, 'good riddance'. Yes he has a degree of personal responsibility, but i am willing to believe that he entered into your games with pure motives and the best of intent. i apologise for bum feeling, except in the case of No1marauder who needs all the love he can get 🙂
  10. e4
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 12:43
    Hi guys,

Paul did a lot soul searching before quitting all his games.
    I'm not going to dwell on his illness other to say it is rather severe.
    And it did come as bolt from from the blue.

I understand how others feel and admire their honesty.

However letting his team know was I think the correct decision as the team
    now know they have to play their skins out.

If Paul had waited and then suddenly got hospitalised for a lengthy period
    then a load of skulls would have appeared when it was too late for his mates
    to do anything about it. (draws when slightly better had been agreed etc..).

When I play the games take over.
    I wanted to play another 20 games (10 white's and 10 Blacks) but my wife
    has asked to 'please' wait till after Christmas.
    Such is the demand they make on me and my family.

Though I love every minute of it nothing else matters and I let everything drop,
    and I mean everything, I lost/quit my last job because it interfered with the games.

I even declined from going to Ruxton's birthday do in Bells because I
    had a few games to look at. I pulled out of going to my brothers daughters
    wedding (my niece) he understood because he knows nothing comes between
    me and chess. The games completely take over.

Paul and I'm sure others on here are cut off the same branch.
    So you can imagine how Paul is feeling at the moment.
    I know all of you really wish him well, this will cheer him up through
    this difficult period.
  11. c6
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 12:59
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I don't agree that you that you can expect your opponent to give 100% when you play, this is a hobby and the internet- people resign for any number of reasons. The only thing I dislike is DMD.
    Agree. Everyone here is free to do as they like as long as they don't cheat or abuse the DMD. Technically, they're even free to do the second one, it's just bad sportsmanship.

Take care, Paul.
  12. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 15:22
    Everything I've ever read from Paul was either informative or friendly. I think that it was conscientious of him to even bother informing everyone about his decision to resign the games, something he didn't have to do. I really hope everything goes well for him and that he will be back soon.
  13. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 16:08
    I haven't read all the responses, they are quite depressing. Why is everyone hating so much?? Anyways, I hope you get better soon Paul!
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 16:35
    Originally posted by Maxacre42
    I haven't read all the responses, they are quite depressing. Why is everyone hating so much?? Anyways, I hope you get better soon Paul!
    I think 'hating' is a touch over the top.

I think what's ruffled some peoples feathers is the rather 'soap opera' way Paul has gone about it, ie. putting the link in this forum.
  15. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    08 Nov '10 16:531 edit
    I don't think his profile was a soap opera, just a way of telling people why he resigned without having to mass send 200 messages.

As far as his clan, how long had he been a member? He only resub'd recently right? I wouldn't put the fate of my team on a guy who has been active for less than two months.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree