1. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Apr '06 20:04
    Introduction

I've always responded to d4 with the Nimzo/Bogo Indian (if Nf3). These are all solid responses employed even at the highest level. Even in the most trying situations, Black is left with only a slightly inferior position. However, sometimes, this isn't enough.

The Bogo-Indian positions are somewhat frustrating. They offer White a lasting advantage in development and tend to be ultra drawish. (think 48%!) Thus, not only does it leave Black with an inferior game, it also leaves black with few winning chances. Needless to say, I am looking for a substitute.

I've been looking at the Queen's Indian with b6 instead of Bb4. The Queen's Indian is the most common GM choice in these positions and it's well known for its solidity. However, Black scores only a little better and draws almost 46% of the time. Again, not something I look forward to.

New Weapon

Searching for a less drawish opening which is still solid, I've come across the offbeat Black Knight's Tango. It goes like this: 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 Nc6!? At ~30% for draws, I'm already interested. Even more remarkable, out of ~1300 games, Black scores an excellent 51%. It's surprising it isn't played more often. Apart from Christiansen, Yermolinsky, Bologan, Epishin and Zvjaginsev, I haven't seen any strong GMs using this opening.

What do you guys think about this opening and why wouldn't it be played more often?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Apr '06 21:01
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    Introduction

I've always responded to d4 with the Nimzo/Bogo Indian (if Nf3). These are all solid responses employed even at the highest level. Even in the most trying situations, Black is left with only a slightly inferior position. However, sometimes, this isn't enough.

The Bogo-Indian positions are somewhat frustrating. They offer White a lasting ...[text shortened]... What do you guys think about this opening and why wouldn't it be played more often?
    I think the reason is that White can head for the Milner-Barry variation of the Nimzo Indian (E33) 1.d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. Qc2 Nc6
    which does not have such a good hit rate at top level - not since the 1940's at any rate. If this transposition (1.d4 Nf6 2. c4 Nc6 3. Nf3 e6 4. Nc3 Bb4 5. Qc2) is avoided Black (by d5 or d6 for example) he has to contend with the fact that his natural pawn break c5 is obstructed by Nc6, or that he has lost tempo in comparison with normal QGD lines.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Apr '06 23:10
    True, but after d6 Black still has a good game and scores above average with 48%.
  4. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 Apr '06 23:151 edit
    Introduction

The Bogo-Indian positions are somewhat frustrating. They offer White a lasting What do you guys think about this opening and why wouldn't it be played more often?
    Try the Benko. 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5. Black gives up a pawn for activity down the a&b files. Its quite easy to play, the black pieces flow to their best squares and black often gets the initiative forcing white to defend his A and B pawns. One of the secrets of the opening is for black to trade the knights, since those are the main pieces holding whites position together, once the knights are off white often collapses in a hurry. The opening is played by various top players, Topalov, Judit Polgar, Leko and Adams just to name a few.
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 May '06 00:121 edit
    I know there are other openings besides the Nimzo/Bogo and Black Knight's Tango. However, this thread is specifically for the Black Knight's Tango as it doesn't seem to have much coverage. Though I agree, the Benko is also worth considering. Black scores a healthy 48%.
  6. Joined
    11 Jun '05
    Moves
    01 May '06 02:19
    I used to use the Black Knight's Tango but it doesnt seem as aggressive as the Nimzo IMO.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 May '06 03:45
    Seriously? My impression is the opposite. But then again, I don't know much about it. What line specifically do you feel is not aggressive enough?
  8. Under Cover
    Moves
    01 May '06 09:40
    There are a series of articles at jeremysilman.com regarding this opening.

http://www.jeremysilman.com/chess_opng_shrtcts/01_black_knights_tango.html
  9. back in business
    Moves
    01 May '06 12:02
    why not try KID? it is not drawish and gives black excellent counterplay.
  10. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    01 May '06 12:19
    All my knoledge of the Tango comes from that Silman site, and GM Benjamin says it better than I. Hence, definatly check it out. It looks solid enough.

As far as the benko, the Epishen variation (Rb1) is right now considered to be a very good reply for white. That said, the benko is generally very easy to play as black typically gains the initiative early.
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    01 May '06 13:38
    Do you mean the Benko Gambit? I keep losing when I play it. Guess I am playing bad moves.
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 May '06 13:48
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    why not try KID? it is not drawish and gives black excellent counterplay.
    The KID isn't bad either. But several lines are too difficult for Black imo.
  13. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    01 May '06 14:511 edit
    What do you think about this?

Game 2025009

I've won with it 2 out of 2 times... but what is this opening called?

Anyone care to analyze?

Edit, If white were to go 2. e4 then black can play the french, 2... d5
  14. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    01 May '06 17:30
    Originally posted by gambit3
    Do you mean the Benko Gambit? I keep losing when I play it. Guess I am playing bad moves.
    Pinkski has a very good book on it right now (published 2005). That said, if you every really think you know it, try playing it against seraphimvulture...
  15. Joined
    11 Jun '05
    Moves
    01 May '06 21:19
    Seriously? My impression is the opposite. But then again, I don't know much about it. What line specifically do you feel is not aggressive enough?
    I guess because in the Nc3 variation where Black plays e5 and white is forced to push up with d5. It turns into a kind-of closed game and I dont like to play closed games. I mean I may use it sometimes because not alot of people have seen it and can be confused for being offbeat etc.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree