Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 30 Jun '07 03:39
    I usually play the Benko against d4, and as fun and awesome as that is, sometimes I need something a little more aggressive. I was thinking, obviously that a gambit is in order. Two that have been suggested to me are the Albin Countergambit and the Budapest.

    I like the Albin because it seems a bit more crazy, but which one produces results?
  2. 30 Jun '07 05:19
    The Tango: 1d4...Nf6, 2.c4...Nc6, 3.Nc3...e5, 4.d5...Ne7, 5. Nf3...Ng6 or 5.e4...Nf6 or 5.g3...Ng6

    It has a fun name and isn't so well known!
  3. 30 Jun '07 10:30
    Try the Budapest gambit,1:d4 Nf6 2:c4 e5 when white declines the gambit there are a lot of tricks for black to win,if white accepts,black can hold on for a draw easily.
  4. Standard member najdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    30 Jun '07 10:32
    i have tried for 15yrs to get a fun defence to 1.d4.........I come to the conclusion.................................there isn't one!
  5. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    30 Jun '07 11:48
    Originally posted by najdorfslayer
    i have tried for 15yrs to get a fun defence to 1.d4.........I come to the conclusion.................................there isn't one!
    I'm having great fun playing dutch leningrad.
  6. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    30 Jun '07 11:54
    Originally posted by pwnguin
    I usually play the Benko against d4, and as fun and awesome as that is, sometimes I need something a little more aggressive. I was thinking, obviously that a gambit is in order. Two that have been suggested to me are the Albin Countergambit and the Budapest.

    I like the Albin because it seems a bit more crazy, but which one produces results?
    Play the Dutch (1.d4 f5) or Polish Defense (1.d4 b5 2.e4 Bb7 3.Bd3 e6 4.Nf3 a6 5.0-0 Nf6 6.Re1 c5 7.c3).
  7. 30 Jun '07 12:22
    Dutch Leningrad or Modern Benoni.
    Both are risky but fun for black.
  8. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    30 Jun '07 13:02
    King's Indian Defence.
  9. Donation !~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    30 Jun '07 14:05
    If you play the Benko, and want something more aggressive, the Modern Benoni makes alot of sense, since it's somewhat similar in structure, and has the same first couple of moves. I love the Benoni, it's really one of the only defenses where White really doesn't have any boring drawing lines. !
  10. 30 Jun '07 15:12
    I am a d4 player, and have to agree with all the people who are recommending the Modern Benoni for fun games.
  11. 30 Jun '07 15:39
    i have to agree with najdorf if you want to play correct your first answer to 1d4 should be nf6 as it gives the most options but as for a fun openning its alot harder to think of.
  12. Standard member najdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    30 Jun '07 16:09
    Originally posted by pwnguin
    I usually play the Benko against d4, and as fun and awesome as that is, sometimes I need something a little more aggressive. I was thinking, obviously that a gambit is in order. Two that have been suggested to me are the Albin Countergambit and the Budapest.

    I like the Albin because it seems a bit more crazy, but which one produces results?
    The problem is the ACG isn't too strong despite Morozovich trying to rekindle it.....and Black has to work hard if White plays correctly.....certainy not really suitable for CC.

    Budapest is a very respectable opening but not really that much fun.....if Black plays correctly then he will probably end up an equal position but it's not really that much fun (trust me I just played in a thematic BG opening at my club).

    However it all depends on your definitin of fun is............some players love playing against 1.d4 as they are strategic players.

    Aggressive openings v 1.d4 is difficult I agree Benko is a good choice......Modern Benoni gives White some really good options and Black can get in a bit of a bind (e.g modern main line and flick-knife).

    Unfortunately by the nature of 1.d4 they aren't really as many good aggressive opening as against 1.e4. I would advise to stick with the Benko learn it REALLY well.
  13. 30 Jun '07 17:13 / 1 edit
    So would the Modern Benoni be a good choice, seeing as it is aggressive and is similar to the Benko?

    I just want a bit of spice in my openings. Benko games are very fun and win a lot of the time, but when people have started prepping anti-Benkos against me, I know I need at least a secondary choice.

    EDIT: According to chessgames.com, Tal lost 11 of 75 games where he played the Modern Benoni. I think that is a pretty good statement for the opening.
  14. 30 Jun '07 19:15 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by pwnguin
    So would the Modern Benoni be a good choice, seeing as it is aggressive and is similar to the Benko?

    I just want a bit of spice in my openings. Benko games are very fun and win a lot of the time, but when people have started prepping anti-Benkos against me, I know I need at least a secondary choice.

    EDIT: According to chessgames.com, Tal lost 11 of 75 ...[text shortened]... ames where he played the Modern Benoni. I think that is a pretty good statement for the opening.
    Tal's basically a god though.

    Look left.
  15. 30 Jun '07 19:21
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Tal's basically a god though.

    Look left.
    I arrested a Russian guy once, and on a whim I brought up chess with him in the booking room. If his claims are at all true, then he is personal friends with Boris Gulko, and was family friends with Tal!!! Said when he was a child Tal played correspondence with him for fun... would have been quite an experience for most of us.