1. Joined
    21 Mar '14
    Moves
    29 Apr '14 16:24
    Congratulations to carpmaniac71 for becoming the new # 1 on RHP. Very nice to see competition hotting up for that spot.
  2. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 03:27
    what kind of chess software is in his computer?
  3. Joined
    18 Apr '14
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 14:48
    Originally posted by Schlecter
    what kind of chess software is in his computer?
    he has the digital version of "How to Beat Your Dad at Chess"
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 15:51
    Originally posted by bindaschess
    Congratulations to carpmaniac71 for becoming the new # 1 on RHP. Very nice to see competition hotting up for that spot.
    It would be even nicer if we could prove they don't use engines.
  5. Joined
    15 Aug '12
    Moves
    30 Apr '14 19:221 edit
    carpmaniac71 just learned how to use the analyze board feature better than TheBigKat....that's all it is...at least that's an excuse I've heard before...
  6. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    03 May '14 00:44
    The win & loss by timeout % needs to be recalculated imo
  7. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    04 May '14 05:38
    What's this? Guilty until proven innocent?
    -A bit harsh to assume that every good player here uses an engine, folks.
    Let's just congratulate anyone who reaches No. 1 spot.
    And leave it at that.
    Congrats, Carpmaniac. I wish I were half as good
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    04 May '14 06:56
    Originally posted by Larkie
    And leave it at that.
    Many of them are NOT good players; hence, the engine.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 May '14 09:15
    And leave it at that.
    Someone knows who carpmaniac71 is. He has an OTB ECF grading of 120ish, if I recall correctly. Which would put him around 1600 FIDE.

In real life he is below average club player, yet on here he is our #1.
  10. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    04 May '14 13:46
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Someone knows who carpmaniac71 is. He has an OTB ECF grading of 120ish, if I recall correctly. Which would put him around 1600 FIDE.

Well OK, Proper Knob...
    The point I'm making, is that it's harsh to leap to conclusions and point the finger without hard evidence. I've been around here for long enough to witness numerous top names being banned for engine use. And there have been many. Eventually, these characters have been caught out and booted out. Whereas engine use is increasingly difficult to prove, I think that the spotlight and magnifying glass of analysis is pretty well focused on all of the games at the top end of the spectrum...or am I being naive??
    So for the moment, 'someone knows who carpmaniac71 is' is a bit vague and second-hand for me. And so for the moment, the guy gets my congrats.
  11. Joined
    24 May '08
    Moves
    04 May '14 15:21
    The Game Mods were initially disbanded in early 2008, then reinstated in April 2008 after a forum vote & then finally disbanded again I think in early 2009.
    Nobody has been banned for engine use since 2009 (unless you know better) because Russ & Chris don't support that policy.
  12. Joined
    21 Mar '14
    Moves
    04 May '14 15:41
    Originally posted by Proper Knob

Well, there is one thing I fail to understand. Why do we mix correspondance chess ratings with real life chess. The dynamics are completely different
    1. You have minimum of 24hrs to make a move, 2. You dont play touch chess, 3. You do not get analysis boards in real games where you can practice lines.

Therefore, it is comparitively easy to get good moves in correspondance chess.

I have put a lot of games into the Litchess engine and the average percentage of #1 choice and #2 choice moves is above 80% for almost all players that still means mistakes and blunders around 20%. So, what is expected out here, mistakes and blunders in the range of 50% to say that a person is not cheating. PLEASE give me a break!!!!

People tend to compare the accuracy in correspondance chess and in real chess and say that even the greatest of GM's do not get a high accuracy as compared to players in correspondance chess without appreciating the dynamics of the two worlds.

If Anand (or) Carlson play correspondance chess with 3 days to make a move and all the analysis boards to use before making a move, will they ever lose?
  13. Planet Earth , Mwy
    Moves
    05 May '14 13:54
    Without any requirement for external assistance in correspondence and online chess where you set your own time per move and timeout limitations, it is always possible to find all opponent errors and best possible replies to these errors. It is merely a case of whether or not you wish to put in the time and effort required to do so and have the time available. Having lost more than 14 games against 14 named players now banned from the site for several years the conclusion is obvious. It is not any longer possible to produce conclusive beyond any reasonable doubt evidence of engine or other banned external use regardless of a players game results or rating. It is therefore necessary to accept that you may indeed by playing against a player who is using banned assistance. Playing unrated games only is likely to reduce this incidence as most engine users do so only to increase their rating points and win versus loss ratio. For those unwilling to play unrated friendly only games they will simply have to accept what must be accepted. The risk of playing against banned assistance players is simply unavoidable so get with the programme?:'(😀
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    06 May '14 17:191 edit
    Well, there is one thing I fail to understand. Why do we mix correspondance chess ratings with real life chess. The dynamics are completely different
    1. You have minimum of 24hrs to make a move, 2. You dont play touch chess, 3. You do not get analysis boards in real games where you can practice lines.

Therefore, it is comparitively easy to get good m ...[text shortened]... ays to make a move and all the analysis boards to use before making a move, will they ever lose?
    Here's some analysis of a GM playing correspondence chess.

Thread 146589
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    06 May '14 17:31
    Well OK, Proper Knob...
    The point I'm making, is that it's harsh to leap to conclusions and point the finger without hard evidence. I've been around here for long enough to witness numerous top names being banned for engine use. And there have been many. Eventually, these characters have been caught out and booted out. Whereas engine use is increasingly dif ...[text shortened]... ac71 is' is a bit vague and second-hand for me. And so for the moment, the guy gets my congrats.
    There was another player who hovered around the top 10-15 on this site for a while, I think he's disappeared now. He was a member of the same club as someone who was a regular poster in this forum. This player, top 10-15 guy, had an OTB rating of 1300ish, I was messages some scorecards which showed this. This player, 10-15 guy, admitted to being an engine user and saw nothing wrong with it. Apparently he wasn't a full shilling. So the question is, if a player who never made it into the top 10, who openly admitted to blatant engine use.......what are those above using?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree