1. Joined
    28 Jun '07
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 03:39
    I usually play the Benko against d4, and as fun and awesome as that is, sometimes I need something a little more aggressive. I was thinking, obviously that a gambit is in order. Two that have been suggested to me are the Albin Countergambit and the Budapest.

I like the Albin because it seems a bit more crazy, but which one produces results?
  2. London
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 05:19
    The Tango: 1d4...Nf6, 2.c4...Nc6, 3.Nc3...e5, 4.d5...Ne7, 5. Nf3...Ng6 or 5.e4...Nf6 or 5.g3...Ng6

It has a fun name and isn't so well known!
  3. Joined
    24 Nov '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 10:30
    Try the Budapest gambit,1:d4 Nf6 2:c4 e5 when white declines the gambit there are a lot of tricks for black to win,if white accepts,black can hold on for a draw easily.
  4. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 10:32
    i have tried for 15yrs to get a fun defence to 1.d4.........I come to the conclusion.................................there isn't one!
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 11:48
    Originally posted by najdorfslayer
    i have tried for 15yrs to get a fun defence to 1.d4.........I come to the conclusion.................................there isn't one!
    I'm having great fun playing dutch leningrad.
  6. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 11:54
    Originally posted by pwnguin
    I usually play the Benko against d4, and as fun and awesome as that is, sometimes I need something a little more aggressive. I was thinking, obviously that a gambit is in order. Two that have been suggested to me are the Albin Countergambit and the Budapest.

I like the Albin because it seems a bit more crazy, but which one produces results?
    Play the Dutch (1.d4 f5) or Polish Defense (1.d4 b5 2.e4 Bb7 3.Bd3 e6 4.Nf3 a6 5.0-0 Nf6 6.Re1 c5 7.c3).
  7. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 12:22
    Dutch Leningrad or Modern Benoni.
    Both are risky but fun for black.
  8. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 13:02
    King's Indian Defence. 😏
  9. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 14:05
    If you play the Benko, and want something more aggressive, the Modern Benoni makes alot of sense, since it's somewhat similar in structure, and has the same first couple of moves. I love the Benoni, it's really one of the only defenses where White really doesn't have any boring drawing lines. !
  10. Under Cover
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 15:12
    I am a d4 player, and have to agree with all the people who are recommending the Modern Benoni for fun games.
  11. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 15:39
    i have to agree with najdorf if you want to play correct your first answer to 1d4 should be nf6 as it gives the most options but as for a fun openning its alot harder to think of.
  12. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 16:09

The problem is the ACG isn't too strong despite Morozovich trying to rekindle it.....and Black has to work hard if White plays correctly.....certainy not really suitable for CC.

Budapest is a very respectable opening but not really that much fun.....if Black plays correctly then he will probably end up an equal position but it's not really that much fun (trust me I just played in a thematic BG opening at my club).

However it all depends on your definitin of fun is............some players love playing against 1.d4 as they are strategic players.

Aggressive openings v 1.d4 is difficult I agree Benko is a good choice......Modern Benoni gives White some really good options and Black can get in a bit of a bind (e.g modern main line and flick-knife).

Unfortunately by the nature of 1.d4 they aren't really as many good aggressive opening as against 1.e4. I would advise to stick with the Benko learn it REALLY well.
  13. Joined
    28 Jun '07
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 17:131 edit
    So would the Modern Benoni be a good choice, seeing as it is aggressive and is similar to the Benko?

I just want a bit of spice in my openings. Benko games are very fun and win a lot of the time, but when people have started prepping anti-Benkos against me, I know I need at least a secondary choice.

EDIT: According to chessgames.com, Tal lost 11 of 75 games where he played the Modern Benoni. I think that is a pretty good statement for the opening.
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 19:152 edits
    So would the Modern Benoni be a good choice, seeing as it is aggressive and is similar to the Benko?

I just want a bit of spice in my openings. Benko games are very fun and win a lot of the time, but when people have started prepping anti-Benkos against me, I know I need at least a secondary choice.

EDIT: According to chessgames.com, Tal lost 11 of 75 ...[text shortened]... ames where he played the Modern Benoni. I think that is a pretty good statement for the opening.
    Tal's basically a god though.

Look left.
  15. Under Cover
    Moves
    30 Jun '07 19:21
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Tal's basically a god though.

Look left.
    I arrested a Russian guy once, and on a whim I brought up chess with him in the booking room. If his claims are at all true, then he is personal friends with Boris Gulko, and was family friends with Tal!!! Said when he was a child Tal played correspondence with him for fun... would have been quite an experience for most of us.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree