Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 18 Dec '06 09:55
    http://www.ischach.com/product_info.php?info=p4958_Langrock--The-Modern-Morra-Gambit.html

    Published last month.

    Has anyone got it?
    I probably will as the MG only gets a passing reference in most books.
  2. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    18 Dec '06 10:00
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    http://www.ischach.com/product_info.php?info=p4958_Langrock--The-Modern-Morra-Gambit.html

    Published last month.

    Has anyone got it?
    I probably will as the MG only gets a passing reference in most books.
    After KG, my 2nd favorite opening. I already have 2 books on it but another won't hurt. I've had quite a few wins here that I can attribute directly to "blunders" where the book explains the winning ideas that otherwise I would never have seen or played. Haven't really managed to translate that into OTB performance as the Morra is a more subtle strategic game than the violent tactics of a KGA, although it is not without its tactical niceties.
  3. 18 Dec '06 10:52
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    After KG, my 2nd favorite opening. I already have 2 books on it but another won't hurt. I've had quite a few wins here that I can attribute directly to "blunders" where the book explains the winning ideas that otherwise I would never have seen or played. Haven't really managed to translate that into OTB performance as the Morra is a more subtle strategic game than the violent tactics of a KGA, although it is not without its tactical niceties.
    They're my 2 favourites as well.
    Which books would you suggest for KG?
    I was thinking:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fascinating-Kings-Gambit-Thomas-Johansson/dp/1412046475/sr=8-3/qid=1166438968/ref=sr_1_3/026-8645361-4234823?ie=UTF8&s=books

    or

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kings-Gambit-Swashbuckling-Openings-Batsford/dp/0713484519/sr=8-4/qid=1166438968/ref=sr_1_4/026-8645361-4234823?ie=UTF8&s=books

    Do you have any better suggestions for intermediate 1500 players?
  4. 18 Dec '06 15:14
    i have the book but haven't started reading it yet. I've had a cursory look and it's very indepth with lots of explanations. Looks very promising.
  5. Standard member Dragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    18 Dec '06 15:29
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    They're my 2 favourites as well.
    Which books would you suggest for KG?
    I was thinking:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fascinating-Kings-Gambit-Thomas-Johansson/dp/1412046475/sr=8-3/qid=1166438968/ref=sr_1_3/026-8645361-4234823?ie=UTF8&s=books

    or

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kings-Gambit-Swashbuckling-Openings-Batsford/dp/0713484519/sr=8-4/qid=1166438968/re ...[text shortened]... 61-4234823?ie=UTF8&s=books

    Do you have any better suggestions for intermediate 1500 players?
    My only book on the Kings Gambit is by Korchnoi and is years old.

    Its good, within limitations as I have been caught out a number of times by more recent innovations that refute the old lines.

    I am looking at buying all the books you suggest as too many can't hurt me.
  6. 18 Dec '06 15:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by PawnChop
    i have the book but haven't started reading it yet. I've had a cursory look and it's very indepth with lots of explanations. Looks very promising.
    Ok great! Make sure you let me know.

    By the way:

    Game 2880816

    I heartily approve - nice one
  7. 18 Dec '06 20:48
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    They're my 2 favourites as well.
    Which books would you suggest for KG?
    I was thinking:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fascinating-Kings-Gambit-Thomas-Johansson/dp/1412046475/sr=8-3/qid=1166438968/ref=sr_1_3/026-8645361-4234823?ie=UTF8&s=books

    or

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kings-Gambit-Swashbuckling-Openings-Batsford/dp/0713484519/sr=8-4/qid=1166438968/re ...[text shortened]... 61-4234823?ie=UTF8&s=books

    Do you have any better suggestions for intermediate 1500 players?
    A KG book is being made and will be out by February from Everyman Chess. It looks excellent, Tony gave me the info. about it - I'm waiting for it.
  8. Donation !~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    18 Dec '06 21:09
    Being a former KGist myself, I have to say that far and away the best book on it to date is Joe Gallagher's "Winning with the King's Gambit". If you can find this, buy it immediately. Joe Gallagher is probably one of the best GM KG players ever, and has probably played it with more regularity than a lot of other well known players. Not to mention he has a sick attacking style which fits well with the opening and he is a great writer. GET IT. And it's true, Jonathon Tait has new book coming out in less than a month on the KG. Should be all around interesting.
  9. 18 Dec '06 21:22
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Being a former KGist myself, I have to say that far and away the best book on it to date is Joe Gallagher's "Winning with the King's Gambit". If you can find this, buy it immediately. Joe Gallagher is probably one of the best GM KG players ever, and has probably played it with more regularity than a lot of other well known players. Not to mention he has a s ...[text shortened]... as new book coming out in less than a month on the KG. Should be all around interesting.
    Yeah, I want that Gallagher book.
  10. Donation !~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    18 Dec '06 21:23
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Yeah, I want that Gallagher book.
    It's actually a crime against you that you don't already.
  11. 18 Dec '06 21:25
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    It's actually a crime against you that you don't already.
    I looked for it - it's not too easy to find though.
  12. Donation !~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    18 Dec '06 22:10
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I looked for it - it's not too easy to find though.
    True dat. It cost me a little bit of change, but worth it for the sickening games in there.
  13. 19 Dec '06 00:38
    am I the only one who feels that white doesn't get enough compensation for the pawn in the Morra??
  14. Donation !~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    19 Dec '06 01:55
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    am I the only one who feels that white doesn't get enough compensation for the pawn in the Morra??
    No, I think it sucks.
  15. Donation briancron
    nunquam perdo
    19 Dec '06 02:01
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    I looked for it - it's not too easy to find though.
    http://search.ebay.com/Winning-with-the-Kings-Gambit_W0QQfromZR40QQsatitleZWinningQ20withQ20theQ20KingQ27sQ20Gambit