Need help getting to 1400?

Need help getting to 1400?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MS

Under Cover

Moves
28 Mar 06
1 edit

Originally posted by exigentsky
Try for active piece placement.
My plans are basic and along the same line as this. I am no expert, but I am able to stay within the 1500-1600 range. Basically, when there are no tactics available (at least none that I can spot), then I look at the pieces individually. I try to make sure that each of my pieces are getting more activity than their counterparts on the other side of the board. The basic method for doing this is to use my pawns to increase the mobility of my pieces or decrease the mobility of enemy pieces, or (ideally) both. This simple idea isn't going to win any brilliancy prizes, but I can get playable positions with it more often than not.

J

back in business

Moves
28 Mar 06

Originally posted by Derfel Cadarn
Don't talk to me about being ambitious. You haven't moved in 60 days.
you got to be kidding. are you saying RHP is the only place in the world to play chess??

F

Moves
28 Mar 06

Originally posted by mosquitorespect
Just hit 1500, earlier than I expected!
Me too! And rocketed through.

My rating is now 1540 since a few days ago, but that doesn't mean that I really am 1540. Just been lucky for a while. I have some games now with no chanses to win so in a week I'm probably below 1500 again.

I estimate myself really being somewhere in the upper 1400s.

Highlander

Planet Earth

Moves
28 Mar 06

Originally posted by kaiza
Hmm, the thing i have trouble with is coming up with a "plan". I've heard alot of people saying its good to have a plan, the only trouble with that is my plans involve early checkmates, which I know im not supposed to go for (unless my opponent blunders). So my question is:

When making a plan (in the middle game) what should i go for (assuming my opponent won't blunder)?
My problem tends to be both players have advanced their pieces as far as possible and we are at the point where there appears no move available without giving your opponent an opening or simply weakening your own position. 🙁 🙁 🙁

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
29 Mar 06

Originally posted by kaiza
Hmm, the thing i have trouble with is coming up with a "plan". I've heard alot of people saying its good to have a plan, the only trouble with that is my plans involve early checkmates, which I know im not supposed to go for (unless my opponent blunders). So my question is:

When making a plan (in the middle game) what should i go for (assuming my opponent won't blunder)?
Wait till the weekend. I'll have more free time and I'll help you and others with this planning thing. I also have trouble with it 🙂

k

Regina, Saskatchewan

Moves
29 Mar 06

Sounds good to me!

Thanks for the help everyone! So far, its been great 🙂

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
29 Mar 06

Originally posted by RahimK
Wait till the weekend. I'll have more free time and I'll help you and others with this planning thing. I also have trouble with it 🙂
One advice for now though:

For those who like reading chess books, then for planning Reasses your Chess by Silman is good. I read it once, 2 years ago when I was starting out serious play and had just joined OTB. It was over my head and I found most of the concepts diffcult. I was around 1300ish then though. I think that book is meant for 1700+ player though.

k

Regina, Saskatchewan

Moves
29 Mar 06

I ordered that book about 2 months ago, but amazon had it on back order so i should be getting it between April 11th and April 25th 😛

J

Irrational Places

Moves
29 Mar 06

J

back in business

Moves
29 Mar 06
1 edit

just play blitz and do basic tactics exercices...

J

Irrational Places

Moves
29 Mar 06

J

Irrational Places

Moves
29 Mar 06
1 edit

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
29 Mar 06

Originally posted by JoniG
Whenever I play blitz I feel like I'm missing all the beauties that chess contains.

I feel like I get dumber by playing blitz. I seem to absorb bad habits that never goes away. Hope chess in other words. ...
Are you sure about that? Does anybody else agree with Jasuh?
I suspect it's quite different for a class A player like jusu. he's been playing for a long time, and has already weeded out most of those bad habits us lower rated players struggle with. he won't fall into 'hope chess' like we do playing fast. -I mean, his national blitz-rating is 2058, so his blitz is quite different from our blitz. (oh right, I'm not sure if that rating is for speed, rapid, blitz or what? G/15? what are the controls for 'pikaselo'-games jusu?)

but a little tactics every day sounds good. 15-20min a day should even make you better at it.

J

back in business

Moves
29 Mar 06

Originally posted by wormwood
what are the controls for 'pikaselo'-games jusu?)
5min games only. as far I know...

m
The Vorlon

Papillion, Nebraska

Moves
29 Mar 06
1 edit

I too have trouble staying above 1400 so please consider me in too.