Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    21 Oct '15 18:24
    I've heard this adage.
    Is it a rule which should always be followed?
    Is it a rule with lot's of exceptions?(I know most of them are)
    I'm sure some of you "chessxperts" have an opinion.
  2. Subscriber BigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    21 Oct '15 19:53
    Originally posted by venda
    I've heard this adage.
    Is it a rule which should always be followed?
    Is it a rule with lot's of exceptions?(I know most of them are)
    I'm sure some of you "chessxperts" have an opinion.
    I have not heard this one and I have played chess for 25 years.

    I don't trust this one. There have got to be positions where the best move is a N retreat even while "fighting".
  3. Standard member nimzo5
    Ronin
    21 Oct '15 21:46 / 2 edits
    You mean like this?


    Nb1!

  4. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    22 Oct '15 04:15
    Originally posted by venda
    I've heard this adage.
    Is it a rule which should always be followed?
    Is it a rule with lot's of exceptions?(I know most of them are)
    I'm sure some of you "chessxperts" have an opinion.
    JMHO- There are too many exceptions to this statement for it to make any sense.
  5. Subscriber venda
    Dave
    22 Oct '15 18:19
    Originally posted by bill718
    JMHO- There are too many exceptions to this statement for it to make any sense.
    I agree.
    Must've read it somewhere but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me either
    It's also supposed to be bad to put your knight on the side of the board , but in some situations I find it's a good move.
  6. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    23 Oct '15 09:26
    Originally posted by venda
    I agree.
    Must've read it somewhere but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me either
    It's also supposed to be bad to put your knight on the side of the board , but in some situations I find it's a good move.
    It can be a bad idea to play the knight to g5, have one's opponent play h6 and have nothing better to do than put it back on f3. I think the expression is warning against that kind of loss of initiative.
  7. 23 Oct '15 12:25
    Bad boxing advice transcribed into zen chess pearl?
  8. 23 Oct '15 13:42
    Was it Tarrasch or Keres that liked moving a knight back to bring a pawn forward to use the pawn as a post for the knight? If I not wrong, I read something like that.
  9. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    24 Oct '15 08:19
    Originally posted by venda
    I've heard this adage.
    Is it a rule which should always be followed?
    Is it a rule with lot's of exceptions?(I know most of them are)
    I'm sure some of you "chessxperts" have an opinion.
    Down material in blitz it is always a good idea to keep a
    knight active and attacking - just for all the tricks.

    In correspondence or OTB I would say it is not good advice.
    Just play the best move (chess is such an easy game.)
  10. 24 Oct '15 16:19
    If you follow GP's advice you never face your knight forward.

    Face your knight backwards, it makes it look like a bishop!
  11. 03 Nov '15 16:52
    Originally posted by KingOnPoint
    Was it Tarrasch or Keres that liked moving a knight back to bring a pawn forward to use the pawn as a post for the knight? If I not wrong, I read something like that.
    You're probably thinking of Tarrasch - see the "Steinitz Square" article by IM Larry D. Evans at http://chesscamp.net/tutorials/articles.htm