1. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '09 11:56
    Originally posted by ParShooter
    Jewishness is both a religious faith and an ethnicity. The traditional standard for being Jewish is to be born of a Jewish woman. Fischer can renounce the Jewish religion but I think he was born and died a Jew.
    now let us address these two issues, are we agreed that Fischer, by renouncing his 'Faith', cannot therefore be, by definition Jewish? if this indeed is the case, therefore all that it leaves is to determine which parts of his, 'ethnicity', that you would like to ascribe to him which define his Jewishness. All that has been proffered is that his mother was Jewish, and this quite clearly is not enough to determine his ethnicity, for it, by its very nature, must take into account cultural traits, habits, linguistics, religious beliefs real or otherwise, and a comparison be made with respect to others. therefore some pertinent questions need to be asked? I myself will ask my friend Scriabin, a lawyer who himself is Jewish, to qualify what these things mean, so that i may be quite clear on the matter, even though I have agreed not to broach the subject of Fischer with him. i am conscious that this is the chess forum, however, and do not want to labour the point other than establishing what is truthful.
  2. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    30 May '09 12:05
    >I'm no expert on religion, but I'm a musician who has played lots of music by two composers who converted from Judiasm to Catholicsm, Mendelssohn and Mahler. They were Jews by birth because their mothers were Jews. That's just the way it is. In adulthood, both spent a lot of time soul-searching before they converted because both were raised as Jews too.
    >Bobby Fischer was a Jew. Although he embraced something else, and perhaps even converted or became an atheist, he was born a Jew by Jewish law and I think that is recognized by all other faiths. However, I think it is also true, as a previous poster pointed out, that Jewishness is both a religious faith and an ethnicity.
    >Obviously, he spoke with great hatred against Jews in an irrationally violent anti-Semitic manner (just like Hitler), Fischer was definitely a Jew by birth.
  3. e4
    Moves
    30 May '09 14:21
    I don't know how you guys can condemn a film just by seeing the trailor.

The Chess stuff, which interests us, may have been deemed to dull
    for a trailor so some non-chess player put together the 'exciting bits.'
    to sell the film.

Suspect though it will be littered with inaccuracies and conjecture.

I see Bobby's first set bought by his sister from a candy stoare is
    a magnetic set. In one of her rare interviews I'm sure she said it was
    a plug in set.

Also one game has Fischer opening 1.Nc3
    And that's just from the trailor.
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    30 May '09 15:26
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I don't know how you guys can condemn a film just by seeing the trailor.

The Chess stuff, which interests us, may have been deemed to dull
    for a trailor so some non-chess player put together the 'exciting bits.'
    to sell the film.

Suspect though it will be littered with inaccuracies and conjecture.

I see Bobby's first set bought by his sister f ...[text shortened]... plug in set.

Also one game has Fischer opening 1.Nc3
    And that's just from the trailor.
    I thought it was interesting. like I said, I'll much rather watch a movie about his dark side. the trailer looks likes it's gonna be just that.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '09 15:39
    Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
    >I'm no expert on religion, but I'm a musician who has played lots of music by two composers who converted from Judiasm to Catholicsm, Mendelssohn and Mahler. They were Jews by birth because their mothers were Jews. That's just the way it is. In adulthood, both spent a lot of time soul-searching before they converted because both were raised as Jews to ...[text shortened]... onally violent anti-Semitic manner (just like Hitler), Fischer was definitely a Jew by birth.
    how is that, in his own words, he wasn't even circumcised!
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '09 15:43
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I thought it was interesting. like I said, I'll much rather watch a movie about his dark side. the trailer looks likes it's gonna be just that.
    id much rather watch a movie about his chess!
  7. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    30 May '09 15:52
    I really enjoyed the youtube clips that were listed as related videos. I've read a great deal about Fisher, but never heard or seen him. The CBC clip was the infamous "women can't play chess" interview, but it was still fascinating to see.

You can also see how badly they cast the older, world championship Fisher in the movie. He actually sounded like Joe Pesci at one point.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '09 16:23
    Originally posted by Ichibanov
    I really enjoyed the youtube clips that were listed as related videos. I've read a great deal about Fisher, but never heard or seen him. The CBC clip was the infamous "women can't play chess" interview, but it was still fascinating to see.

You can also see how badly they cast the older, world championship Fisher in the movie. He actually sounded like Joe Pesci at one point.
    Hi, can you provide the actual link, to the CBC clip, is it a radio clip? i tried to search through the ones listed but was unable to find it.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '09 16:33
    its OK i found it, hilarious, its the way Fischer is so sincere about his ability to beat any woman given a knight odds.

YouTube&feature=player_embedded
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    30 May '09 16:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    how is that, in his own words, he wasn't even circumcised!
    circumcision doesn't make you jewish. even converting to judaism doesn't make you 'as jewish' as being born from a jewish mother. it's THE defining thing.

I don't know why you have such a problem with it, it's pretty clear-cut. what fischer thought, believed or didn't believe has nothing to do with it. he can't be un-born as a jew any more than I can be un-born as a finn. it already happened.

and none of this should be in chess only forum. can we leave the ethnicity part already?
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    30 May '09 16:49
    id much rather watch a movie about his chess!
    sure, but that's not ever gonna happen though.
  12. e4
    Moves
    30 May '09 16:52
    its OK i found it, hilarious, its the way Fischer is so sincere about his ability to beat any woman given a knight odds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdA7I9nPhSU&feature=player_embedded
    When he gave the interview perhaps he thought he could.

Remember there were no Polgars about then.

Here is a game from the womens Olympiad 1963.
    (this is actually not too bad - I could have chosen a lot worse).
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '09 16:55
    Originally posted by wormwood
    circumcision doesn't make you jewish. even converting to judaism doesn't make you 'as jewish' as being born from a jewish mother. it's THE defining thing.

I don't know why you have such a problem with it, it's pretty clear-cut. what fischer thought, believed or didn't believe has nothing to do with it. he can't be un-born as a jew any more than I can be ...[text shortened]... nd none of this should be in chess only forum. can we leave the ethnicity part already?
    It was not me who introduced the 'ethnicity' claim, i am merely seeking to establish its credentials, but if you want to leave it, that's fine, I also am conscious that this is the chess only forum.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 May '09 16:571 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    When he gave the interview perhaps he thought he could.

Remember there were no Polgars about then.

Here is a game from the womens Olympiad 1963.
    (this is actually not too bad - I could have chosen a lot worse).
    [pgn]
    [Event "2nd olw final"]
    [Site "Split YUG"]
    [Date "1963.10.04"]
    [Round "11"]
    [White "Gaprindashvili, Nona URS"]
    [Black "Samt, . Rxd8 Be6 21. Bc5 Kg7 22. Bxf8+ Rxf8 23. Rxf8 Kxf8 24. Rd1 Ke7 25. b3[/pgn]
    this is an accelerated dragon, how awesome! or should have been! 🙁
  15. Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    30 May '09 18:29
    Originally posted by Romanticus
    Bobby Fischer Live

I just watched the trailer here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y699HhJjBqk

Looks crappy to me
    my god.... what have they done....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree