1. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    03 Nov '10 10:361 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    🙂

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjsh2j7W6Bo

Sang it all day at work yesterday and now everybody is singing it.

Frank Sinatra played chess. The song 'My Way' is all about a
    guy losing a game of chess...listen to it.
    I haven't seen that video before. I think the only time I saw her was the Boots song.

In the end of the video, I think she got lost in Sugartown. Those forests can be tricky!

I have both versions of My Way (Elvis and Sinatra).

I got obsessed with the Stones - "You're Out Of Time" not too long ago.

Now every time when a guy flags online, I sing a verse of the chorus.

🙂
  2. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    03 Nov '10 17:15
    Great! Hadn't seen that either, never heard this song before. Its catchier than its a small world. OK no its not, sorry I mentioned that blasted tune..

Shushushushushushushu sugartown 🙂
  3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Nov '10 00:361 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    The a1 Rook is the new King.

The first computer tournament win v a human.

What the hell is a sockdolager?

and Nancy Sinatra...

Blog 4
    [/b]
    When I was new to chess I bought an old copy of Horowitz's "Chess Openings: Theory and Practice".

As I flipped through it, I noticed that the King's Indian Defense, the Pirc Defense, and the King's Indian Attack all were the same position after 5 moves. Ol' beginner me thought "Wow! If I play these, I can go 5 moves into any game without being out of book! Brilliant!"

Fifteen years later GM Yasser Seirawan writes "Winning Chess Openings", and in it he advocates the KIA, the KID, and the Pirc for the very same reason.

And he still doesn't give me credit.
  4. gumtree
    Moves
    04 Nov '10 15:07
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    When I was new to chess I bought an old copy of Horowitz's "Chess Openings: Theory and Practice".

As I flipped through it, I noticed that the King's Indian Defense, the Pirc Defense, and the King's Indian Attack all were the same position after 5 moves. Ol' beginner me thought "Wow! If I play these, I can go 5 moves into any game without being ou ...[text shortened]... e KID, and the Pirc for the very same reason.

And he still doesn't give me credit.
    And then some charmless Herbert goes and plays 1. g3 or f4 or b3 or... and you are out of book on move 1.
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 02:01
    Originally posted by Diophantus
    And then some charmless Herbert goes and plays 1. g3 or f4 or b3 or... and you are out of book on move 1.
    Nah, they all transpose. As a rule, 1.3 usually turns into the fianchetto variation for either the KID or the Pirc, 1. f4 turns into either an Austrian Attack against the Pirc or the Four Pawn Attack vs the KID, depending on black's move order, and most often I see 1. b3 turning into positions that resemble the Colle Zuckertort.

Of course, there are plenty of other possibilities, but it is extremely difficult to force a black player out of the KID/Pirc formation. I have played all three moves myself as white, and the KID/Pirc formation is the one I least like to see- black is safe early, and has clear plans for counterplay, so there is very little chance of making a positive contribution to the "Mate in 20 moves" thread!

Not to mention that there are plenty of people who enjoy playing against the Pirc or the KID.
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 02:371 edit
    ...1. f4 turns into either an Austrian Attack against the Pirc or the Four Pawn Attack vs the KID...
    hey, thanks, I never even came to think they might've been aiming for pirc or KID against reversed leningrad. I always thought they were just winging it, and winged it right back at them. I always wondered why so many guys responded with d6 to my f4, which seemed just crap & random. but it seems plausible that they were aiming for pirc. I'll look into it.

not that it was ever any trouble, but I'm sure there are pirc related ideas I never thought of.
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 03:03
    Originally posted by wormwood
    hey, thanks, I never even came to think they might've been aiming for pirc or KID against reversed leningrad. I always thought they were just winging it, and winged it right back at them. I always wondered why so many guys responded with d6 to my f4, which seemed just crap & random. but it seems plausible that they were aiming for pirc. I'll look into it.
    ...[text shortened]... t that it was ever any trouble, but I'm sure there are pirc related ideas I never thought of.
    I've played the Leningrad Bird, too ( I call it the St Pete Bird, in part because I also live close to St Petersburg, Florida, USA, but that's a joke for another day!), and it's not unusual for me to see black throw in ...c5 and give me e2-e4 for free, and we end up in a Closed Sicilian by a roundabout move order.

(Editorial comment- I think the Closed Sicilian where white gets in an early f4 is basically an English/Leningrad Dutch with colors reversed, and where the "Dutch" Player gets in his highly-desirable "e4" on move one!)

What has made it successful for me is that those who play against the Closed Sicilian often play the d6/e6/g6/Nge7 stuff, and they are in unfamiliar territory on the black side of a ...Nf6-style Closed Sicilian.
  8. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 03:07
    Originally posted by wormwood
    ...[text shortened]... t that it was ever any trouble, but I'm sure there are pirc related ideas I never thought of.
    Second note- if they don't know you are going to fianchetto as a Bird player, 1. ... d6 puts the kibosh on the Stonewall Attack immediately (white is not likely to play the thematic Ne5), and forces White to play other Bird lines.

It's not as on target against a Leningrad Reversed/Polar Bear player, but I can see the idea behind it.
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    05 Nov '10 03:48
    ...I call it the St Pete Bird, in part because I also live close to St Petersburg, Florida, USA, but that's a joke for another day!...
    yeah, I get it. I live in helsinki, a short trip away from leningrad/petersburg. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree