1. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    22 Nov '07 15:211 edit
    One thing I really like about the Smith-Morra: black can simply decline it. If he accepts white can get a lot of initiative for that pawn, too much IMHO.
  2. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    22 Nov '07 18:00
    Originally posted by scandium
    One thing I really like about the Smith-Morra: black can simply decline it. If he accepts white can get a lot of initiative for that pawn, too much IMHO.
    Agreed!!!
  3. Joined
    12 Feb '05
    Moves
    22 Nov '07 21:17
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    that won't kill me.
    2. ..Nf6 scandinavian. Easy to master, fun to play.
  4. Here and there
    Moves
    22 Nov '07 21:19
    Just a quick question for the person who originally started this thread.... You said you're looking for an opening against 1.e4.....well, what do you play against 1.d4? If you tell us that (giving us an idea of what type of positions you like to play), perhaps I'd have a better idea of what to tell you.

In my opinion, it really doesn't matter at all what 'theory' (or anyone else!) says about an opening...if you're comfortable with the types of position then it'll be fine for you (at any level up to 2200 or so).

To prove my point, I recently took up the modern ('Tiger's modern' to be more precise, which is probably the most hair-raising and chaotic opening that I've ever come across!!). And....I LOVE it in over-the-board play. EVERY time I play it, I get that thrill of doing something excessively heroic (and I've come to realize that the 'holey-moley...what-beautiful-mess' adrenaline rush I get......ISN'T shared my my opponents who just get the 'what-a-mess' part ;-)
  5. Standard membernmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '07 21:32
    that won't kill me.
    1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 f5

The Philidor Counter Gambit has been one of my babies since I was young...but only play it if your tactics are very good.

And I think yours are considering your defensive skills in our game..one can only assume the other should be pretty well developed.

I recommended this opening just a few days ago to someone I beat and he used it very suprisingly saying basically the tactics just opened up themselves.

Dave
  6. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '07 23:24
    Game 4298258 Just got smoked :'(
  7. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '07 23:30
    OUCH.
  8. I pity the fool!
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 00:51
    Originally posted by scandium

As to 1... e5, who cares what Super GMs are playing? Seriously. What a 2600 level player is opening with has absolutely no bearing on anything outside of Super GM level chess.
    Unfortunately, it can have. Since we are allowed to use databases and they are packed with super grandmaster games - it stands to reason that playing the same lines as strong masters will take you a fair way through the game before you have to start thinking for yourself.
  9. Standard memberleisurelysloth
    Man of Steel
    rushing to and fro
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 01:231 edit
    Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
    Unfortunately, it can have. Since we are allowed to use databases and they are packed with super grandmaster games - it stands to reason that playing the same lines as strong masters will take you a fair way through the game before you have to start thinking for yourself.
    And then leave you high-and-dry when your opponent deviates from the line on move 17 and you have no frickin' clue what the point behind all this was.

EDIT: 😞
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 04:13
    Game 4298258 Just got smoked :'(
    EXACTLY. What did I tell you, you played the opening wrong and white smoked your ass for it. e5 is bad too, because you blocked your bishop in. You can take my suggestions or not.
  11. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 04:16
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    EXACTLY. What did I tell you, you played the opening wrong and white smoked your ass for it. e5 is bad too, because you blocked your bishop in. You can take my suggestions or not.
    He may have already played it that way before he started/read this thread.
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    23 Nov '07 04:24
    Originally posted by wittywonka
    He may have already played it that way before he started/read this thread.
    Yeah, yeah, but regardless it supports my criticism of his moves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree