1. Joined
    07 Dec '06
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 09:09
    Hey everyone, i've been playing chess for nearly a week now, and i have progressed really well. Well i think so anyway. I won my first game against a human today, which inspired me to play alot more chess. No one probably really cares and thinks i'm a noob but i'm proud of myself and my self esteem about my intelligence is alot better. Well that's it for now, thanks for the great site.
  2. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 09:18
    Originally posted by danielkirk1
    Hey everyone, i've been playing chess for nearly a week now, and i have progressed really well. Well i think so anyway. I won my first game against a human today, which inspired me to play alot more chess. No one probably really cares and thinks i'm a noob but i'm proud of myself and my self esteem about my intelligence is alot better. Well that's it for now, thanks for the great site.
    Well done, best of luck in all your games 🙂
  3. Donationbriancron
    nunquam perdo
    Washington, DC
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 13:57
    I think every chess player should care about new people learning and enjoying chess.

This is about the best supportive chess forum I have ever seen. You should subscribe and join a clan so they can help you progress.

Great profile.
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 14:03
    Originally posted by briancron
    I think every chess player should care about new people learning and enjoying chess.

This is about the best supportive chess forum I have ever seen. You should subscribe and join a clan so they can help you progress.

Great profile.
    Why am i reading this stupid profile?
  5. florida
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 15:10
    Welcome to RHP!
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '06
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 15:36
    Thank you very much guys. Also this site has been more helpful to me than any other database or chess puzzles etc. I would also like to pay respect to a certain player named caro kann, for taking the time out of his free time to have a teaching game with me, and analysing my games.
  7. Joined
    25 Nov '06
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 15:47
    Mwa ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha! Right in the butt!
  8. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 16:02
    The two suggestions I can offer you for learning the game.

1. Learn your basic mates - Rook & King vrs King, 2 rooks vrs. King, King + Queen vrs King and 2 bishops and king vrs king. Learn when 1 pawn +king vrs king wins and when it loses. Dragon Fire had some threads on all of these just a short while back.

2. Study tactics - know what a pin, skewer, windmill, fork, double attack, double check etc. Doing some puzzles at Chess Tactics Server (google for it) could really help.

Finally don't study too much. It's a game and should be enjoyed as such.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '06
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 16:12
    Originally posted by zebano

1. Learn your basic mates - Rook & King vrs King, 2 rooks vrs. King, King + Queen vrs King and 2 bishops and king vrs king. Learn when 1 pawn +king vrs king wins and when it loses. Dragon Fire had some threads on all of these just a short while back.

2. Study tactics - know what a pin, skewer, w ...[text shortened]... could really help.

I completed all of the beginner tactics on that site, it took a while... I love that site, because ever since i have been doing those tactic puzzles i'm more aware of what my oppenent is doing. And thanks, i will work on those mates. The only thing i didn't know out of those tactics you listed was the windmill, what's that? Thanks for the help.
  10. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 16:161 edit
    I completed all of the beginner tactics on that site, it took a while... I love that site, because ever since i have been doing those tactic puzzles i'm more aware of what my oppenent is doing. And thanks, i will work on those mates. The only thing i didn't know out of those tactics you listed was the windmill, what's that? Thanks for the help.
    A windmill is a tactic where a series of checks result in gaining more material. A good example is here:

http://chess.about.com/od/beginners/ss/ble25tac_4.htm
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '06
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 16:43
    Originally posted by lausey
    A windmill is a tactic where a series of checks result in gaining more material. A good example is here:

http://chess.about.com/od/beginners/ss/ble25tac_4.htm
    Thank you 😀
  12. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 17:04
    You should also spend some time on King and Pawn endgames. Also, remember that knowing HOW to move correctly in the opening, is far more important at this stage than KNOWING said opeing. Just my two cents. Take care and good chess!
  13. Joined
    06 Aug '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 17:05
    I've always known it as a 'see-saw'
  14. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    15 Dec '06 17:46
    Originally posted by zebano

2. Study tactics - know what a pin, skewer, w ...[text shortened]... could really help.

Essentially it's a revealed check that you can repeat as long as you want, picking up material as you go.
  15. cleveland ohio
    Moves
    18 Dec '06 04:58
    glad to hear about your big win, Chess is a wonderful game and a lot of fun so enjoy it and have fun
    !

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree