1. Joined
    28 Jun '07
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 19:44
    Is the Modern Benoni playable in correspondence chess, when my opponent will have access to theory? How unsound is it?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 19:50
    Originally posted by najdorfslayer
    i have tried for 15yrs to get a fun defence to 1.d4.........I come to the conclusion.................................there isn't one!
    that's why you play e6 and try to transpose into the french! 😛
  3. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    02 Jul '07 21:25
    It's not as bad as everyone thinks it is, and the Taimanov Variation is certainly the best, but it's pretty playable in my opinion, but you definitely need to know the theory and the typical plans and ideas. The one thing about the Modern Benoni that is so great is that there is a very distinctive pawn structure that gives rise to very easy to spot and strategically important ideas. For instance, given that Black has practically forced White's central pawns onto light squares, his Bg7 is an absolute monstrous piece. Also, when White plays cxd5, he gives Black a queenside majority, while himself gaining a central majority. This defines the basic play for the entire opening. White will either try to play against the weak d6 pawn in position fashion with Bf4 and Nd2-c4, etc...or he will play in the center or on the kingside by looking to bust Black open with e4-e5, which normally, if he gets this in, black has problems. Black will normally play on the queenside, trying to achieve b7-b5, and will try to use that bishop to good effect, all the while watching out for e5. Black can also play against the e4 pawn with ..Re8, ..f5, etc.. and there are some common variations where black will play on the kingside. It's all very complicated!
  4. Joined
    06 Oct '02
    Moves
    03 Jul '07 02:37
    QGA
  5. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 Jul '07 19:09
    Originally posted by pwnguin
    Is the Modern Benoni playable in correspondence chess, when my opponent will have access to theory? How unsound is it?
    Yes it is, but I'd definately recommend using it in conjunction with either a database or, preferably a book to give you context for the opening moves & variations.
    I have Richard Palliser's Modern Benoni Revealed & it's great.

The reason I suggest a db or book to help play the Benoni is that it really is so sharp that if you or your opponent slip then a piece counter by black or white on either flank (or a white central e5 pawn-push) can prove decisive.
    Therefore, if you use a book or db & your foe doesn't, a move that doesn't appear in the line & you should immediately be thinking "what mistake has he made?"
    If, however he is also using a db, you get to sometimes play a famous match from the past! I've gone to move 15 in one G.I.P which is in book far longer than I usually am.
    Other than that (which cheapens C.C in my opinion) the MB is a great counter-attacking choice against 1.d4 for black, with open lines, mobility on KS & QS & good overall control of the dark squares.

Here's a main line showing how much space black gets at the cost of swift possible counter chances for white & a rather rigid pawn structure:
    1.d4...Nf6
    2.c4...c5
    3.d5...e6
    4.Nc3...d6
    5.e4...exd5
    6.cxd5...g6
    7.Nf3...Bg7
    8.Be2...0-0
    9.0-0...Re8

white to play
  6. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    03 Jul '07 20:01
    I like the modern benoni too!
  7. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    04 Jul '07 13:21
    Originally posted by pwnguin
    I usually play the Benko against d4, and as fun and awesome as that is, sometimes I need something a little more aggressive. I was thinking, obviously that a gambit is in order. Two that have been suggested to me are the Albin Countergambit and the Budapest.

I like the Albin because it seems a bit more crazy, but which one produces results?
    The problem with fun lines like these (and this includes the Benko/Volga Gambit, which I sometimes play) is that many white d4 players play 2.Nf3 to cut out all the fun stuff. Boring b******s!
  8. Standard memberonyx2006
    onyx2007
    watching you...
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 07:53
    Play the albin, that's just about all I'll ever play against d4 again.
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 00:53
    I sometimes play the Tchigorin Defense (1 d4 d5 2 c4 Nc6). Super-GM Morozovich has played it often and with success. I believe he has a new book or DVD about this opening.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree